AFK?

How many of y'all honestly know what it stands for without Googling? I thought it was pretty much universal knowledge but I've asked a ton of people at work today and I want to say the "don't knows" lead by about a 3-1 margin. I used to use it and see it used frequently as far back as mid 90's chat rooms on AOL so it's been around forever. Anyway. Curious.

3 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

I knew what it was right away and was very confused about what this thread was going to be about. But I have also been extremely online for years, which I think makes a difference.

And for me I played an MMORPG religiously during my formative years so stating AFK was CRUCIAL for social survival.

[Apparently formative years are ages 0 to 8 so it was actually JUST AFTER my formative years]

• Like 1

I'm not kidding when I though everyone knew what it meant. I mean I learned it before I learned "lol" in the 90s. It's just been around...forever.  but I guess it's not really all that universal. I always used "brb" if I had to take a piss break but if I had to step away for more than a few minutes I'd drop an AFK.

6 minutes ago, hovertical said:

I'm not kidding when I though everyone knew what it meant. I mean I learned it before I learned "lol" in the 90s. It's just been around...forever.  but I guess it's not really all that universal. I always used "brb" if I had to take a piss break but if I had to step away for more than a few minutes I'd drop an AFK.

I know AFK but I rarely used it. I used BBL, TTYL, and BRB a lot more frequently.

5 hours ago, hovertical said:

i would just fucking leave.

unless i was using icq, they had some fun status messages I think.  

TBF, IMHO, maybe the people you work with don't use the internet that much.  IIRC a lot of these are much older chat abbreviations, and you'd probably just see BRB or BBS today.  TBH, I'm glad not everyone knows abbreviations. I'd be FUBAR for my usage of PEBKAC in my workplace, SMH

25 minutes ago, Undakai said:

TBF, IMHO, maybe the people you work with don't use the internet that much.  IIRC a lot of these are much older chat abbreviations, and you'd probably just see BRB or BBS today.  TBH, I'm glad not everyone knows abbreviations. I'd be FUBAR for my usage of PEBKAC in my workplace, SMH

PEBKAC is the only one I don't recognize here.