Rumored: Lopez for Aaron Hicks Straight Up

Piazza31

The Yankees had a deal in place to ship centerfielder Aaron Hicks to the Marlins for right-hander Pablo Lopez, Carton said. He did not elaborate on the source for his information. But, Carton said, Miami general manager Kim Ng called the deal off at the last second.”

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2022/08/making-sense-of-yankees-marlins-pablo-lopez-trade-rumors.html

This is pathetic. 

12 minutes ago, Michael said:

Hicks could have been part of the trade, not the entire trade. Kim wasn't going to trade Pablo for a 33 year old center fielder who may not be able to play center field anymore.

She did hear that we needed a CF though.

1 hour ago, SongInTheAir said:

There is zero chance this is true, it would have been the worst trade in baseball history.

Aaron Hicks plus Peraza or Volpe? Maybe. Hicks by himself? I promise that's not true. 

It's just some Yankee fan making shit up in some dream trade because, why not, its the Marlins so who cares. Same thing with the Bellinger straight up rumor.

19 hours ago, Piazza31 said:

The Yankees had a deal in place to ship centerfielder Aaron Hicks to the Marlins for right-hander Pablo Lopez, Carton said. He did not elaborate on the source for his information. But, Carton said, Miami general manager Kim Ng called the deal off at the last second.”

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2022/08/making-sense-of-yankees-marlins-pablo-lopez-trade-rumors.html

This is pathetic. 

Did you read the article?  It goes on to say that the rumor was bullshit.  Marlins wanted Gleyber Torres.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

There is zero chance this is true, it would have been the worst trade in baseball history.

Aaron Hicks plus Peraza or Volpe? Maybe. Hicks by himself? I promise that's not true. 

It’s Kim Ng.

She probably thinks Hicks is a 30 HR hitter. 

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2022 at 8:29 PM, SongInTheAir said:

Yes 100%. I mentioned this in another thread. Might be a good idea for the Marlins to eat some bad contracts for prospects. Yankees are a good target for Hicks as sadly he'd be a CF upgrade and DONALDSON would be even better.

If the Marlins were to eat those two and say the Yankees kicking in $6m in 23 and 24, you can do the surplus value calculation very easily that Pablo and Wendle (they could use a SS/3B and understand splits so they wouldn't start him and bat him 2nd against a lefty, etc.) line up very well for Hicks, Donaldson, PERAZA (Volpe probably too much and Peraza a better defender so I'd do that), and then something like Pereira, Sauer, and Lockridge. Taking a huge bet on Peraza, but that's the thing they'll need to do at some point. This radically helps Yankees luxury tax situation/impending Judge deal. And some additional CF hope for the Marlins.

Just food for thought. I think this is a better expenditure of $45m (which is what that would cost) versus signing some 2nd tier FA like Garcia/Soler. Take the swing on a top 30-40 prospect you'd have for 6.5 years if you do the service time right, etc etc.

7 hours ago, MarlinsLou said:

Yes 100%. I mentioned this in another thread. Might be a good idea for the Marlins to eat some bad contracts for prospects. Yankees are a good target for Hicks as sadly he'd be a CF upgrade and DONALDSON would be even better.

If the Marlins were to eat those two and say the Yankees kicking in $6m in 23 and 24, you can do the surplus value calculation very easily that Pablo and Wendle (they could use a SS/3B and understand splits so they wouldn't start him and bat him 2nd against a lefty, etc.) line up very well for Hicks, Donaldson, PERAZA (Volpe probably too much and Peraza a better defender so I'd do that), and then something like Pereira, Sauer, and Lockridge. Taking a huge bet on Peraza, but that's the thing they'll need to do at some point. This radically helps Yankees luxury tax situation/impending Judge deal. And some additional CF hope for the Marlins.

Just food for thought. I think this is a better expenditure of $45m (which is what that would cost) versus signing some 2nd tier FA like Garcia/Soler. Take the swing on a top 30-40 prospect you'd have for 6.5 years if you do the service time right, etc etc.

"if the Marlins were to eat..."

"food for thought..."

GO GET LUNCH MY DUDE!

(I agree with your take though, these are good ideas)