5/9 Post Game

6 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I'm at the point where I feel like I'm rooting for more losses hoping it leads to changes. 

Agreed.  I’d also almost then rather be lopsided losses to force change instead of the apparent endless “we’re so close, stay the course (that doesn’t work) ” mentality.

2 hours ago, MarlinsLou said:

A dystopian view of the season is interesting, because if they get to the deadline and can trade say.... Pablo, Anderson, Hernandez, Aguilar, Floro, Bass, Bleier, Berti.... certainly they would get a MAJOR piece for Pablo, and pretty good ones for the rest of them. Especially if sent in packages. This could be another 8-10 really good players/prospects, which effectively can be used to go get the fucking CF already. Likewise, it shaves at least $10m on this season's payroll to reinvest (lol).

If they got rid of those guys, and kept all their prospects, 2023 is this for around $68 million.

Stallings, Henry/Fortes
Cooper, Lewin
Jazz
Wendle, Rojas
_______
Sanchez
_______
Garcia, Bleday
Soler (no opt out scenario)

Sandy, Luzardo, Meyer, Rogers, Cabrera
Bender, Sixto, Sulser, Poteet, Head/Holloway/Pop
Scott, Okert, _______

If we assume trading the horde of guys produces a longterm starter at CF for cheap, as well as another lefty reliever (both reasonable), it's effectively a $70 million dollar team and Carlos Correa (opt out), Xander Boegarts (opt out), and Trea Turner are the top 3 free agents. Sign any of them and if the CF is good, the team is great on paper. Ideally, Bleday can play some 1B as they've created a corner OF logjam but it is what it is.

Note - they've saved $10m on 2022 payroll here so this is even cheaper. And they have Eury/Eder likely coming fast, as well as probably a ton of bats.

Basically - they'd be in good shape and we're in exactly the same position as this winter. Are you going to get the star bat?

So back to another fire sale of half the team again

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Honestly Kim and Sherman need to think of it this way too. That this team is basically one or two smart moves away from being good. Make the damn moves already. The lack of urgency that took me out of it last May is showing up again this May. Decent April puts us in the hunt, struggles in May that aren't addressed will put us in a hole that we can't get out of. Why wait until you're at the bottom of the hole before trying to get out?

Agreed.  The team is clearly floundering but they’d rather stand pat and do nothing….again….while the team slides yet again into irrelevancy.

14 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

So back to another fire sale of half the team again

This team has no payroll to fire sale. The only scenario I can think of is trading Sandy, attaching a prospect to Garcia to move him too, and then moving Stallings and one of Rojas/Wendle (as they are cheap and have control). They won't do that.

This is so frustrating because they are close. It's the broken record since November what starting pitcher(s) is/are moved for the CF. It's mind numbing this isn't happening.

If they end of sucking this year and Anderson/1B/relievers are moved for prospects, who cares. Ultimately, they have in house replacements for everyone pretty much, or have FA money to spend (as the team still makes nothing). They are really set up longterm if the get their heads out of their asses.

39 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Agreed.  I’d also almost then rather be lopsided losses to force change instead of the apparent endless “we’re so close, stay the course (that doesn’t work) ” mentality.

I know what you mean but the "so close" thing SHOULD lead to quicker change if you really think about it. Once you're in last place and have no hope then who cares but the Marlins are close enough and potentially good enough that that's why I'm dying for the urgency NOW.

To everyone mentioning “fire sales”, that’s not happening. The only players truly good enough to consider a fire sale are SP’s (Sandy) and that’s not happening. 

They’re not trading Jazz who is still insanely cheap and probably the most profitable player on the team from merch sales. 

The problem isn’t a potential fire sale. It’s the fact that they don’t have enough above average players to even conduct a fire sale. We have plenty of average. We need some firepower 

2 minutes ago, hovertical said:

Would it surprise you though?

That would be one that actually would surprise me, yes. Simply because he’s basically Don. Why would you fire Don Mattingly and replace him with a worse version of him? 

Im not saying they’re not dumb enough to consider it, but someone in that building has to be smart enough to go in a different direction (not even necessarily the right one) 

Every time I dip into negativity, y'all just blow me out of the water...... I can't even agree with half of this when my outlook on everything is negative.

This team is close and there are several above average pieces. They need many of them to get going, and they need one more bat. They also need an elite closer. That's not far off. It's frustrating that we're this close, but we also haven't been this close since 2009 (and you could argue that was pretty lucky; Coghlan was lightning in a bottle)

1 minute ago, Entendu said:

Every time I dip into negativity, y'all just blow me out of the water...... I can't even agree with half of this when my outlook on everything is negative.

