Don Mattingly Admits The Marlins Roster Is Poorly Put Together

9 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Conversely, could a Kiermaier move give them slightly more leverage in talks (i.e. present other teams "we don't need your guy, as we got Kiermaier") .......but I guess when you're pulling controlled guys away from another team, you have to make it worth it for them.

I think the KK route is + prospect.

Something like, you trade Pablo, Cooper, and Bass to the Angels for Marsh and a prospect or two. Then trade nothing to the Rays to absorb KK's full $12m. This is like +$4m dollars shedding the Marlins guys so not a big deal. Payroll low. You have the Marsh/Kiermaier platoon and your 4th OF is incredible. You have one of the best defensive OF in baseball when you go Marsh-KK-Garcia. All of us are happy with this as all major pitching prospects are preserved.

Pablo hurts, but.....then, you spend money for 100+ free agency innings. The problem now is, who is left out there? This should have been a December decision to fish through FA arms to find those 100+ innings. Maybe someone is good? Did Cueto ever sign? He's a stopgap.

I suppose this still could happen now, but it's just a lot of moving parts and not a single transaction that solves all. Laureano/Kemp/Trivino is kind of perfect assuming they can get away with it. And go nuts and add Montas and give them everything. There are a ton of variations to make that happen, including trading Anderson to a third team and those assets come part of the deal back to Oakland. Wendle-Rojas-Jazz with Kemp as your backup to all 3 works (he'd go to 2B and whoever would move around). Drop Laureano in the OF, and the Marlins preserve an extra one of the core prospects. Anderson also sheds more payroll.

It's the on-going story -  they have so many assets to use to make this happen it's their problem if the fail.

• Like 1

Sigh, with the minor league as stacked as it is, would be nice if we had a good CF prospect.  Seems like we haven't had one in forever.  I guess when you draft OF you look more for power, and then hope someone else just sort of materializes as a CF option.

I suppose there's still hope for Mesa.

1 minute ago, Hotcorner said:

Sigh, with the minor league as stacked as it is, would be nice if we had a good CF prospect.  Seems like we haven't had one in forever.  I guess when you draft OF you look more for power, and then hope someone else just sort of materializes as a CF option.

I suppose there's still hope for Mesa.

They whiffed on Brinson, Harrison, Scott, Misner (maybe), VVM, and Sierra. Maybe VMJR or Osiris take a meteoric rise this year. But neither is an option for years. They tried, and just failed miserably.

Although they certainly made it up in arms. At the end of the day, arms turned into Jazz, J. Sanchez, and Stallings, and that's fine. Time to do the same thing with CF. It's that easy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hotcorner said:

Right Brinson was the massive yikes here.  Ah well.  Yep plenty of arms to deal.

I still maintain everything makes sense and is generally positive since they took over. There are two issues:

1 - The Yelich trade was idiotic. We don't need to go over this again. They can never fix this.

2 - Not trading for (or signing) a CF now with a war chest of prospects and extremely low payroll, when you have a contending quality pitching staff and arguably a middle of the pack position crew with no weaknesses... just no stars. If the farm only had 3-4 marquee guys, I get it. But you can easily argue 7-10 of those prospects are really really nice. After the universal 5 top 100 guys (Watson, Meyer, Eury, Cabrera, and Sixto), Bleday, Burdick, and Salas all have made top 100 lists (Salas is FG 109 so I am taking some liberty), and I think there is consensus Eder would have made it if not hurt. Add in some love for Fulton, Mack, or I. Lewis, and this is a great pipeline. Some of them just gotta go. They missed on at least six major CF (Brinson, Harrison, Scott, Misner (maybe), VVM, and Sierra). They have to right that wrong. It's time.

• Like 1