The Fire Kim Ng Thread

2 hours ago, hovertical said:

This offseason, trea turner should be priority numero uno if they were ballsy to put a Werth contract on the books - in particular with base stealing being easier than ever this upcoming season - guys who can get on base and who have speed should have some pretty damn good seasons. Good thing we have one of the slowest teams out there aside from Berti and Jazz. 

I don't disagree with you (and feel free to change Turner to literally anyone of Correa, Xander, Swanson, and Nimmo). I'd love a larger $110m budget.

But to suggest a different "Werth" contract path - Edwin Diaz. And yes I am an anti-signing expensive RP guys, but for *this* team nothing makes sense so do the opposite when things aren't working.

The thought process here is, he is very impactful (2.5+ WAR) and his contract is 50-66% less overall than any of those premium bats. He is an exciting player - the trumpets play in Miami for sure. That is extremely important for Bruce I imagine on $ and fun, including moving a top 10 RP at the deadline if the team sucks in say July 2025 should be easier if the ripcord of blowing it up again is pulled. I think Kim's pitch should be let's spend a little for 3 years and blow this shit up summer 2025 if we still suck. A year of Diaz is a lot easier to move than 5-7 years of one of these bats, etc. Don't create another Stanton situation unless you're committed to $125-150m payrolls in a few years to account for that. The current team is a dozen under .500 in 1 run games and clearly, and I'd say 6 of the best 7 players coming back next year are SP. Make the games shorter. I think we need to accept no matter what they do the offense is going to be average at best, so just keep doubling down on the pitching and make that incredibly special. Don't trade Pablo. Let the SP rip as literally everyone could be taking a step forward plus Eury/Eder are coming. Keep Floro also and trade for another reliever with some of Cooper/Rojas.

For the bats? Plant the flag and move out the farm - Salas/Miller or Millbrandt/J. Sanchez/top 15-25 guy for 1, and Cappe or Watson/Fulton/Lewis/top 15-25 guy for 2. These should get them pretty exciting players as these packages are not a joke at all even if much lower than the Yelich trade. The Marlins don't need any of these players as they'd still have plenty of arms and presumably many longterm bats. Or at least guys with service time (Fortes, Jazz, Groshans, Bleday, and Garcia, Berry, new arrivals, etc.). Plus likely another college bat pick 1-8 in 2023.

They could do it for $90m bucks in 2023 and get to a 40 WAR team projection. Which includes a top 5-7 overall pitching staff. With at least $25m of that disappearing into 2024 to pay for internal arbitration raises and another player. I'm not sure they can do much better than that absent really upping payroll, or trading Eury for a legitimate star bat which is a scary move.

We'll see. I hope you are right as Trea is PERFECT, but I'm sensing it's going to be something like this or Rizzo coming home. A name that only costs the 2-4 year contract.

21 minutes ago, MarlinsLou said:

We'll see. I hope you are right as Trea is PERFECT, but I'm sensing it's going to be something like this or Rizzo coming home. A name that only costs the 2-4 year contract.

I'd prefer Trea over Correa or anyone else as he's been more consistent and I feel he's going to be even better with rule changes next year. I won't complain if Correa was signed instead (unless he signs for more than Trea gets). I HAVE to believe Avi won't be THIS bad again next year. The dream is they get Turner and Nimmo (who actually stays healthy for the first time) and they also trade for a bat (who won't have to be as good as Reynolds if they sign the first two dudes).

None of it will happen though lol

20 hours ago, hovertical said:

That's way more explosive than anything the Marlins have done in two years.

The yearly implosion doesn't count?

2 hours ago, hovertical said:

Yeah but at least we'd have enjoyed the offseason? 

I'll take that over zero enjoyment of anything Marlins-related lately.

