Extend Kim Ng thread

pollythewog

Just now, SilverBullet said:

(Damn now that I type that... imagine the stories if all that happens and then suddenly the team is like exceptionally good next year!) 

well, you'd like to think that Avi won't be THIS bad next year.  even something close to his career norm would be like getting an impact bat in the lineup versus what it would be replacing in terms of production this year.  I didn't like that signing from day one but I don't think a single person on this board thought he'd be THAT awful for the entire season with zero sign of improvement.  I like the odds here that he'll be better next season.

Jazz will be the big wildcard here though. It's not fair to place the season on his shoulders but that lineup performed soooo much better with him in there nearly every day.  I'm doubting they get some truly meaningful impact bats so a huge chunk of next season is squarely on Jazz's shoulders in terms of offense.  His health is questionable at this point.

1 minute ago, hovertical said:

a broken clock is right twice a day....hmmm...Ng has had two trades that we generally view favorably as well....could it be????

Those trades don't count for her though if she wasn't in control yet! Blank slate. She has done nothing wrong or right.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Kim Ng said that there were so many injuries on the Marlins this year because since there was a lockout they couldn't monitor the player's offseason workouts. So I guess she's assuming the lockout meant that these major league players didn't realize or forgot to condition their bodies for the upcoming season? Huh? 

There was only a lockout for the Marlins?

Enough excuses. Just get the job done.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Kim Ng said that there were so many injuries on the Marlins this year because since there was a lockout they couldn't monitor the player's offseason workouts. So I guess she's assuming the lockout meant that these major league players didn't realize or forgot to condition their bodies for the upcoming season? Huh? 

I don't know which posts are sarcasm and what's real with her anymore.

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Get over it Kim.  Sure, there were injuries, and it's valid to acknowledge that....but injuries alone didn't sink the season, and if that's all we're counting on for a rebound next year, then I'll continue to tune in to an inning or two every month at best, and not attend any games.  I don't feel like wasting my time or money on an obviously inferior/lackluster product - one that everyone but the people in charge can see the holes in/issues with.

28 minutes ago, hovertical said:

The writing has been on the wall all season (too cheap to hire cleaners to take it off) that she firmly believes this is a great team and it's all bad luck and injury related. 

With all the injuries youd think she'd be more on the ball in terms of managing the roster though. Hmmmm

I don't know if it's exactly that, but I do think the FO is going to be looking at the Phillies (43 WAR this season / 87 wins) and believe that's the blue print with what their personnel is going to be. Frankly, asking for more enters signing Correa/Turner territory and let's not be crazy. Get to the wild card and catch fire with the arms. I'm not saying that's going to be the best idea, but I think the Phillies success is going to dictate their offseason. Just a hunch. 

The Phillies got to their regular season production roughly as follows:

Super elite up the middle player (Realmuto, 6+ WAR)
Super elite top of the rotation arm (Nola, 6+ WAR)
Their # 2-6 SP are very good (Wheeler, Gibson, Suarez, Efflin, Falter, 10+ WAR)
Three above average regulars (Schwarber, Harper, Hoskins, 7.5+ WAR)
Multiple decent supporting players (Segura, Bohm, Stott, Sosa, Maton, Marsh, 7+ WAR)
Replacement bats not -0s- (Stubbs, Herrera, Hall, Carmargo, Zimmer, Guthrie, 2.5+ WAR)
Primary Bullpen (Alvardo, Hand, Dominguez, Bellatti, Nelson, Brogdon, 5+ WAR)
Assholes (Didi, Castellanos, some limited relievers -1.5 WAR)

So if you're Kim, aren't you thinking this:

Super elite up the middle player - Jazz
Super elite top of the rotation arm - Sandy
Their # 2-6 SP - Pablo, Luzardo, Garret, Cabrera, Rogers
Three above average regulars - Garcia, ______,  _______ < - Leap of faith 1 with Garcia
Decent supporting players - Cooper, Berti, Fortes, Wendle/Rojas, Soler
Replacement bats not -0s- - Groshans, Stallings, DLC, Bleday, Burdick, LeBlanc, Williams < - They must not be zeros. Leap of faith 2 here with Stallings/LFers mainly
Primary Bullpen - _____, _____, Floro, Scott, Okert, Bleier
Assholes - Aguilar already gone, impending Lewin OOO, Elisier and Sulser DFA, Astudillo and others released with more depth. < - "Less injuries"

Two leaps off faith and health. What else is she going to do TBH with what they currently have? The quib is - Harper missed a lot of games so game per game production, they have a real 2nd elite offensive player with him and he could be a category of his own for sure. 

So maybe there is no hope absent Correa level signing to match what Harper brings and how that team plays when they are healthy, but if those blank lines are pretty good players (McCarthy, Rosario, E. Diaz, Clevinger reclamation project?) they should have a real chance even if Pablo is moved in a deal. Of course insert here, that team would still be $100m tops so why isn't Correa being dropped on top of this?

18 minutes ago, MarlinsLou said:

I don't know if it's exactly that, but I do think the FO is going to be looking at the Phillies (43 WAR this season / 87 wins) and believe that's the blue print with what their personnel is going to be. Frankly, asking for more enters signing Correa/Turner territory and let's not be crazy. Get to the wild card and catch fire with the arms. I'm not saying that's going to be the best idea, but I think the Phillies success is going to dictate their offseason. Just a hunch. 

The Phillies got to their regular season production roughly as follows:

Super elite up the middle player (Realmuto, 6+ WAR)
Super elite top of the rotation arm (Nola, 6+ WAR)
Their # 2-6 SP are very good (Wheeler, Gibson, Suarez, Efflin, Falter, 10+ WAR)
Three above average regulars (Schwarber, Harper, Hoskins, 7.5+ WAR)
Multiple decent supporting players (Segura, Bohm, Stott, Sosa, Maton, Marsh, 7+ WAR)
Replacement bats not -0s- (Stubbs, Herrera, Hall, Carmargo, Zimmer, Guthrie, 2.5+ WAR)
Primary Bullpen (Alvardo, Hand, Dominguez, Bellatti, Nelson, Brogdon, 5+ WAR)
Assholes (Didi, Castellanos, some limited relievers -1.5 WAR)

So if you're Kim, aren't you thinking this:

Super elite up the middle player - Jazz
Super elite top of the rotation arm - Sandy
Their # 2-6 SP - Pablo, Luzardo, Garret, Cabrera, Rogers
Three above average regulars - Garcia, ______,  _______ < - Leap of faith 1 with Garcia
Decent supporting players - Cooper, Berti, Fortes, Wendle/Rojas, Soler
Replacement bats not -0s- - Groshans, Stallings, DLC, Bleday, Burdick, LeBlanc, Williams < - They must not be zeros. Leap of faith 2 here with Stallings/LFers mainly
Primary Bullpen - _____, _____, Floro, Scott, Okert, Bleier
Assholes - Aguilar already gone, impending Lewin OOO, Elisier and Sulser DFA, Astudillo and others released with more depth. < - "Less injuries"

Two leaps off faith and health. What else is she going to do TBH with what they currently have? The quib is - Harper missed a lot of games so game per game production, they have a real 2nd elite offensive player with him and he could be a category of his own for sure. 

So maybe there is no hope absent Correa level signing to match what Harper brings and how that team plays when they are healthy, but if those blank lines are pretty good players (McCarthy, Rosario, E. Diaz, Clevinger reclamation project?) they should have a real chance even if Pablo is moved in a deal. Of course insert here, that team would still be $100m tops so why isn't Correa being dropped on top of this?

I have a feeling what we'll get is the definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over and hoping for a different result.