From a development perspective, how do we improve our hitting?

As an organizational whole, what do we need to change in our approach?

I know the game as a whole has changed due to analytics and it is personally painful to watch the all or nothing approach.

Do we discount batting average completely and accept that multitudes of strikeouts are acceptable for the occasional home run?

Will this translate to the big league level?

It seems some of our top hitting prospects have turned it around a bit in the second half.  Specifically Burdick and Misner.

Watching guys like Bleday, Victor Victor, and Nunez struggle to hit their weight is almost as painful to watch as a Juan Pierre versus Magneuris Sierra home run derby.

Any and all thoughts and suggestions as well as debate are appreciated.

10 hours ago, Entendu said:

Draft better hitters

Ya know ... I think we draft decent enough hitters, but it's really coming down to whatever the organization's philosophy is with hitting. Maybe it's one of those "give it enough time and it'll work" things but it ended up being installed waaay late in this rebuild. If we could have had this philosophy started in 2018 or 2019, maybe things are a bit different, maybe guys are clicking with it ... who knows for sure.

Hopefully next year something works out ...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Entendu said:

Draft better hitters

We drafted really good hitters and ruined them by changing their approach. Bleday played at Vandy. He was facing High A/Double A comp every week in the SEC and he raked and hit everything. It didn’t matter if it was fastball or a breaking pitch. Goes to the Marlins and all of the sudden he “can’t” hit. Why? Because we tried changing something that isn’t broken. The prof that it’s development and not drafting better hitters is De La Cruz. He has a completely different approach than the whole time. Why? The Astros know wtf their doing. We don’t.

44 minutes ago, WillyumKeef said:

This. Everyone’s calling Bleday a sure thing and he can’t get above the Mendoza

He was a sure thing. WE fucked him. Just like we fucked Burdick who was also one of the best hitters in a that class filled with hitters. 

Again, if you play in the SEC or ACC then your facing Single A/Double A comp almost every series. He raked. Now he can’t. It’s us, not them.

Edited by ZfromCIS
  • Like 1

I don't know the answer but it's gotta be some issue in development because I was thinking yesterday of how many hitters we've acquired the last several seasons and we don't need them all to be superstars but just a fair number of them and it's almost as if not one of them has figured it out.

On the pitching side, not everyone has worked out either but several have broken through and that's what we don't have when it comes to hitting.

They need to really evaluate the hitting philosophies.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I don't know the answer but it's gotta be some issue in development because I was thinking yesterday of how many hitters we've acquired the last several seasons and we don't need them all to be superstars but just a fair number of them and it's almost as if not one of them has figured it out.

On the pitching side, not everyone has worked out either but several have broken through and that's what we don't have when it comes to hitting.

They need to really evaluate the hitting philosophies.

Pitching is totally on Mel. As in how good of a job he’s doing. Nobody talks about pitching but you’re right. We can’t identify relief pitching for the life of us. I’m afraid if a bigger ball club pays the big bucks once his contract is up then we’ll lose our only advantage.