Kim Ng - after first full year

I think you can make an argument the Marlins are the second-best team in the NL East right now. They’re well-rounded, they have a positive run differential, their team strength (their rotation) isn’t even at peak capacity and they have a legitimate superstar brewing in Jazz Chisholm Jr. The offense could use a tweak or two, but this looks like a potential second half (or even second quarter) surprise if you ask me.

MLB.com on the Marlins having the potential to surprise as the season goes along, very glass half full thinking but again more reason why Kim NEEDS to add to this team, this is not a lost season and this team could be strong with the right additions. Get me some urgency NOW!

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

And as @rmc523 others, and myself has said - if she were to be fired for incompetence the immediate headlines would be awful. "Marlins chase off greatest ballplayer of all time and fire first female GM!" I paraphrase but you know the headlines would really make the Marlins look awful. There would be ZERO mention of the many failures she's had that have been outline on here and the only thing brought up would be some of the trades during her tenure and then some random quotes about how her pedigree alone means she's more than qualified (even though she sucks at this).

Then again, there are like a few thousand Marlins fans left so if that's what it takes to get things turned back around then I'm all for it. We've endured worse.

Walking on eggshells with Kim.  This is what happens when you hire for optics.  Look at all the great press, national coverage from all media, even outside of sports.  The organization wanted this. "Historic" etc etc.  I don't care who is hired, just want someone to do the job.  After all the stuff wears off, we are back in the shadows, rarely talked about, although with a few competent moves we could contend, instead we are still on the outside.  This happened with Jeter also, we got all the recognition his name brought except no experience.  Three main stars shipped off and only the Ozuna trade provided anything-ok, yes, payroll relief for Stanton, that was not used for Marte but rather for Garcia and Soler.  So, in each case, Jeter and Ng, the lack of experience and/or ability has cost us.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fish53 said:

Walking on eggshells with Kim.  This is what happens when you hire for optics.  Look at all the great press, national coverage from all media, even outside of sports.  The organization wanted this. "Historic" etc etc.  I don't care who is hired, just want someone to do the job.  After all the stuff wears off, we are back in the shadows, rarely talked about, although with a few competent moves we could contend, instead we are still on the outside.  This happened with Jeter also, we got all the recognition his name brought except no experience.  Three main stars shipped off and only the Ozuna trade provided anything-ok, yes, payroll relief for Stanton, that was not used for Marte but rather for Garcia and Soler.  So, in each case, Jeter and Ng, the lack of experience and/or ability has cost us.

Maybe go back to 1953 with the sexist comments. You do care who is hired. Just own it. Sports fans are the worst.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MarlinsLou said:

Maybe go back to 1953 with the sexist comments. You do care who is hired. Just own it. Sports fans are the worst.

How is it a sexist comment when he literally said the same thing occurred with Jeter - a man?

45 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

How is it a sexist comment when he literally said the same thing occurred with Jeter - a man?

Don't enable people like this with comments like this.

Ng is a highly accomplished executive with over 30 years of baseball experience, with 13 of those as an assistant GM and another decade in the commissioner's office. Torre and Cashman - two of the better names in baseball the last few decades - absolutely love her and think she's brilliant.

Calling this optics over frustration with this season is a disgrace. We are better than this. Or should be. We can fault her for not getting a CF via a prospect trade, and maybe Garcia/Soler don't work so in a year from now those can be bombed, but call it as it is - sexist and no place even on a message board.

1 hour ago, MarlinsLou said:

You were just waiting to post that. Anything that even resembled whatever story you created in your head. Guy clearly wasn’t being sexist 

Just now, marlins_09 said:

You were just waiting to post that. Anything that even resembled whatever story you created in your head. Guy clearly wasn’t being sexist 

Waiting to post what? It's appropriate to call out assholes. See above. Disagree entirely. 

And I am right.

Just now, MarlinsLou said:

Don't enable people like this with comments like this.

Ng is a highly accomplished executive with over 30 years of baseball experience, with 13 of those as an assistant GM and another decade in the commissioner's office. Torre and Cashman - two of the better names in baseball the last few decades - absolutely love her and think she's brilliant.

