Hot Stove (2021-2022 offseason)

2 hours ago, Valid said:

I would assume most of you already saw this, but:

Hopefully "active" means offering legitimate deals to legitimate free agents rather than just making a few phone calls and offering "we tried" types of contracts.

EDIT: I see this was already posted in another thread. But oh well. Point still stands.

I posted this in the Kim thread, but it applies here too:

They have done things differently on the draft and farm system side, so I have a slight bit of hope they will spend now that the timing is in their plan, but am not overly confident in it.  It will not shock me at all if we get the whole "we tried, but couldn't agree to numbers with our targets" line.

The immediate walk back of "there's two sides" has me concerned, and makes it seem like he's already lining up reasons/excuses for them not signing anyone.

• Like 1

I don't think this ownership has ever said they were going to do something and then not do it... They've been pretty transparent about everything. I don't understand why Jeter's comment is being met with anything other than high optimism.

You may not be happy with the timeline, but it's not like he's said this before and not delivered.

They've invested in the draft, built one hell of a farm system, and now they ready to spend.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Entendu said:

I don't think this ownership has ever said they were going to do something and then not do it... They've been pretty transparent about everything. I don't understand why Jeter's comment is being met with anything other than high optimism.

You may not be happy with the timeline, but it's not like he's said this before and not delivered.

They've invested in the draft, built one hell of a farm system, and now they ready to spend.

This is fair.  I guess it's just being jaded by the past that makes me skeptical.  Add in last year's comedic glaring holes that went unaddressed heading INTO the season, and lack of trying to plug them via FA *Realmuto, cough cough* , let alone the moves/lack of them during the season, and it has me concerned.

That's great.  But I'll believe it when I see it......and we don't know what their "ready to spend" means........is it 5M?  Is it 10M?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Have no idea what the Rox's front office thinking, he's just not that good, maybe they just have no a really good SP like Alcantara.

@SongInTheAir nailed it in the thread for this signing. Rockies will always have to overpay for pitchers and Senzatela isn't *bad* either. Decent enough deal for them.

• Like 1

The fact that multiple different sources including local and national sources have said that the Marlins are going to be aggressive and Jeter has even said it himself makes me thing it is completely legit. They literally have no obligation to say this and given the animosity of the fanbase and media what would they have to gain about lying about it?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Michael said:

@SongInTheAir nailed it in the thread for this signing. Rockies will always have to overpay for pitchers and Senzatela isn't *bad* either. Decent enough deal for them.

There are far far far worse parks to pitch in now that the humidor exists.

The pitchers suck in Colorado line is an outdated and overused line by those who dont really pay attention, tbh.

The giant gaps are a far bigger factor at this point. 

4 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

The fact that multiple different sources including local and national sources have said that the Marlins are going to be aggressive and Jeter has even said it himself makes me thing it is completely legit. They literally have no obligation to say this and given the animosity of the fanbase and media what would they have to gain about lying about it?

Maybe it means have no more something like “Marlins is interested in a player but obviously the asking price is too high for them ” or “Marlins is interested in a player but obviously it's a long shot ” in the rumors. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Das Texan said:

There are far far far worse parks to pitch in now that the humidor exists.

The pitchers suck in Colorado line is an outdated and overused line by those who dont really pay attention, tbh.

The giant gaps are a far bigger factor at this point. 

I agree about the gaps, but has the humidor really dampened the balls that much to make Coors a "better" park to pitch in? Still appears to have a tooooon of homers. Ain't helping much.

10 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

We're lucky to not have a ballpark in the high altitude area. 

We need to move the left field wall in if we want any right handed bats to be successful here. Lol

(Not entirely true - just need better right handed hitters)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Michael said:

I agree about the gaps, but has the humidor really dampened the balls that much to make Coors a "better" park to pitch in? Still appears to have a tooooon of homers. Ain't helping much.

thats because the pitchers the rockies are throwing out there arent very good home or road.

opposing pitchers arent getting destroyed and you dont have nearly the 12-11 games you used to have there anymore. 

Its a much more fair ballpark than it was 10 years ago. 

4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

That's my constant worry with free agency, even if they want to spend they can always be outbid and we know this team isn't going to ridiculously overpay either, nor should they. There's no guarantee they get what they really want in free agency. 

Yeah, just same old Marlins. 

9 hours ago, rmc523 said:

If this is true, they're only planning on spending 40M total over x years spread out over x number of guys?  yikes.

No that doesn't seem right. Castellanos would fill the role that Marte would have filled if he accepted their extension offer. That offer was about 40M so that 40M would be their allocation for that one role, it's not their entire total budget.