Hot Stove

taiwanmarlin

58 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

There's always a part of free agency that means overspending and outbidding other offers, that's not what I'm talking about. 

I'm saying no need to recklessly throw $325 million at Castellanos or whoever. If you really want the Marlins to do that then you have a problem.

Ya but nobody is recklessly throwing that kind of money at Nick.

But at the same time the inference was they shouldnt overpay for a free agent.

they NEED to overspend for a free agent or two for so many reasons.

They are fucked in that the position they need the most help at offers no real viable solutions, so......

45 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I agree. I'm saying they still have to make the right offers and there's always a chance even the right offers aren't enough. I'm pretty sure @taiwanmarlin wants them to spend like idiots to make sure they get a new free agent at every position.

I said they at least need to win one big bidding war and not for many. What's the right offer ? nobody knows because it's decided by the market itself. 

5 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

They are fucked in that the position they need the most help at offers no real viable solutions, so......

I agree with this. Wasn't clear on what I meant by overspending.

2 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

I said they at least need to win one big bidding war and not for many. What's the right offer ? nobody knows because it's decided by the market itself. 

I agree but the Marlins can do everything right in free agency and still miss out at some points, that's my concern with free agency, there's always a major part of it that's out of the team's control.

1 hour ago, Das Texan said:

I agree that given the team's history, they'll have to overpay for any FAs, but even then there's a limit to the overspending......to build on @SilverBullet's example, you don't give Castellanos 300M when his market is maybe half that.....it's market + 10% or something.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I agree that given the team's history, they'll have to overpay for any FAs, but even then there's a limit to the overspending......to build on @SilverBullet's example, you don't give Castellanos 300M when his market is maybe half that.....it's market + 10% or something.

Of course. And odds are if they actually did market + 10% they'd be able to land at least one guy they are going for, assuming some other club doesn't overpay more than that. If we do see a target such as Castellanos sign elsewhere for a market deal, we can likely assume they didn't try hard if at all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Of course. And odds are if they actually did market + 10% they'd be able to land at least one guy they are going for, assuming some other club doesn't overpay more than that. If we do see a target such as Castellanos sign elsewhere for a market deal, we can likely assume they didn't try hard if at all.

Yup, exactly.

11 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I agree. I'm saying they still have to make the right offers and there's always a chance even the right offers aren't enough. I'm pretty sure @taiwanmarlin wants them to spend like idiots to make sure they get a new free agent at every position.

If only they made an effort last offseason, right?

6 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/10/looking-for-a-match-in-a-willson-contreras-trade.html

Of course MLB have not a team named Marlins that needs Contreras very much, don't blame MLBTR because this team still not deserve the respect from the world. 

It’s not even really a respect thing. He has one more year of control, he’s not the player the marlins need at this point so it isn’t really likely that he’d even be a real target at this point.

Trading from the pitching for a good controllable catcher is a good idea but contreras isn’t controllable anymore. 

48 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

It’s not even really a respect thing. He has one more year of control, he’s not the player the marlins need at this point so it isn’t really likely that he’d even be a real target at this point.

Trading from the pitching for a good controllable catcher is a good idea but contreras isn’t controllable anymore. 

This team should trying to acquire the best players and not the controllable players if they're determined to win.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

If they can work out an extension as part of the trade, that's one thing.  But yeah, with only a year left, he's not the guy.

• Like 1