MLB Proposal To Players Association Included Changes To Service Time Structure

rmc523

MLB's proposal to service time changes.  There is a lot more info at the link here and the link within the article, but here's the opening paragraph.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/09/mlb-proposal-to-players-association-included-changes-to-service-time-structure.html

Major League Baseball proposed a radical altering of the league’s service time structure in collective bargaining discussions with the MLB Players Association last month, reports Joel Sherman of the New York Post. The league’s proposal included an offer to make players eligible for free agency at 29.5 years of age. It also involved a $1 billion pool (which would be tied to revenues in future seasons) that would be dispersed in an unspecified manner to replace the current arbitration system.

------

I don't see the union going for it with a straight age limitation, but here are some details with a lot more a the link.  I could see them wanting both the age and some sort of "years after debut" limitation for players that get called up earlier.

26 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

MLB's proposal to service time changes.  There is a lot more info at the link here and the link within the article, but here's the opening paragraph.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/09/mlb-proposal-to-players-association-included-changes-to-service-time-structure.html

Major League Baseball proposed a radical altering of the league’s service time structure in collective bargaining discussions with the MLB Players Association last month, reports Joel Sherman of the New York Post. The league’s proposal included an offer to make players eligible for free agency at 29.5 years of age. It also involved a $1 billion pool (which would be tied to revenues in future seasons) that would be dispersed in an unspecified manner to replace the current arbitration system.

------

I don't see the union going for it with a straight age limitation, but here are some details with a lot more a the link.  I could see them wanting both the age and some sort of "years after debut" limitation for players that get called up earlier.

I think it will almost be a x years of service or x age whichever comes first to free agency.  That makes sense.  

8 hours ago, Das Texan said:

I guarantee you the players association is not going to agree to any deal where a player has to wait 8-9 years for free agency 

😆

Unsurprisingly, Heyman is reporting the union has responded negatively to the proposals put forward thus far.

But I guess they're starting points, and showing that MLB is willing to actually change the system rather than keeping/tweaking the status quo.

17 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Unsurprisingly, Heyman is reporting the union has responded negatively to the proposals put forward thus far.

But I guess they're starting points, and showing that MLB is willing to actually change the system rather than keeping/tweaking the status quo.

i mean this idea so heavily favors the owners its not even funny.  The payroll floor is curious, but I bet they are including all spending, including draft picks and minor league compensation into that.

Anything to avoid paying extra.