Tua.. (and general Dolphins updates now)

pollythewog

Just now, SongInTheAir said:

no, stop! you'll get Dolphins fans so mad!

an independent doctor said he could play!

there was no concussion!

image.png.06389c0aa04089a60beda991c7994937.png

Yeah i've been on a few Dolphins boards and they're all the same - a bunch of ignorant morons who typically say things like "Tua's just a whiny bitch.  it's a freaking headache...get over it"  (real example)

I follow the Dolphins very closely but don't watch NFL games any longer because they bore me to tears. Their message boards are truly awful though - the biggest blowhard keyboard warriors ever.

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

In hindsight, he shouldn't have played.

I knew the game was over when that happened.  But his health is more important at this point.  Hopefully he is truly ok.

concussions are obviously a very weird thing in terms of recovering from - sometimes guys will take literal years to recover and other times you can really get over it in a week or so. The human brain is bizarre in so many ways.  I'm betting he's going to try and come back for the Vikings game but if he's not feeling better then I don't want him anywhere near the field.  Brain injuries are no laughing matter or to be taken lightly. I took take umbrage with McDaniel saying 'it's only a concussion'.  I will give him the benefit of the doubt at this point and think he was saying it was only a concussion because people were worried he was paralyzed possibly so in that context, yes, it was 'only' a concussion and nothing was broken, etc.

4 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

it blows my mind how the Dolphins keyboard warriors on Twitter are such "free thinkers" that they believe every word the Dolphins say.

Coach says "Tua wasn't concussed" so then obviously Tua wasn't concussed. That's it, end of story. Disregard EVERY other sign that implied that he very clearly was. Coach said!!

4 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

the Dolphins coach said, "Tua doesn't have anything more serious than a concussion" and if that cavalier take on a traumatic brain injury doesn't tell you everything you need to know about this whole situation...

I'll address both here.

Independent neurologist cleared him to play. League and NFLPA are investigating, and thoroughly. I imagine both sides are going to ramp that up further now given this latest situation. We'll see what happens here but I can't imagine they hoodwinked the independent neurologist to say "yeah sure fine."

As for McDaniel's comment, I think it was meant to be along the lines of, "he has the concussion and (thankfully) no further major injuries." I doubt he's downplaying the severe nature of concussions. That said, I can't speak for him or to his thoughts, just my own opinion. If it turns out he doesn't think much of concussions, I'd be quite upset.

50 minutes ago, Michael said:

I'll address both here.

Independent neurologist cleared him to play. League and NFLPA are investigating, and thoroughly. I imagine both sides are going to ramp that up further now given this latest situation. We'll see what happens here but I can't imagine they hoodwinked the independent neurologist to say "yeah sure fine."

As for McDaniel's comment, I think it was meant to be along the lines of, "he has the concussion and (thankfully) no further major injuries." I doubt he's downplaying the severe nature of concussions. That said, I can't speak for him or to his thoughts, just my own opinion. If it turns out he doesn't think much of concussions, I'd be quite upset.

honestly, yeah this is maybe an issue that boils down to incompetence on the part of the "independent" neurologist. If he said Tua was clear, then McDaniel had no reason to believe otherwise. 

And yeah, I get that the comment was meant to be like, "he got a concussion but he isn't paralyzed or dead" but like...choose your words better, young sir. 

I put no blame on McDaniel here. He said something well today, what's he supposed to do, go against medical? When does he decide to let him play in that case?

Someone messed up letting him play, but it wasn't the coach. He does need to choose his words better though in regards to the quote earlier in the thread for sure. Very easy to misinterpret what he could have meant.

1 minute ago, SonOfJack said:

I put no blame on McDaniel here. He said it well today, what's he supposed to do, go against medical? When does he decide to let him play in that case?

Someone messed up letting him play, but it wasn't the coach. He does need to choose his words better though for sure. Very easy to misinterpret what he could have meant.

the thing is here that if he had felt wary of letting him play on a short week of all things after Sunday and they (likely) still lost to the Bengals then he would have been eaten alive for not playing his best players when he had the all clear to do so. 

Personally? I think Tua should have sat after Sunday, especially with the short week - which also means that he could have missed just the one game but had two full weeks to recuperate since they don't play again for another 2 Sundays.  Even then, they SHOULD be able to beat the Jets even with Teddy as QB so you could have extended that out until the Vikings if need be. 

But in the end, a coach is going to defer to the medical staff and player.  I'm assuming the player will usually say "YEAH I'M OK!" as these dudes are super competitive but if the player says he can do it and the medical staff says all clear....what else are you going to do?