2022-2023 Offseason Thread

rmc523

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

We're still missing that big bat, though.

Another rambling long winded post ahead, read or skip it if you want. 😂

Yeah, I know this has been discussed before, but I wonder how much that has to do with the Marlins GM not trying to get a big bat as opposed to the big bats not wanting to sign here just because it’s the Marlins?

Who knows exactly what offers are being made, but I kind of get the feeling that even if the Marlins offered someone like Ohani the same amount of money as the Mets or Yankees for example, most likely Ohani would pick the Mets or Yankees over the Marlins just because it’s the Marlins.

That’s why previously I made the point that in my opinion, the best thing the Marlins can do to ensure successful future seasons is to start winning games this season. Because as I previously said it probably would create a positive snowball effect, like slowly at first, with the Marlins starting to win more games and start generating more excitement, then fans slowly start showing up to see what’s buzzing as Miami people are so good at doing. 😂

Then as attendance rises because the Marlins are winning, and the Marlins finish like 6 games above .500, then maybe next offseason, 1 or 2 slightly higher tier free agent sees some excitement and a positive outlook for the 2024 Marlins and decides to  consider giving the Marlins a chance, and so on and so forth.

Of course just winning more games won’t solve all the Marlins problems or mean that someone like Trout or Ohani or Correa would want to sign here. But as I previously mentioned, just have the Marlins start winning more games, and a lot of the issues will slowly start taking care of themselves. 

This offseason has given me some hope with the signing of Segura and trade for Arraez and serious pursuit of Gurriel has shown that the Marlins are starting to get serious about improving the team and I feel like if they start winning more and creating a bigger buzz than that will be what will start attracting the bigger names.

There’s this idea that “you don’t attract what you want, you attract who/what you are.”

Not trying to sound too new agey or woowoo with that, but it makes a lot of sense I think. The Marlins team can want to sign big name players all day long, but unless they make themselves an attractive destination for big name top tier players, they will have a tough time doing it as we have seen most of the Marlins history. So start winning games and slowly start making the Marlins an attractive destination for top level players to come to. I’m talking the likes of a Ohani or Trout or Correa. It won’t be easy, and could take some time, but I think it’s possible. 

The key is build a lot of buzz and excitement around the Marlins organization, and I think that will only happen if the Marlins start making the playoffs for at least two seasons in a row, that’s probably what it will take to start changing the perception around the team and get more fans to show up and get some top level players to start paying attention.

Of course all this is so much easier said than done, so to wrap it all up, hopefully the Marlins can finish this season a few games above .500 and start the snowball rolling from the top of the hill. 😂

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

That seems low considering all the things Kim did eventually do and did address. She's one more good move away from a home run offseason but I'd say she's had a really good offseason overall. C seems to be just an average offseason, that was last year.

Woah just looked at the other teams, how can so many be higher than us? Kim has addressed every need on her offseason checklist. Some of those teams haven't done anything.

Yeah, Eno Sarris wrote our bit. I usually like his stuff but he mentioned pretty much the same thing he wrote there in the Rates & Barrels podcast.

Which, eh. Is what it is.

56 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

Another rambling long winded post ahead, read or skip it if you want. 😂

Yeah, I know this has been discussed before, but I wonder how much that has to do with the Marlins GM not trying to get a big bat as opposed to the big bats not wanting to sign here just because it’s the Marlins?

Who knows exactly what offers are being made, but I kind of get the feeling that even if the Marlins offered someone like Ohani the same amount of money as the Mets or Yankees for example, most likely Ohani would pick the Mets or Yankees over the Marlins just because it’s the Marlins.

That’s why previously I made the point that in my opinion, the best thing the Marlins can do to ensure successful future seasons is to start winning games this season. Because as I previously said it probably would create a positive snowball effect, like slowly at first, with the Marlins starting to win more games and start generating more excitement, then fans slowly start showing up to see what’s buzzing as Miami people are so good at doing. 😂

Then as attendance rises because the Marlins are winning, and the Marlins finish like 6 games above .500, then maybe next offseason, 1 or 2 slightly higher tier free agent sees some excitement and a positive outlook for the 2024 Marlins and decides to  consider giving the Marlins a chance, and so on and so forth.

Of course just winning more games won’t solve all the Marlins problems or mean that someone like Trout or Ohani or Correa would want to sign here. But as I previously mentioned, just have the Marlins start winning more games, and a lot of the issues will slowly start taking care of themselves. 

This offseason has given me some hope with the signing of Segura and trade for Arraez and serious pursuit of Gurriel has shown that the Marlins are starting to get serious about improving the team and I feel like if they start winning more and creating a bigger buzz than that will be what will start attracting the bigger names.

There’s this idea that “you don’t attract what you want, you attract who/what you are.”

Not trying to sound too new agey or woowoo with that, but it makes a lot of sense I think. The Marlins team can want to sign big name players all day long, but unless they make themselves an attractive destination for big name top tier players, they will have a tough time doing it as we have seen most of the Marlins history. So start winning games and slowly start making the Marlins an attractive destination for top level players to come to. I’m talking the likes of a Ohani or Trout or Correa. It won’t be easy, and could take some time, but I think it’s possible. 

The key is build a lot of buzz and excitement around the Marlins organization, and I think that will only happen if the Marlins start making the playoffs for at least two seasons in a row, that’s probably what it will take to start changing the perception around the team and get more fans to show up and get some top level players to start paying attention.

Of course all this is so much easier said than done, so to wrap it all up, hopefully the Marlins can finish this season a few games above .500 and start the snowball rolling from the top of the hill. 😂

I agree in general that you're right, winning will lift all boats - more fans, more revenue, better feeling about the team/organization, and higher chance bigger FA's want to sign here.

But money talks, and if we had competitive and/or higher offers than the others, that would entice some guys to come here.

Players aren't stupid, and can see the potential the Marlins have - especially in the rotation - vs. say, the A's that don't seem to have much hope right now, even if results haven't lined up yet.  If we offered Correa something similar or higher than what he took to go back to the Twins, I would have to think he'd at the very least consider coming here.  But if we offer 1/3 of other teams or don't even try, then obviously they're not coming here.  That part is on Bruce, though, to approve a huge contract, which he's not indicated he's willing/able to do.

1 hour ago, SirFishFan said:

Who??

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

That part is on Bruce, though, to approve a huge contract, which he's not indicated he's willing/able to do.

So I guess the real question is what would inspire/entice Marlins ownership to be willing to spend more money?

They haven’t shown yet that they seem to be willing to spend money on big contracts to try to win more games and attract more fans.

Perhaps if the Marlins win more games, get bigger attendance and get more revenue they might be willing to spend more money. But also there is always that chance that if they win more games this year get more attendance and finish above .500 that the Marlins FO will say like “see we were able to do it with our smaller payroll so no need to go out and spend on free agents!” Thus continuing the never ending cycle of frustration as a Marlins fan. 😂

9 minutes ago, Rydawg said:

My cholesterol levels are fine.  Triglycerides are a little high though.  Thanks for asking.  LOL

Triglyceride sounds like the name of some kind of prehistoric animal to me.

I can just hear Sir David Attenborough narrating it.

"Here we have a young Triglyceride at a watering hole keeping a close watch for predators. Their main threat, the Hematocrit is never far behind."