Thank you Kim!

Das Texan

On 9/26/2021 at 2:38 PM, SilverBullet said:

Question, remove 2020, if this 2021 team followed the 2019 team, would we feel more confident that this organization is headed in the right direction? 

2019 their record was 57-105

2021 their record is 64-91 with 7 games to go. 

They have 4 games against the Mets, and 3 against the Phillies.

The worst they could finish is 64-98.  That'd be a 7 game improvement.

The best 71-91, which isn't happening, but that'd be a 14 game improvement.

Realistically they'll probably win 3 of the 7?  Which would make their final record 67-95, a 10 game improvement over 2019.  While an improvement, I don't view that as good enough.   Obviously we don't know what they're doing in the offseason, but as it is, they're going to need a 20 game improvement to even be relevant/in striking distance in any postseason picture, more if you actually want to be in a postseason spot based off this season.  Do we see that happening?  It's all up to the FO if they actually want to do their jobs and spend some money.  In-house and scrap heap guys doesn't get it done., and would be another waste of a year of pitching.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Fotog said:

just listening to the podcast, and Mish is saying Nick Castellanos

Castellanos needs to opt out his current contract to become a FA, wondering have the identical deadline or not for the players that have the opt-outs clause in their contract to decide to opt out of the contract or not ?

Lol, I just got the answer by myself, 

https://www-mlb-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/stephen-strasburg-j-d-martinez-aroldis-chapman-opt-out-deadline.html?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#aoh=16331776699836&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=來源:%1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mlb.com%2Fnews%2Fstephen-strasburg-j-d-martinez-aroldis-chapman-opt-out-deadline

“Of course, each player’s contract has its own specific opt-out deadline”.

Edited by taiwanmarlin

Ng doesn't give me alot of confidence. 

After listening to Swings and Mishes...I 'm glad Mish trusts this regime...but he is also saying this offseason is kind if a last chance for them to get it right and keep this trust. Castellanos helps...but isn't fixing this mess. Not on a team that has Alfaro, Jackson, Leon, Brinson, Sierra, and no bullpen. And in reality...even getting Castellanos is a loooooong shot. 

I don't see how any of this ends well...front offices fail to make winning teams alot more than they succeed.

Just now, SonOfJack said:

Other teams who actually know how to contend.

Also potentially Jeffrey Loria though heavily backloaded when it should be front loaded.

Bingo.

Jeffrey would 100% be all in and pushing every chip he has for those two if not more.

Though you are right, very backloaded and would probably offload in half a season if they dont win right away, but still, he WOULD pony up. 

MLBTR had this quote from her after an appearance on MLB Network:

Bolstering the lineup will be an obvious priority for the club this offseason, and general manager Kim Ng acknowledged as much Friday afternoon in an appearance on the MLB Network. Most notably, Ng suggested ownership is prepared to support at least some measure of activity in free agency. “We are going to have some money to spend. … We feel that we are primed to do very well with the pitching set up as it is and with us being able to spend some money on bats this offseason.”

"SOME money".............

I'm already expecting them signing a few scrap heap guys that they'll try to pretend are huge moves about to win us the WS.

As has been said repeatedly, this is their last chance for me to keep "die hard" interest, and not shift into Stanton's "watch from afar" mentality.

Just now, Das Texan said:

Bingo.

Jeffrey would 100% be all in and pushing every chip he has for those two if not more.

Though you are right, very backloaded and would probably offload in half a season if they dont win right away, but still, he WOULD pony up. 

I mean.  I'm not sure backloading and then offloading after a season or two is necessarily "ponying up", but sure he'd put the number on paper for someone else to ultimately pay for a temporary feel good for fans lol.

Just now, rmc523 said:

I mean.  I'm not sure backloading and then offloading after a season or two is necessarily "ponying up", but sure he'd put the number on paper for someone else to ultimately pay for a temporary feel good for fans lol.

The final guaranteed number is ponying up.

He was just fortunate enough to know some idiot GM would take the contract from him.

2 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

The final guaranteed number is ponying up.

He was just fortunate enough to know some idiot GM would take the contract from him.

Eh.  I guess.

Paying 6M of a 100+M contract knowing full well the plan is to dump the guy AND give away half the farm to facilitate it isn't exactly ponying up in my book.  Yes, the number got the deal done, but it was a paper "ponying up" to me.

Edited by rmc523