2022-2023 Offseason Thread

rmc523

2 hours ago, hovertical said:

Anyone willing to legitimately defend her latest commentary without the use of sarcasm?

I don't think there really is a way to defend it......I can't figure out if shes' trying to downplay expectations because 1) they don't plan on doing much, or 2) unless she's really just trying to fool everyone.

3 hours ago, hovertical said:

Anyone willing to legitimately defend her latest commentary without the use of sarcasm?

Can't defend her latest words. Just hope she's thinking differently behind the scenes. I did see one tweet that said that she admitted that they can't sit on their hands this offseason. That's the closest we've gotten to her saying they're gonna be more active. More of that mindset is the hope. 

Mish isn’t perfect or even close to it, but one thing he was right about is Sixto Sanchez. 

He predicted we’d never see him in a Marlins uniform again. I’m not sure what the problem is, but it seems like Sixto doesn’t have the best work ethic. 

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Mish says 2023 is the last year of Kim's contract, if so then this is it, improve significantly or she's gone. Simple as that and she'd get the full length of her contract and a more than fair amount of time to prove she is capable of this position. 

3 years seems pretty standard as far as FO contracts go, so this isn't surprising to me.

Put up or shut up time (though that should've been last year too lol).

1 hour ago, Erick said:

Mish isn’t perfect or even close to it, but one thing he was right about is Sixto Sanchez. 

He predicted we’d never see him in a Marlins uniform again. I’m not sure what the problem is, but it seems like Sixto doesn’t have the best work ethic. 

I've been saying not to expect much from him since the first delay.

He had the same issues in Philly before we acquired him - conditioning issues, injuries, etc.  It's not overly surprising that it's continued.

I keep seeing the Correa rumors on twitter.  Sherman probably knows the team could offer him a massive contract (for the Marlins) knowing Correa would never take it and then play the "We tried" card and sign some bargain basement free agents.

5 hours ago, r5812 said:

I keep seeing the Correa rumors on twitter.  Sherman probably knows the team could offer him a massive contract (for the Marlins) knowing Correa would never take it and then play the "We tried" card and sign some bargain basement free agents.

Would much rather have Turner especially with rule changes coming. But Correa would be an acceptable consolation prize I guess.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, r5812 said:

I mean, honestly, I'd rather have a tease of "we tried" with them offering a big contract.....at least it'd mean they're willing to offer a big deal when needed, as opposed to the nothing, and overpriced deals they give low-end middle guys like Soler and Garcia.

2 hours ago, Michael said:

Get both.

I agree. They do need two premium bats. With Eury being the only high end prospect now (thanks Kim for not trading the others when they were ranked much higher prior to this season) Id prefer to be greedy and just sign FA so we can avoid trading Eury. 

I know you out were (kinda) being sarcastic in the sense we all know they won't get either, let alone both, but that's what they need. Nothing has changed in terms of needs in both seasons of Kim's control - she just seems to be the only one who can't figure out what they need.

21 minutes ago, hovertical said:

I agree. They do need two premium bats. With Eury being the only high end prospect now (thanks Kim for not trading the others when they were ranked much higher prior to this season) Id prefer to be greedy and just sign FA so we can avoid trading Eury. 

I know you out were (kinda) being sarcastic in the sense we all know they won't get either, let alone both, but that's what they need. Nothing has changed in terms of needs in both seasons of Kim's control - she just seems to be the only one who can't figure out what they need.

Both make so much sense, though. Correa being from Puerto Rico and Turner being from Boynton Beach, both would initially draw people for that reason on top of being superstars. Then if we start winning with / because of them, attendance starts to grow. Then we have fun!

12 hours ago, Erick said:

And you can actually make a legitimate argument that he has the best pure stuff of anyone on this pitching staff. If he can just get himself into shape, I think he could be electric. But doesn't seem like he's entirely interested in making that happen.

To be fair, though, I'm not sure if it's laziness or he's just injury prone. I guess it could be both.

Groshans unless he is a disaster in spring training should be the starting 3b next year. (well or SS)

Garcia and Soler will be starting either at DH or somewhere in the corner outfield.

Wendle should be somewhere in the lineup, though if you acquire a SS in free agency (should be top priority), could be an interesting trade chip to help at other areas.

Jazz should be at 2b.  

Fortes has done enough to be your starting catcher.

You dont have a 1b on your roster.

You still dont have a CF on your roster.

Trade Cooper.

You really dont have any outfielders on your roster but you have the Soler and Garcia albatross contracts on your roster so, yup. 

It really would be a coup to find a sucker I mean a trade partner that is interested in Garcia or Soler.  But I cant imagine any front office being dumb enough to take on those players.  Well maybe if the Marlins eat most if not all the contracts (they should).  

2 minutes ago, Valid said:

And you can actually make a legitimate argument that he has the best pure stuff of anyone on this pitching staff. If he can just get himself into shape, I think he could be electric. But doesn't seem like he's entirely interested in making that happen.

To be fair, though, I'm not sure if it's laziness or he's just injury prone. I guess it could be both.

No its definitely part/most bad work ethic.   There is a reason why the Phillies didnt really think twice about including Sanchez in the Realmuto deal.

Its why by some reports Marlins would have gladly moved Watson this year (well until he fucked his own trade value by being an immature kid),  but you know Marlins did a bad job on the trade market in terms of acquiring talent last winter and utilizing what was regarded at the time as a top farm system. 

46 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

It really would be a coup to find a sucker I mean a trade partner that is interested in Garcia or Soler.  But I cant imagine any front office being dumb enough to take on those players.  Well maybe if the Marlins eat most if not all the contracts (they should).  

This is something a winning club that's not penny pinching would do - and by that I mean paying a portion of the contract.  Offhand, I would think Soler would be the easier of the two to move as he wasn't AS BAD and since his additional years are player options theres the potential (albeit a small one)of him somehow getting hot and deciding to opt out instead of being saddled with that contract for another 2 seasons after the upcoming one. Even getting just one of those guys off the roster would help in a variety of ways including outfield flexibility, lineup composition, and even potential trade targets. 

But Brucey ain't gonna eat those costs - and don't forget, there was that one season where Soler hit 48 home runs. 

58 minutes ago, Michael said:

Both make so much sense, though. Correa being from Puerto Rico and Turner being from Boynton Beach, both would initially draw people for that reason on top of being superstars. Then if we start winning with / because of them, attendance starts to grow. Then we have fun!

Unfortunately, our skinflint owner seems to think that fans need to come out to see a shit product before he'll invest any money in making it better - and i still have significant doubts that he would raise payroll even if they did pack the house almost every night because I've convinced myself he's just using the team as a personal ATM machine.

2 hours ago, Valid said:

I don’t think he has the best stuff in the organization, but I do agree that it would be nice to have him. 

3 hours ago, Michael said:

I'll take the defense he provides over Cooper/Aguilar's "offense."

Aguilar is no longer a Marlin.

I listed Cooper as someone they should move on from and get something for him.

Let me restate now for the third time.

The Marlins do not have a 1b on the roster.