Betting Favorites To Be The Next Marlins Manager

7 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Maddon had said he would only be interested in managing again if he could actually manage and not be basically a yes man for the front office.

This is a progressive and trendy front office. Sure they will tell him this, but like most of these phonies, they'll renege as soon as its beneficial for them.

57 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

I like it!

Should get the Marlins to at least 75 wins and being that he used to manage in Tampa, that should help with the attendance numbers with some remaining Maddon fans from Tampa area might drive down to see him manage.

I've never known anyone drive six hours each way to see a person manage a MLB game. I'm hoping you were being sarcastic lol.

From what he's saying it sounds like the Angels didn't let him manage the way he likes to. Not sure if the Cubs did the same thing or not. He'd still be an upgrade over Don either way.

He was a pretty cool dude in Tampa though. He'd roam the concourse and talk to people before games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

I've never known anyone drive six hours each way to see a person manage a MLB game. I'm hoping you were being sarcastic lol.

Yeah, I was definitely being facetious there. Although I really wouldn’t mind if Maddon was the new Manager, I mean the Marlins could definitely do a lot worse than him.

The comment about people coming from Tampa area to watch him manage was just a play on the comments I see sometimes when some people may think that if the Marlins sign a player that is from Miami originally or from *insert random Latin American country* that it will bring out more fans to the ballpark solely as a result of that player being born there and Miami having a high population from said country or something like that.

Which I have always contended that at least speaking for casual Miami Marlins sports fans, doesn’t really work that way in my years of observation.

But that’s a fruitless argument for me because it always ends up back to the point of have the Marlins win and in a playoff chase and people will show up every game regardless of if they sign a superstar player who was born in the DR or they sign a superstar player who was born in Texas, or even if they don’t even sign any superstar players.

😂

Edited by SirFishFan

14 hours ago, SirFishFan said:

Yeah, I was definitely being facetious there. Although I really wouldn’t mind if Maddon was the new Manager, I mean the Marlins could definitely do a lot worse than him.

The comment about people coming from Tampa area to watch him manage was just a play on the comments I see sometimes when some people may think that if the Marlins sign a player that is from Miami originally or from *insert random Latin American country* that it will bring out more fans to the ballpark solely as a result of that player being born there and Miami having a high population from said country or something like that.

Which I have always contended that at least speaking for casual Miami Marlins sports fans, doesn’t really work that way in my years of observation.

But that’s a fruitless argument for me because it always ends up back to the point of have the Marlins win and in a playoff chase and people will show up every game regardless of if they sign a superstar player who was born in the DR or they sign a superstar player who was born in Texas, or even if they don’t even sign any superstar players.

😂

Yeah, I've never understood that argument either.

Like sure, it makes for a great story, but it's only an added "oh by the way, he's from here" if anything.  I don't think it means much to the casual fan.

Please, God, no Joe Maddon. Too much "look at me and all of my outside the box management decisions" and not enough letting the players play. He intentionally walked in a run this season. I'll say it again. He intentionally walked in a run this season. He gave the other team a run for free. The Angels were down 3-2 at the time, and Jenius Joe thought his team's best chance at winning that game, was to walk in a run and put them in a 4-2 hole. What a boob! Also see his handling of Jo Adell at the start of this season. He was platooning Jo Adell on the weak side of his splits. Maddon is just a guy who's managerial successes have come as a result of him latching onto two teams ripe with young talent, and entering their competitive windows. Skip the circus. Baseball is no longer an old man's game. Bring in Espada.

15 hours ago, sgleason02 said:

Please, God, no Joe Maddon. Too much "look at me and all of my outside the box management decisions" and not enough letting the players play. He intentionally walked in a run this season. I'll say it again. He intentionally walked in a run this season. He gave the other team a run for free. The Angels were down 3-2 at the time, and Jenius Joe thought his team's best chance at winning that game, was to walk in a run and put them in a 4-2 hole. What a boob! Also see his handling of Jo Adell at the start of this season. He was platooning Jo Adell on the weak side of his splits. Maddon is just a guy who's managerial successes have come as a result of him latching onto two teams ripe with young talent, and entering their competitive windows. Skip the circus. Baseball is no longer an old man's game. Bring in Espada.

reasonable points.