The Facebook

Johnny Reb

Thoughts?

Discussion?

Concern?

The post modern era's big Tobacco.

This is what happens when you eschew regulation for profit and big money donors.

Corruption winning out over consumer protection in Washington.

Thank you overlords. 

I've never used Facebook or Instagram or any of them that much - I have profiles, but only post occasionally - usually bigger things like trips or whatever - who cares that I got a sandwich at ABC sandwich.

But I know a lot of people are addicted to those platforms - my mom is one of them - she's always on facebook, though she claims she isn't lol.  I guess I'm here/on forums a lot and play video games more than I should too, so we all have our vices, but still....

How do we fix it?  I don't know - I think all their self-imposed limitations of what can and can't be posted on those platforms are skewed, in that it seems like some content is just fine while other stuff is blocked because it's a different viewpoint.

The fact they actively exploit/target the addictive component, while good for business I guess, isn't good for people in general.  It becomes a narcissistic echo chamber.

10 hours ago, rmc523 said:

How do we fix it?  I don't know - I think all their self-imposed limitations of what can and can't be posted on those platforms are skewed, in that it seems like some content is just fine while other stuff is blocked because it's a different viewpoint.

Its called self regulation.

Because that ALWAYS goes well with no downsides. 

in ANYTHING known to man.  

Reality is that the Internet still by and large is the wild wild west with little real controls that mean anything end of day, easily exploited and taken advantage of by the strong and saavy.

And Washington continues to just have their head in the sand.

Largely I'd assume because they are profiting 'bigly' over Big Tech, so why would they act against their own self interests.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Das Texan said:

What as the point?

That Facebook has forgone any type of morality and decency for profits?

That Facebook badly needs to be regulated like the telecom industry is relegated?  

Or what exactly?

Yeah.

Banning a US President - regardless of anyone's personal views/agree or disagree with the guy - in itself is ridiculous, and on top of that meanwhile letting other actually "questionable at best" and worse global characters remain on there is even far more absurd.

• Like 1