Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Marlins/MLB Survey

I was sent this survey by the Marlins, very detailed and lengthy, it was a bit of a chore, but I suggest you all do it. Fyi this seems to be a survey directly from MLB for all thirty teams as opposed to coming from the team itself. It has some really odd and detailed questions like what month do you prefer attending games and what types of music should be played at games and whether or not music should even be played at all.

https://mcg.decipherinc.com/survey/selfserve/53b/g003/190883?list=9991&idtype=0&country=US&team=marlins&ID=00u7p86srqppqrjto356

What are team/fan rituals?  lol.

Yes, I'm to the what type of music do you want to hear.  Sorry guys, latin will not be making my list lol.

15 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

On a related note, I don't see the weekly questions on the dimelo page anymore.

They don't seem to be weekly anymore. Seems like a question just comes up whenever they need something answered.

As for the questions in the survey I tried to answer them as to what I thought would be best for the ballpark and the fanbase as a whole and not just what I personally wanted. 

Some of the questions were ridiculously confusing after a few times. Like why do I need to rate what's more important between pre or post game entertainment or between mascots and between inning entertainment, don't those go hand in hand? I think the general thought should be everything should always be looking to improve itself but I don't think I can really put an order of importance to those things which are supposed to just be a compliment to the on field entertainment to begin with.

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

They don't seem to be weekly anymore. Seems like a question just comes up whenever they need something answered.

As for the questions in the survey I tried to answer them as to what I thought would be best for the ballpark and the fanbase as a whole and not just what I personally wanted. 

Some of the questions were ridiculously confusing after a few times. Like why do I need to rate what's more important between pre or post game entertainment or between mascots and between inning entertainment, don't those go hand in hand? I think the general thought should be everything should always be looking to improve itself but I don't think I can really put an order of importance to those things which are supposed to just be a compliment to the on field entertainment to begin with.

Yeah I agree.  After the first few, it was like ok, this is getting ridiculous.  And like you said it was hard to choose from some.

While we are on the topic of in game experience for the fans, what does everyone think of the total experience now compared to 2017 and prior.  All jokes aside.  Leave your jokes about not knowing the score at the door.  The fans that post here are about as interested a group as you can find online so instead of putting everyone through a multiple choice survey I’d be more interested in reading longform feedback from people who participate on these forums.  I’ll start…these are personal opinions.  Everyone has a right to one.  I’m not saying mine is the correct point of view.  It is simply one persons point of view.  If I’m alone on an island then I would happily concede to the majority if a marketing strategy I don’t like is actually appealing to most people.  After all, that’s the point here….to get the most people possible happy and engaged in the product.  It’s a business out there to make money. 

Unless you have unlimited resources it is really hard to field a great baseball team year after year.  Baseball needs certain extra elements to charm fans.  For the most part those elements include things like a charming stadium that is an attractive place for people to spend an evening, a rich history that fans can fallback on for discussion when the current season has gone sideways, some semblance of hope for the future by way of young promising players on the field and in the farm, and lastly the window dressing stuff like promos/branding/etc.  For me, the game itself is enough to keep me coming back.  You can’t change anything material about the ballpark.  It is here and it will be the Marlins home for decades to come.  Unfortunately the team’s history is short on years so the well is shallow when it comes to stuff like that.  Personally I have really bought into what the baseball ops people have done to stack the farm and put pieces together to look for in years to come.  That part is really exciting.  It is probably the best thing that they’ve been able to do since the ownership change. 

The last element, the branding/marketing/in-game experience stuff….to me it is a shoulder shrug. 

The good: I wasn’t passionate about the old uniform set, so changing uniforms was something I was definitely on board with.  I think the new uniforms have the basic framework in place to be really good and I assume the team will make some tweaks to make them just right.  So that part has been fine.  The stadium food is good.

