2021 MLB Playoffs

Admin

51 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

It'd be nice to have a synced up view to show where he was when the ball went over, but at the very least he looked to be at least halfway between 2nd and 3rd already by the time the ball had landed, at which point I think he should be given 2 bases from where he was when it went out, which would be scoring.  Had he not passed second when it went over, I'd be ok with putting him at 3rd, because you can't assume he'd have scored from there.

Yeah that view isn't great. But he was definitely very near third.

Rays have just been eliminated.

On 10/7/2021 at 5:09 AM, Michael said:

I am sorry for your loss. 😞

It always seems like teams that have really long winning streaks always come up lame in the playoffs. The A's lost in the 1st round after winning 20. Indians after 23 wins (and as defending AL Champs) in 2017 and now the Cardinals.

On 10/9/2021 at 6:31 PM, Das Texan said:

You can all anything you want a decade technically.  Any 10 year consecutive period is a decade.

This is true. Technically the word century works the same way, but if you are going to term it the "21st Century", which is how most people consider it, then it starts in 2001.

4 hours ago, Michael said:

During the regular season, absolutely.

This, however, happened on a national stage. The rule changes occur under two circumstances.

1. National Stage

2. High-Profile Player / Team

My examples, and I'll admit some "apples to oranges" stuff here. First for #2:

No more home plate collisions. Buster Posey getting injured was the catalyst for this. Catchers got trucked for years, got hurt, and said "it's part of the game." Nowadays, young, high-profile star on a team that just won the World Series gets hurt? "We better change the rule." Brett Hayes got absolutely hammered in September of 2010 (ya know, the reason we went after Nyjer Morgan!). Nobody cared. "Part of the game."

To be fair they did quickly make changes to the catcher collision rule when it went against the mediocre Marlins in 2014 during a regular season game against the Reds.

5 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

To be fair they did quickly make changes to the catcher collision rule when it went against the mediocre Marlins in 2014 during a regular season game against the Reds.

They did.

Because a young, high-profile player (Stanton) was involved. His perfect throw got negated.

2 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

What happened to Yelich? He is barely better than league average now. While I firmly believe that we lost that trade badly, would still having Yelich even elevate the Marlins to where they need to be?

Back and leg injuries from carrying that team.