NL Wild Card

Das Texan

1 hour ago, el_gmac said:

What’s funny about the Padres is this is their second attempt to arm a super team and their second time they’ve failed. AJ Preller head should roll but not sure how is he standing contract wise 

Its funny you mention that as there are more and more articles coming out about Preller and the job he has done.....

Reality is he SHOULD be fired along with Tingler.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, el_gmac said:

What’s funny about the Padres is this is their second attempt to arm a super team and their second time they’ve failed. AJ Preller head should roll but not sure how is he standing contract wise 

This team is very different than their previous super team. That was a push all your cards in roll of the dice, this is a more complete team that should still be good for a good while longer. 

19 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

They're falling short but overall the Padres are more competitive than they've been in a long time, I doubt Preller and Tingler are axed yet. 

They should be.  But 4-5 years from now they'll have a massive payroll & be a lower-tier team again because they bought their team rather than building it - they'll all be old & overpaid.

4 hours ago, cyoung said:

They should be.  But 4-5 years from now they'll have a massive payroll & be a lower-tier team again because they bought their team rather than building it - they'll all be old & overpaid.

Preller should have been sacked after his first idiotic disaster of a team build.

Padres ownership spent bigly.  

This is what they are getting.

Sad  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Das Texan said:

Preller should have been sacked after his first idiotic disaster of a team build.

Sad  

That was his first year.  They're not going to fire a new GM after year 1.

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

That was his first year.  They're not going to fire a new GM after year 1.

What are you talking about?

Preller has been there since 2014.

'I mean they shouldnt have fired him after the first abject failure.

But it should factor in after another inane idiotic team construction. 

13 hours ago, Das Texan said:

inane idiotic team construction. 

Care to elaborate? Not being funny and I haven't followed them as closely lately but didn't the Padres do a tear down and rebuild the farm and then supplement that with free agents and trades when they felt they were ready to compete? Isn't that the current ideal way to build a team? It fell short in 2021 but not sure how we can call out the Padres for "idiotic team construction."

19 hours ago, Das Texan said:

What are you talking about?

Preller has been there since 2014.

'I mean they shouldnt have fired him after the first abject failure.

But it should factor in after another inane idiotic team construction. 

You said:

"Preller should have been sacked after his first idiotic disaster of a team build.

Sad  "

I assumed your first line was referring to the original "all in" when they acquired a bunch of guys, which was his first year on the job.

They're not going to fire their new GM after 1 year.

--

Just like they just extended him again - they're not going to turn around and fire him weeks later.

6 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Care to elaborate? Not being funny and I haven't followed them as closely lately but didn't the Padres do a tear down and rebuild the farm and then supplement that with free agents and trades when they felt they were ready to compete? Isn't that the current ideal way to build a team? It fell short in 2021 but not sure how we can call out the Padres for "idiotic team construction."

That's right - they consistently had the #1 farm system for a while if they don't anymore.

3 hours ago, Michael said:

They no longer do but I mean, it was great for a looong time. May be still?

I recall for years their system was praised - even up until last offseason when they traded guys for Darvish and Snell.  Obviously trades have depleted it, but still.

They made dumb trades, and dumb signings.

The Tingler hire was idiotically stupid and more of an I'm smarter than you type of hire.

I'm not even sure what the fuck Preller was doing this trade deadline but basically not addressing his pitching rotation/staff at all.  I mean they traded for Frazier, but why?  

I'll get into the rest later.

Regardless, Tingler is gone.  Preller should also be gone.  Preller wont be sacked, and his extension was signed after they made all those winter moves to acquire Darvish and Snell largely, which has been 'ok'.  Its always curious when you trade with the Rays and acquire their top pitcher...

First the Rays pulled one over on the Pirates with Archer basically.

Now they might have done it with Snell.

Be leery of trading for the ace of the Rays staff, they are often 3 steps ahead of you as they have proven so many times over.

The Padres young pitching prospects have not worked out and you have to wonder why?  Gore has gone so far backward in the last year or so.  

You also almost have to question their medical staff with all the real curious decisions with pitcher injuries.  See Lamet.  

Granted they will probably be pretty good next year if all their pitching returns to health but damn its been a bad look this second half.  

And the lack of urgency to address the pitching staff, is appalling.  I mean it has been so fucking bad and they were backed into such a corner they were signing guys off the trash heap like Jake Arrietta and Vince Velasquez because Preller did such a fucking awful job at the deadline.