2022-2023 Offseason Thread

rmc523

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article271608512.html

“As Herald senior baseball correspondent Craig Mish was told, the Marlins pulled their offer to Astros free agent Yuli Gurriel after he sat on it for a week without responding. Miami offered him more than $2 million for one season.

The Marlins could still add a veteran first baseman as a non-roster invitee. Otherwise, Arraez could back up Cooper at first base.”

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

Sounds like Yuli wanted to be somewhere else and was keeping the Marlins offer as a last resort to settle on. Don't blame them for moving on.

Considering he didn't seem to have a lot of interest elsewhere this is surprising from him. The Marlins seemed to make a ton of sense for him realistically, he should have taken it. He might have screwed this one up, gotta keep an eye and see where he ends up and for how much.

And Kim getting ballsy I love it, #bliNgbliNg

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Considering he didn't seem to have a lot of interest elsewhere this is surprising from him. The Marlins seemed to make a ton of sense for him realistically, he should have taken it. He might have screwed this one up, gotta keep an eye and see where he ends up and for how much.

Then he ends up signing here for the minimum.

#BliNgBliNg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Sounds like Yuli wanted to be somewhere else and was keeping the Marlins offer as a last resort to settle on. Don't blame them for moving on.

I think it was just over money.  I recall reading that we offered 2 million and he was asking for 3 million.  

5 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Offer him $1M now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Then I guess he won't be playing this season cuz he hasn't gotten any $3 million offers. He can ask for whatever he wants but teams don't have to match that.

Oh, I realize that.  I was just disagreeing that he was leveraging the Marlins to get an offer elsewhere.   It just came down to what he thinks he's worth vs what the Marlins are offering.  He still might get what he's looking for.  3 million isn't alot of money for most MLB teams.  

1 hour ago, Rydawg said:

Oh, I realize that.  I was just disagreeing that he was leveraging the Marlins to get an offer elsewhere.   It just came down to what he thinks he's worth vs what the Marlins are offering.  He still might get what he's looking for.  3 million isn't alot of money for most MLB teams.  

Yes but the part about getting the Marlins offer and not responding for over a week sounds like leveraging to me. He could have just said no thanks but instead he ghosted them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Jazz mentioned on Miami Mic'd Up that for the games he was able to play last year, he was really only at about 60%.

Scary!

I'd take that with a grain of salt lol. Someone operating literally at 60% capacity would not actually be able to play baseball lol. Dudes say stuff like that all the time. It's fun to dream though.