Calling this optics over frustration with this season is a disgrace. We are better than this. Or should be. We can fault her for not getting a CF via a prospect trade, and maybe Garcia/Soler don't work so in a year from now those can be bombed, but call it as it is - sexist and no place even on a message board.

She's been pretty bad at just doing the day to day stuff any GM needs to do. I don't care what other people think of her. She's been pretty bad overall as our GM. Just having a lot of experience doesn't make you great at a job or even good once you get promoted. She just doesn't have it.

Just now, hovertical said:

She's been pretty bad at just doing the day to day stuff any GM needs to do. I don't care what other people think of her. She's been pretty bad overall as our GM. Just having a lot of experience doesn't make you great at a job or even good once you get promoted. She just doesn't have it.

So say she is doing bad. Go for it.

Don't say - thinly veiled - it's because she's a woman.

To note - you're not being a pig even if I disagree with your take on the moves.

1 minute ago, marlins_09 said:

I have ZERO doubt that YOU think you’re right. None. 

Cool story bro. Don't enable sexists and misogynists with these posts. You can choose your own side.

If you think Kim sucks - say it. It's not because she's a woman like that loser thinks.

2 minutes ago, MarlinsLou said:

To note - you're not being a pig even if I disagree with your take on the moves.

Who would’ve thunk that hiring someone who hadn’t been in a roster management role in 9 years might struggle with...roster management 

Dude you REALLY need to chill. I didn't say, nor did anyone else say, it's because she's a woman. You are literally looking for a fight for no reason. You can probably go back and see how literally all of us were excited she was coming on board. She's just been pretty bad at being a GM.

Cool story bro. Don't enable sexists and misogynists with these posts. You can choose your own side.

If you think Kim sucks - say it. It's not because she's a woman like that loser thinks.

That “loser” didn’t say she sucked because she’s a woman. At best, you can read that he’s saying she had a leg up getting the job because she’s a woman. But he also referred to Jeter in the same vein. 

Edited by marlins_09

1 minute ago, hovertical said:

Dude you REALLY need to chill. I didn't say, nor did anyone else say, it's because she's a woman. You are literally looking for a fight for no reason. You can probably go back and see how literally all of us were excited she was coming on board. She's just been pretty bad at being a GM.

Yes he did - optics hire.

Just now, marlins_09 said:

That “loser” didn’t say she sucked because she’s a women. At best, you can read that he’s saying she had a leg up getting the job because she’s a women. But he also referred to Jeter in the same vein. 

Yes he did - optics hire. She didn't earn her job because she's a woman after 30 years.

You realize this is the type of shit woman have been dealing with forever and maybe - just maybe - acknowledge it.

And for the record when he said optics hire I took that as a big name hire that a lot of people thought was a top notch decision. Just like how Jeter attaching his name to the ownership group was also for optics. It was to garner some easy respect for Miami for once.

Just now, MarlinsLou said:

Yes he did - optics hire. She didn't earn her job because she's a woman after 30 years.

You realize this is the type of shit woman have been dealing with forever and maybe - just maybe - acknowledge it.

You should really stretch before you start reaching so hard

1 minute ago, hovertical said:

He said that about Jeter too

So what? That has no bearing on comments made about Ng.

Also Jeter didn't have 30 years of experience. It's the furthest thing from optics with hiring Ng.

Maybe she is bad - but it's not because she's a woman.

4 minutes ago, hovertical said:

And for the record when he said optics hire I took that as a big name hire that a lot of people thought was a top notch decision. Just like how Jeter attaching his name to the ownership group was also for optics. It was to garner some easy respect for Miami for once.

Exactly. She worked for the Yankees? And could get some great quotes from respected people like Cashman/Torre out of it? That’s a PR dream. 

Sherman is a billionaire. He’s a business man. Those are huge wins for him. 

I’d bet every single interview they had could be considered an optics hire. Because those are the type of people this org values. The “splash” move, not the actual right move 

Edited by marlins_09