33 minutes ago, hovertical said:

I'd prefer Trea over Correa or anyone else as he's been more consistent and I feel he's going to be even better with rule changes next year. I won't complain if Correa was signed instead (unless he signs for more than Trea gets). I HAVE to believe Avi won't be THIS bad again next year. The dream is they get Turner and Nimmo (who actually stays healthy for the first time) and they also trade for a bat (who won't have to be as good as Reynolds if they sign the first two dudes).

None of it will happen though lol

Just sign someone noteworthy.

On 9/13/2022 at 5:16 PM, SilverBullet said:

"Should" she be fired? Probably. 

But to think she'd really be let go at this point would just be wishful thinking.

What's an average amount of time that a GM gets to run a team? Or better said how many actually get canned after just two years? If the owner truly believes they made the right hire then the GM is a job that warrants enough time to be allowed to ride out all the twists and turns it can bring. 

Again, don't reset the clock and definitely blame her for every failure since she arrived but firing her now wasn't realistic.

The shock value and the urgency would have been nice sure but y'all know Sherman isn't that impulsive. 

This is about where I'm at with her. I know that there is almost zero chance of her being fired this offseason barring her going and pissing in Bruce's generic brand cornflakes.  Should she be fired though? Yep - just as you, and a lot of us, have said.  It has nothing to do with "failing" to sign a big name player - she just doesn't seem to have a clue on how to run a team on a day-to-day basis.

Honestly, if she had never spoken on air, I'd probably be blaming Bruce almost entirely but man, the stuff she has confidently expressed to all the fans shows she doesn't have the slightest clue about her own players even.  This is why I have no faith in her turning this team around.  It's like the "show-me" Soler signing.  if she was told to go out and spend a certain amount - why not do it on a player that better fits the teams needs??? Nobody is getting hard over a Soler signing.  Then again, she thought Soler was a high obp% guy for some bizarre reason too so literally wtf is she doing or looking at before negotiating with players?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure she won't be fired for at LEAST a couple more seasons - maybe even 3 seasons.  I think she'll be kept around just long enough until they officially declare another rebuild and then bring in a new GM/Mgr yet again to helm that one. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

She can't be serious. 

Game 161 and she's still saying this crap? Stop giving her chances to speak.

She's worked in front offices long enough that it's impossible that she's this clueless over this much time. 

This has to be her God awful way of deflecting the media/the broadcasters/the public/etc.

She can't really be this dumb.

There's no way.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

She can't be serious. 

Game 161 and she's still saying this crap? Stop giving her chances to speak.

She's worked in front offices long enough that it's impossible that she's this clueless over this much time. 

This has to be her God awful way of deflecting the media/the broadcasters/the public/etc.

She can't really be this dumb.

There's no way.

Has she proven otherwise to this point? She's been here for 2+ years and been saying this shit again and again and again. We don't even need to see next season play out to determine her effectiveness in her role. The moves, or lack thereof, during this offseason is all we need to see to know if she's as dumb as she comes across or is actually qualified to be a GM.  I hope she proves me wrong and I mean that with all sincerity.

8 minutes ago, hovertical said:

Has she proven otherwise to this point? She's been here for 2+ years and been saying this shit again and again and again. We don't even need to see next season play out to determine her effectiveness in her role. The moves, or lack thereof, during this offseason is all we need to see to know if she's as dumb as she comes across or is actually qualified to be a GM.  I hope she proves me wrong and I mean that with all sincerity.

No I know exactly what you're saying. I'm just at the point where it's like how is this even possible? She's worked in multiple front offices for years and years, she has to know the words she's saying are just stupid. She's seemed so clueless that I'm like there's no way it can be true. It's comical at this point. 

21 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

We are so gonna run it back with basically the same roster. A few clearance aisle additions perhaps but otherwise mostly the same.

This would literally be the worst possible scenario. 

I'm wondering now... she was with the Yankees and Dodgers, is she so conditioned to being in successful front offices that she is clueless because she doesn't know what to do with a failure of a team? Like they say a successful player doesn't make a good coach because they never dealt with real failure... maybe she has no experience running a bad team and thus the Marlins are a massive hurdle for her?

• Like 1