Rodon - Yankees - 6 yr for 162 mil

Das Texan

7 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Yeah I’ll pass on almost $30M per year on Rodon….wtf is going in with these contracts….

That's how it was trending pre-covid then contracts took a huge dip for a couple seasons (not that we took advantage of it... God forbid) and are now going cray again. 

Almost all FA contracts are overpays and if Sherman wants to win he's gonna have to take some of these on.

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

That's how it was trending pre-covid then contracts took a huge dip for a couple seasons (not that we took advantage of it... God forbid) and are now going cray again. 

Almost all FA contracts are overpays and if Sherman wants to win he's gonna have to take some of these on.

It was blatantly obvious that that lull of contracts after 2020 needed to be taken advantage of before contracts skyrocketed again.  It was incredibly shortsighted to ignore it.

I think just about everyone has gone to 5-7 teams, it's ridiculous.

12 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Its called the revenues in baseball continue to go up up up 

Oh for sure and I’m all for it, it’s a business at the end of the day. But this current setup doesn’t work the way it’s setup. Considering MLB is the only major sport where the contracts are guaranteed, there has to be some protection against a dude completely going to shit in year 4 of a 13 year deal and never putting it back together. While I don’t agree with a salary cap, I think they should cap the max years you can get on a deal kind of the way the NBA does. A 5 year deal at most for example and offer as much yearly as you want. That way salaried can go up and small market teams can compete but not risk mortgaging their future paying a guy $30M per season when he’s become a shell of his former self. To put into perspective how long these 13 year dalas are, 13 years ago was the ‘09 team with Jorge Cantu/Uggla/Hanley/Gabby and JJ won the ERA crown. Imagine we had signed Hanley to a 13 year $30m AAV contract back then and how quickly he fell off the earth. We’d have been almost completely handcuffed for the past 10 years paying that money to a washed up player

Edited by marlinsmaniac

16 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Exactly! I hate it so much when some Marlins fans say that with sincerity. They committed 100M, huge difference.

meanwhile, the Mets spent around that for this season lol.  (I haven't actually added their payroll additions for this year, but it's got to be close).

6 minutes ago, Michael said:

Might even be more.

Let's see.....just in Free agent signings and extensions:

Omar Navarez - 2/15 - (8M in 2023)

Kodai Senga 5/75 - (15 in '23?)

Brandon Nimmo - 8/162 - (20.25 in '23)

David Robertson - 1/10 (10 in '23)

Jose Quintana - 2/26 (13 in '23)

Justin Verlander - 2/86.66 (43.33 in '23)

Edwin Diaz - 5/102 (17.25 in '23)

So that's $126.83M in new money committed for '23 alone, not including trades for some guys (for example, they took Brigham and Hernandez from us.

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

but if you say 5 year, whatever you want per year, how are little teams going to compete on that either?

The Yankees could throw out 50M per year for 5.  You expect the Marlins or A's to do that?

Because it’s easier to maneuver $30-$40M for a year or two than it is for a decade. I can see the marlins cashing out on a 2 year 90M before I see them doing a 10 year 300M deal despite the higher AAV. Deals like Degrom’s and Verlander and Bauer with a bloated AAV but only 2-3 years are a much better investment for a small market team because it’s easier to project your financial/roster situation over then next couple of years than over a decade plus. Worst case it doesn’t work you re-tool once that contract is over and bring in whoever the best free agent is that particular off-season. That’s 100% more sustainable 

21 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Because it’s easier to maneuver $30-$40M for a year or two than it is for a decade. I can see the marlins cashing out on a 2 year 90M before I see them doing a 10 year 300M deal despite the higher AAV. Deals like Degrom’s and Verlander and Bauer with a bloated AAV but only 2-3 years are a much better investment for a small market team because it’s easier to project your financial/roster situation over then next couple of years than over a decade plus. Worst case it doesn’t work you re-tool once that contract is over and bring in whoever the best free agent is that particular off-season. That’s 100% more sustainable 

Yep. I wish they had offered something nuts to Correa like 2yrs 90mil to see if he would bite. It's def an overpayment but it's also affordable with this payroll. Two years is a long time and a lot can happen (including prospects getting better enough to start) that in two years they could just flip another short term huge overpayment to another star. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

I get it from a logical standpoint.  But that'd require spending money, period, which we don't seem set to spend a dime.

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

Yep. I wish they had offered something nuts to Correa like 2yrs 90mil to see if he would bite. It's def an overpayment but it's also affordable with this payroll. Two years is a long time and a lot can happen (including prospects getting better enough to start) that in two years they could just flip another short term huge overpayment to another star. 

That’s 100% the way every small market team should be operating right now. If, for example, a team knows they have a can’t miss catching prospect that’ll be ready in 2-3 years, overpay for the top catcher in the game for those years. Then when that catcher comes up and the free agent catchers contract is up, you use that “overpay” money for an elite stop gap at the next position or two that they are developing. That way you have 40-60 mil in payroll allocated to elite level players at any given moment, and another 60 in payroll to the rest of your home grown controllable/affordable talent. That puts you at a $100M-$120M payroll with an actual plan of both competitiveness and development for the future. 

Edited by marlinsmaniac

49 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

That’s 100% the way every small market team should be operating right now. If, for example, a team knows they have a can’t miss catching prospect that’ll be ready in 2-3 years, overpay for the top catcher in the game for those years. Then when that catcher comes up and the free agent catchers contract is up, you use that “overpay” money for an elite stop gap at the next position or two that they are developing. That way you have 40-60 mil in payroll allocated to elite level players at any given moment, and another 60 in payroll to the rest of your home grown controllable/affordable talent. That puts you at a $100M-$120M payroll with an actual plan of both competitiveness and development for the future. 

Shhhh it makes too much sense