The not so good:  The in game entertainment is atrocious.  It doesn’t sound like baseball to me.  The audio is too loud (maybe I have some sensory disorder with my hearing….I don’t know).   It doesn’t sound like baseball in there to me.  I don’t want loud sirens and horns to pump me up.  I don’t want club music.  That’s not baseball to me.  If it is baseball to $2 million plus ticket buying people in Miami every year then Marlins Park should be a club I guess.  But right now there aren’t 2 million tickets sold and I don’t like it sounding that way.  Personal opinion.  The Marlins also seem to be going really hard at the Latin American market in just about everything they do.  I don’t see that manifesting itself in attendance.  I worry that the Marlins front office sees the popularity of the world baseball classic and mistakes passion for waving the flag for passion for baseball.  This isn’t baseball specific.  You see it in soccer.  There’s a ton of passion for the big national teams in South America and Europe.  It doesn’t always translate to passion for a specific club.  MLS tried this approach with Chivas USA and that club failed.  They took a team and marketed hard to the Mexican community in LA and it didn’t work out.  It feels like the Marlins are doing something similar. None of this is “bad”.  I’m totally indifferent.  But it seems like they’re spinning their wheels on something that wont ever matter to anyone.  I’m not in marketing so I can’t suggest anything different from what most MLB teams are already doing .  Like I said, I guess it can’t hurt.  I just don’t think those big crowds that turned up for DR games are going to come back for Marlins games because the team has redesigned their marketing strategy.  I think those fans are excited about their country of origin and they want to support those players.  When you put Marlins uniforms on them it changes the dynamic permanently. 

Ultimately the thing that matters most is having a winning team.  They’re working on it.  It will happen.  I do think it would help tremendously if a handful of home growns can break out next year and the team can do some of those team friendly extensions to buy out the arbitration years and give the fans a young core of talented players that are cost controlled for years which the team can market instead of marketing some version of what they perceive Miami to be.

THRILLHO, your comments are generally in agreement with me.  I have made comments and written the Marlins, through my rep, that some of the things they think the "S Florida fan" wants is just not correct.  The brass and drums sound like noise, not music, and just because it was present during the world baseball classic does not mean that the good attendance was because of it.

I did take offense early on because I believe that Jeter is more of a traditionalist but took advice of a basketball promoter that Miami baseball fans need noise.  It told me that Jeter did not think that we understand and appreciate the game the same way that New Yawkers do but that we need gimmicks to make it sound like the international series.  I like giveaways, I like the kids zones other teams build (but our kid zone really sucks) fun promotions during the game etc. and other teams do it also and we can easily build on this.  But we do understand the game and some day, if this rebuild works, maybe more fans will consistently come out and watch a good team.  Right now, putting Brinson out there every day tells me that the casual fan has no reason to commit.

My comments about the WBC not translating to the Marlins can be applied to all sports.  I don’t think there is as much crossover among international and club soccer fans as some people think.  In the 90s and early 00s Americans exposure to world class soccer was exclusively through international competition.  Today we get wall to wall games every weekend from the top leagues.  I count myself among fans that see international breaks as disappointing because the club games are so much more interesting.  But there’s an entire segment of the soccer watching population that feels the exact opposite. The olympics is popular because of national pride.  Not because of an interest in gymnastics and track   

I'll try to keep it fairly simple/short at the moment....

the bottom line is, unless/until the team wins, people won't show up:

-Miami is a bandwagon town

-the team has never had sustained success, and when it was successful for people to start believing in the team, it was always stripped down

-south Florida is also a town of transplants who have allegiance to teams from home.......and as to point #2, there's been nothing from the Marlins to cause them to switch, or at minimum root for the new "home" team when their home team isn't playing the Marlins.

Give those people a consistent winner, and they'll show up.

---

I also agree with Thrillho's comments - the Olympics comparison was a great one - the WBC is more a national pride thing than a let's go out for baseball kind of thing.  Sure, a chunk of those people are also baseball fans, but most are likely casual fans - the gymnastics/track metaphor was a good one.

That ties into the in game entertainment - I think the excessive pandering to the Latin crowd gets old fast.  And I'm not saying it needs to be a 100% traditional Yankees or Cubs baseball experience - I get what Miami is, but you don't have to go 100% Latin.  The drums and music can be neat.  But do we need it every inning of every game?  Do we need to BLAST music to where you can't hear people next to you?

The new food options seem great.

I'll also say, I commend them for trying different things.  But I think they need to scale back on some things and try other things.

Also related, I enjoyed the mascot race.  I think it was one of the few things Loria did well.  I don't know why they dumped that.  Partner with ZooMiami and make it the Florida wildlife race or something - Flamingo, Panther, Alligator, Manatee.

21 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Also related, I enjoyed the mascot race.  I think it was one of the few things Loria did well.  I don't know why they dumped that.  Partner with ZooMiami and make it the Florida wildlife race or something - Flamingo, Panther, Alligator, Manatee.

They need to make it fair.  The damn shark won almost all the time, except when they paid him off to lose a few.