Marlins Hire Brant Brown As Hitting Coach

Michael

• Michael changed the title to Marlins Hire Brant Brown As Hitting Coach
8 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

A hitting coach is only as good as the quality of the hitters they have to coach. So I won't expect that much of a improvement from last season. If they somehow happen to have a drastic improvement in hitting it will be a pleasant surprise. If not, wouldn't be too surprised.

Yes but also an improved philosophy and approach will help even with lesser hitters.

Just hope it starts attracting more hitters!

1 hour ago, SirFishFan said:

A hitting coach is only as good as the quality of the hitters they have to coach

I disagree with this.

A good teacher (as in teaching school children) can make a bad or struggling student better.

And that doesn't necessarily mean the student's other or previous teachers were bad teachers but there are different methods, strategies, and approaches to teaching and different teachers can have different effects on their students. 

Same concept with coaching. 

A good hitting coach can very much make a difference, and with the Marlins, in the simplest of scenarios, it might just be that a different voice at hitting coach could be significant. 

4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I disagree with this.

A good teacher (as in teaching school children) can make a bad or struggling student better.

And that doesn't necessarily mean the student's other or previous teachers were bad teachers but there are different methods, strategies, and approaches to teaching and different teachers can have different effects on their students. 

A good hitting coach can very much make a difference, and with the Marlins, in the simplest of scenarios, it might just be that a different voice at hitting coach could be significant. 

I get what you’re saying. And I certainly agree that it could make a significant difference with some players especially younger guys who are in their first or second years at the MLB level.

Sorry for being so pessimistic, it’s just that for certain players, for example Stallings and Rojas etc. That have been in MLB for years and have have many different hitting coaches throughout all levels of MiLB and MLB on different organizations. I think by now they are kind of set at a certain average way of hitting. Not sure hitting coaching is the problem.

I guess the point that I’m trying to make is that a year round healthy Giancarlo Stanton has an almost certain chance of hitting 40+ HRs regardless of who his hitting coach is. That’s just the type of player he is. In the same regard, put Robert Dugger with the best pitching coaches in MLB and have them work with him for 3 months, and I’m guessing he’s still giving up 3 runs in an inning. Because that’s just the type of pitcher he is

But if I’m wrong and the Marlins team BA is top 5 in MLB as a direct result of hiring Brown as a hitting coach. I will personally hire @SonOfJack to cook you a 5 course meal of your choosing. I don’t know if he knows how to cook that well or not, but you will eat it and be thankful for it. 😂

Edited by SirFishFan

3 hours ago, SirFishFan said:

I get what you’re saying. And I certainly agree that it could make a significant difference with some players especially younger guys who are in their first or second years at the MLB level.

Sorry for being so pessimistic, it’s just that for certain players, for example Stallings and Rojas etc. That have been in MLB for years and have have many different hitting coaches throughout all levels of MiLB and MLB on different organizations. I think by now they are kind of set at a certain average way of hitting. Not sure hitting coaching is the problem.

I guess the point that I’m trying to make is that a year round healthy Giancarlo Stanton has an almost certain chance of hitting 40+ HRs regardless of who his hitting coach is. That’s just the type of player he is. In the same regard, put Robert Dugger with the best pitching coaches in MLB and have them work with him for 3 months, and I’m guessing he’s still giving up 3 runs in an inning. Because that’s just the type of pitcher he is

But if I’m wrong and the Marlins team BA is top 5 in MLB as a direct result of hiring Brown as a hitting coach. I will personally hire @SonOfJack to cook you a 5 course meal of your choosing. I don’t know if he knows how to cook that well or not, but you will eat it and be thankful for it. 😂

Oh I get what you mean, you might have worded it weird though. I don't think the hitting coach is irrelevant but to say many of the Marlins hitters just aren't very good is fair. Can't teach a fish to climb a tree regardless of how good the teacher is.

As for a meal for @SonOfJackSonOfJackmay I suggest taking him to Chili's?

13 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I disagree with this.

Yes. Just look at Jose Bautista 2004-2009 (.4 WAR over 2,000 PA) and then at 29 years old(!), he has a 6 year tear as one of the best players in baseball (34+ WAR). It was a swing change/launch angle success story. He got set up with the right hitting coach to untap his other worldly potential. Look internally at DLC, he was downright awful, and then I am guessing Phil Plantier in AAA introduced the new swing when he was sent down and look at his September. He still over achieved, but even adjusting to normal BABIPs he would have been really solid and hit the shit out of the ball. He's a potential breakout candidate with FG/Savant singing his praises and the organization already has suggested they expect 500+ PA. I am assuming here it is solely Plantier deserving the recognition for identifying a swing issue, but that is his coaching domain. So yea, whatever coach figured that out, these guys do make real differences. 

Hopefully this new staff is an improvement. It's all we can hope for. Now Bruce just needs to spend money.