This team is close and there are several above average pieces. They need many of them to get going, and they need one more bat. They also need an elite closer. That's not far off. It's frustrating that we're this close, but we also haven't been this close since 2009 (and you could argue that was pretty lucky; Coghlan was lightning in a bottle)

Probably would have made the playoffs if Fredi hadn't kept Bonifacio leading off for so long lol

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Probably would have made the playoffs if Fredi hadn't kept Bonifacio leading off for so long lol

that dude did have the art of the delayed steal mastered though.  for all his other faults...he was probably the best i've ever seen with that one particular skill.

2 hours ago, Michael said:

Y'all need T-Mobile for their free MLB TV every year.

maybe that was a deal you were offered when you went to sign up?  I was looking at switching because I live in a near dead zone for Verizon and T-Mobile is about the same price-wise (a little bit more) but that was NOT listed amongst the perks for signing up.

14 minutes ago, hovertical said:

maybe that was a deal you were offered when you went to sign up?  I was looking at switching because I live in a near dead zone for Verizon and T-Mobile is about the same price-wise (a little bit more) but that was NOT listed amongst the perks for signing up.

When you sign up for T Mobile or Metro PCS, you get to download an app called "T-Mobile Tuesdays". That app gives you free shit every Tuesday. The Tuesday before the season starts, one of the free things is MLB.TV

Just now, Entendu said:

When you sign up for T Mobile or Metro PCS, you get to download an app called "T-Mobile Tuesdays". That app gives you free shit every Tuesday. The Tuesday before the season starts, one of the free things is MLB.TV

I don't see why that wouldn't be advertised though? I like to see things guaranteed in writing beforehand. Not doubting y'all got it but companies like to change things up periodically so I feel better seeing it in the terms beforehand.

5 minutes ago, hovertical said:

I don't see why that wouldn't be advertised though? I like to see things guaranteed in writing beforehand. Not doubting y'all got it but companies like to change things up periodically so I feel better seeing it in the terms beforehand.

It's not really a guarantee. It's a little perk. They advertise it on their sites around the time the season starts.

31 minutes ago, Entendu said:

It's not really a guarantee. It's a little perk. They advertise it on their sites around the time the season starts.

Ehhhh. Yeah can't guarantee it. Appreciate the info but I don't think I'll give them a shot either. From our neighborhood groups it looks like AT&T and Cricket (which uses ATT signal) is about the only steady connection here. Unfortunately ATT is also literally about $50 more a month than what we pay now. Verizon has worked well everywhere else I've gone in the country except where I live. 

7 hours ago, Entendu said:

Trust me, dude... Just stop watching. Check the scores and tune in early or when they're winning. It helps. It's just not healthy to deal with this day in and day out. I used to suffer for this team when I was a teenager and in my early twenties. Screw that.

I watched tons of games when I was in my teens and twenties and it didn't bother me as much. Literally all of my teams across four sports have stunk for years now. Marlins are the only team I follow that  I've ever seen win a title, let alone two. They're the closest to being great so it's really damn hard knowing it's constant shit ownership and the trickle down effect from there that has hamstrung them. I've already stopped watching them for the most part like I've said but damnit I want to watch a decent team that I actually like. Don't care about any of the teams left in the hockey or NBA playoffs so not really anything else to do in the evenings. 

5 minutes ago, hovertical said:

Ehhhh. Yeah can't guarantee it. Appreciate the info but I don't think I'll give them a shot either. From our neighborhood groups it looks like AT&T and Cricket (which uses ATT signal) is about the only steady connection here. Unfortunately ATT is also literally about $50 more a month than what we pay now. Verizon has worked well everywhere else I've gone in the country except where I live. 

I've had free MLB TV since the start of the 2016 season so I'd say it's a pretty solid guarantee.

That said I think their contract runs out soon, so ... TBD.

10 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I know what you mean but the "so close" thing SHOULD lead to quicker change if you really think about it. Once you're in last place and have no hope then who cares but the Marlins are close enough and potentially good enough that that's why I'm dying for the urgency NOW.

I have zero confidence they know what urgency is.  They did absolutely nothing last year when the team floundered until it was too late, and they're going to do the same this year.

9 hours ago, Entendu said:

Except they've yet to show any willingness that they're going to take that next step.  They had SEVERAL options to do so this offseason, even if it meant not getting a CF (i.e. Correa, another BP arm, etc), and they didn't do it.

• Like 1