What to do with Alfaro ?

taiwanmarlin

17 hours ago, ZfromCIS said:

He’s batting .235 with a 28 % k rate and a .1 WAR. He grades as the worst starting OF in baseball.

His wRC+ is 102. That means 2 percent better than average. Batting average is a dated stat that is devoid of context. If he was a singles hitter, that number would be telling, but he hits for extra bases at a high enough clip that that his batting average is misleading. The WAR is only so low because Fangraphs rates his defense as poor. Defensive metrics vary so wildly so you should check how they rate on other sites. For Baseball Reference, he rates as around average. For Baseball Prospectus he rates as just above. Also, Fangraphs uses UZR which needs adjustment.

All of that together does not scream worst starting OF in baseball. And for the record, he is a rookie. How many active players can you name that peaked as a rookie?

On 8/29/2021 at 4:31 PM, Das Texan said:

LF is far easier than 3b.

You dont need the quick reaction time in LF you do at 3b, but you know that since you played it so much.

THIS IS WHAT I SAID ABOUT THE OUTFIELD (LEFT FIELD).  THAT IT IS EASIER THAN 3B.  NOT THAT IT WAS EASY IN GENERAL.  

Since some want to believe I said playing outfield was easy.  

*caps added on purpose*

@ZfromCIS

On 8/29/2021 at 3:03 PM, ZfromCIS said:

Play him at 3rd. He’s a completely different hitter outside of being behind the plate. He offers more power, more athleticism, and a bigger arm than BA. We need a replacement. Anybody thinking BA should be extended and is part of this teams future is insane. He’s such an overrated part of this team.

This is hilarious.

So BA isn’t the answer at 3B but Jorge Alfaro, who is worse, might just be the guy…

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, Erick said:

This is hilarious.

So BA isn’t the answer at 3B but Jorge Alfaro, who is worse, might just be the guy…

Did I say that? Or did I say give him a shot and see if we can create more depth?

Do you always like putting words in people’s mouths? Or is critical thinking not your forte?

Edited by ZfromCIS

1 hour ago, Erick said:

This is hilarious.

Also last time I checked (since you like picking and choosing which post you want to respond to) This is what we should do at 3rd. Apparently @SonOfJack has dementia.

https://www.marlinsbaseball.com/topic/78848-what-to-do-with-alfaro/?do=findComment&comment=1792172&_rid=14449

15 hours ago, ZfromCIS said:

Also last time I checked (since you like picking and choosing which post you want to respond to) This is what we should do at 3rd. Apparently @SonOfJack has dementia.

Ironic you mention picking and choosing what you want to respond to.

Pot meet kettle. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 2:41 AM, ZfromCIS said:

Or ship BA out of here because he fucking sucks like the rest of this team. Move an aging Miggy to 3rd and sign a SS.

Just looked at his numbers. He has a 101 wRC+ according to fangraphs which means 1 percent better than league average. This has been his worst year health and numbers wise but he has still been league average offensively. He has had a slight positive value defensively and running as well. He is not the one weighing the team or his position down. Good chance he rebounds next year assuming he stays healthy.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Are we sure Stallings is the answer though? I don't know much about him but seems like he was nothing until a strong 2020. Sounds like the kind of guy who we trade a lot for and suddenly he goes back to being nothing. Plus he's already almost 32, could have already peaked. Doesn't sound like a sure thing to me, might be buying too high on him. 

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Are we sure Stallings is the answer though? I don't know much about him but seems like he was nothing until a strong 2020. Sounds like the kind of guy who we trade a lot for and suddenly he goes back to being nothing. Plus he's already almost 32, could have already peaked. Doesn't sound like a sure thing to me, might be buying too high on him. 

If he remains a good receiver and is at about a 85-90 wRC+ for three years while Joe Mack develops, he'd be absolutely fine.