Jacob Stallings acquired for Thompson, Nicolas and Scott

I’m thrilled with this trade. Getting an elite defensive catcher with a little pop without giving up anyone projected to be a key piece (like Bleday, Eury, Meyer, etc.).

This also means I wouldn’t mind them trading a high-end starter to get that elite CF, even if that starter is someone like Meyer, Pablo, Elieser, Sixto, or Cabrera (or McCambley/Eder, but I consider them a tier below those other guys), because they’d still have really strong depth after that.

• Like 1

If you don’t like this move then you are blind. First off he is great defensively which is such a plus for the young pitching staff. FOR YOU GUYS SAYING HE CANT HIT??? He is decent check the numbers and are you guys forgetting what we had at the catching position? Alfaro, Leon etc they can barely crack .200. This is a major upgrade for the team at one of the most important position needs!!! Lets gooo!! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Florida Marlins said:

If you don’t like this move then you are blind. First off he is great defensively which is such a plus for the young pitching staff. FOR YOU GUYS SAYING HE CANT HIT??? He is decent check the numbers and are you guys forgetting what we had at the catching position? Alfaro, Leon etc they can barely crack .200. This is a major upgrade for the team at one of the most important position needs!!! Lets gooo!! 

Enthusiasm is great. 

They still need another HUGE bat. I'm not sure if its Mullins, Castellanos, or  Bryant...or it is hoping for De La Cruz or Sanchez to take a Mullins like step...

My gut tells me they pretend its Taylor...and really they are hoping to be within 10 games of the Mets by the time they call up more minors...it is the Marlins way.

Maybe BA and Cooper are filthy this year?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Major-Minor said:

Enthusiasm is great. 

They still need another HUGE bat. I'm not sure if its Mullins, Castellanos, or  Bryant...or it is hoping for De La Cruz or Sanchez to take a Mullins like step...

My gut tells me they pretend its Taylor...and really they are hoping to be within 10 games of the Mets by the time they call up more minors...it is the Marlins way.

Maybe BA and Cooper are filthy this year?

If everything goes right and they make a few more decent moves, it is not inconceivable that the Marlins could be like the 2021 Brewers next year. Near the top of the league in pitching and around league average in offense. The Marlins did have a positive run differential as late as August 5th. I really think that the team gave up after the trade deadline. Infuse some life and get a little bit better health luck and the team will fight hard to the end and could surprise people. At the very least our biggest hole on offense now looks like Lewin Diaz. Taylor could be that guy that solidifies the top of the order. Add Josh Harrison as well for injury insurance. Still a lot of ifs. Will BA bounce back? Will Lewin improve next season as much as Jesus Sanchez did this year? Will Sanchez, Jazz, and DLC be able to avoid the sophomore slump? Will everyone stay relatively healthy?

I personally think that next year, like this year, the team will have a larger than average margin between the ceiling and the floor. Last year a lot went wrong to where I think that we we much closer to the floor than the ceiling. Law of Large numbers says we will probably drift closer to the mean, so an improvement is likely.

16 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

If everything goes right and they make a few more decent moves, it is not inconceivable that the Marlins could be like the 2021 Brewers next year. Near the top of the league in pitching and around league average in offense. The Marlins did have a positive run differential as late as August 5th. I really think that the team gave up after the trade deadline. Infuse some life and get a little bit better health luck and the team will fight hard to the end and could surprise people. At the very least our biggest hole on offense now looks like Lewin Diaz. Taylor could be that guy that solidifies the top of the order. Add Josh Harrison as well for injury insurance. Still a lot of ifs. Will BA bounce back? Will Lewin improve next season as much as Jesus Sanchez did this year? Will Sanchez, Jazz, and DLC be able to avoid the sophomore slump? Will everyone stay relatively healthy?

I personally think that next year, like this year, the team will have a larger than average margin between the ceiling and the floor. Last year a lot went wrong to where I think that we we much closer to the floor than the ceiling. Law of Large numbers says we will probably drift closer to the mean, so an improvement is likely.

Marlins also play in a more difficult division and have a far weaker bullpen, but I get that point.

• 2 months later...
On 11/30/2021 at 11:37 PM, QbanCastillo said:

If the team stops dicking him around and give him more at-bats and a chance to get into a groove I think he'll do well.

Honestly even if he repeats the numbers from last year he’d be great for the line up. .800+ OPS, 35-40 HR projected over a full seasons worth of at bats, great defense and great arm. I’ll take it. 

Sure he K’d at a 34% clip last year which is not good by any means. But he also had like three straight games with a 3 run HR in the first or second inning. It’s ok if he strikes out 28%-30% of the time as long as the slugging continues. We just can’t have a lineup out there with him surrounded by Isan diaz, Alex Jackson, and Jorge Alfaro also striking out A third of the time (or nearly 60% in Jackson’s case...). They’re still missing that huge impact bat but they’ve definitely improved the lineup big time already.

7 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Honestly even if he repeats the numbers from last year he’d be great for the line up. .800+ OPS, 35-40 HR projected over a full seasons worth of at bats, great defense and great arm. I’ll take it. 

Sure he K’d at a 34% clip last year which is not good by any means. But he also had like three straight games with a 3 run HR in the first or second inning. It’s ok if he strikes out 28%-30% of the time as long as the slugging continues. We just can’t have a lineup out there with him surrounded by Isan diaz, Alex Jackson, and Jorge Alfaro also striking out A third of the time (or nearly 60% in Jackson’s case...). They’re still missing that huge impact bat but they’ve definitely improved the lineup big time already.

That’s just it.  You can have a guy or two that k a lot and hit home runs.  But you can’t have 4-5 guys that k a lot and are a mixed bag HR wise/leaning toward no contribution like we’ve had.

• Like 1