Lotto Debate

rmc523

I play $10 on the lotto each week when I get groceries for the week as the vending machine is right there after you checkout. I play the mega millions, powerball, and "the pick" which is an Arizona lotto thing that has BOTH a shot at instantly winning and also has a drawing for the grand prize.  I used to play a $2 instant win type of game that I won the second place prize on last year but have since switched over to The Pick game. Additionally Arizona also has an app you can your tickets with and you get points you can use to enter other cash and prize drawings.

52 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

Do you guys prefer scratch offs or the regular lottery games where you pick the numbers and fill out the slip and get a ticket?

I'm usually 50/50 on that.

I like the idea of scratch offs, because it feels fun and there is the instant gratification factor if you win. The problem is that it's almost impossible to win anything more than a few bucks, so that can end up being a big waste of money. Especially when you get to the higher priced ones like the $20-$30 ones. Which do have higher odds. But also still a high chance of winning nothing.

That feeling you get when you pay $30 for a Scratch off with top prize of like $10,000,000, and you scratch all the numbers and you win absolutely nothing. And you have that moment of realization that you literally just took $30 and traded it for a piece of paper that is worthless and you could have thrown the $30 in the trash and would be in the same result. 😅

The classic lottery games where you pick 5 or 6 numbers are not that bad, still the odds are almost impossible to match all the numbers. But at least at $1-$2 a ticket, it's not that bad if you just do it a couple of times a week. It's one of the few remaining cheap form of entertainment. Even just to give yourself a chance to dream for a few hours, it's worth the $2 in my opinion.

Still haven't won anything of note, yet. But man, it's a fun feeling to dream for a few hours. Especially with tonight's Mega Millions jackpot of $1.1 Billion.

Yeah I'll spend $2, knowing deep down in my mind that I have a 99.99999999% of not winning anything. But still that .000000000001% chance makes me feel excited for a few hours.

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

It's not a bad way to waste $2.

Heck the other night I wasted $12 at Sonic Drive In, with rude order taker, tiny portion of food for the price. And that large lemonade I ordered that was like $3-4, the cup was seriously filled about 90% with crushed ice. What rip off.

I usually do the scratch offs, but will play some of the bigger jackpots (like everyone else lol)

I tend to do several of the lower priced games like the $1-5 ones.  That way I feel I have more of a chance without outlaying a ton for each ticket.

34 minutes ago, hovertical said:

I play $10 on the lotto each week when I get groceries for the week as the vending machine is right there after you checkout. I play the mega millions, powerball, and "the pick" which is an Arizona lotto thing that has BOTH a shot at instantly winning and also has a drawing for the grand prize.  I used to play a $2 instant win type of game that I won the second place prize on last year but have since switched over to The Pick game. Additionally Arizona also has an app you can your tickets with and you get points you can use to enter other cash and prize drawings.

I like the vending machine too - I can sit there and look at the different options without feeling like the cashier and/or people behind me are waiting on me lol.

1 hour ago, SirFishFan said:

Friday nights for me.

Actually I've noticed that very few fast food places around here give out ketchup anymore in the drive thru. What's up with that?

Seriously. I shouldn't have to ask at the window and make a special request for ketchup. Stupid.

If I'm spending $9.59 for a stupid combo meal that's not even that good. At least give me ketchup.

Nobody puts it in the bag automatically anymore. I appreciate any employee that asks "any ketchup? any sauce?" cuz at least they thought of it. I get annoyed when I get nuggets and they don't even ask like come on you know I'm gonna need some sauce for this, how do you not even ask?

Chick Fil A always asks and then gives you wayyyyy too many of any sauce you request. Like they're trying to be extra nice but I literally feel bad that I ordered food for two people and was given ten sauces, what a waste of sauce. 

But the reason I posted this... I'll never forget years ago I asked for ketchup at a McDonald's and the lady says "how many do you want because we're not supposed to give out that many?" WHAT???? What a stupid and insulting thing to say. I just spent money on your product and you have a problem giving me the typical free items that come with any meal out of courtesy? I should have said a crazy number like 24 please, just to see what she said. Don't question me on napkins and sauces.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

Nobody puts it in the bag automatically anymore. I appreciate any employee that asks "any ketchup? any sauce?" cuz at least they thought of it. I get annoyed when I get nuggets and they don't even ask like come on you know I'm gonna need some sauce for this, how do you not even ask?

Chick Fil A always asks and then gives you wayyyyy too many of any sauce you request. Like they're trying to be extra nice but I literally feel bad that I ordered food for two people and was given ten sauces, what a waste of sauce. 

But the reason I posted this... I'll never forget years ago I asked for ketchup at a McDonald's and the lady says "how many do you want because we're not supposed to give out that many?" WHAT???? What a stupid and insulting thing to say. I just spent money on your product and you have a problem giving me the typical free items that come with any meal out of courtesy? I should have said a crazy number like 24 please, just to see what she said. Don't question me on napkins and sauces.

I just got Jack's and they gave like 15 ketchup packets.  I used like 10 of them because there's so little in each one, but still, I'm glad they gave a bunch.

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

That’s so dumb. 😂

It’s like they figured that they could save a couple of bucks by not giving out ketchup automatically and just waiting for people to ask and then they give out like 1-2 packs. 😂

Miss the 90s/early 2000s, I was too young to drive back then but I think I remember that when you ordered through drive thru’s they usually included ketchup every time. Good old days. 😂

On a related note, can't stand drive thru employees who don't say anything to acknowledge you. I always greet them and say thanks and have a great day or whatever just to interact with them for two seconds and so many just have no clue how to respond and most say absolutely nothing. It's so sad. I've literally had multiple times where I never even seen the persons face as they stick their arm out the window to give you the bag and they're turned the other way doing something else. Losers.

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Kinder people and less managers saying "stop giving out ketchup unless they ask."

Yeah, seems like everything's about the bottom line these days.

On a related note, can't stand drive thru employees who don't say anything to acknowledge you. I always greet them and say thanks and have a great day or whatever just to interact with them for two seconds and so many just have no clue how to respond and most say absolutely nothing. It's so sad. I've literally had multiple times where I never even seen the persons face as they stick their arm out the window to give you the bag and they're turned the other way doing something else. Losers.

I think in general people are less and less friendly these days, at least in more populated areas.

2 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I think in general people are less and less friendly these days, at least in more populated areas.

That and kids/teenagers who didn't learn how to interact with other humans. Major problem.

A while back I was stopped at a red light and I saw two young adults, a male and a female, crossing the street in front of me. They were on opposite corners and were walking straight towards each other. I saw it and I laughed and I said oh how cute they're about to meet and fall in love with each other. It literally looked like it was about to be a scene in a romantic comedy. You know what happened? As they got closer to each other both of them reached into their pockets and pulled out their phones, put their heads down and looked down at their phones and they ended up crossing each other without acknowledging each other even though they both saw each other before this phone crap.

I was dumbfounded. I would have seen this moment coming and would have easily looked the girl in the eye and smiled and said hello and see how she reacted. But these two fools whipped out their phones like defense mechanisms to not have to interact with each other. I wish I had that recorded. That said so much to me about the world we live in now. It's awful.

There's so many examples of this. Sit down in a crowded office or waiting room, a restaurant, a bar, etc. and nobody interacts anymore.

Just now, SilverBullet said:

That and kids/teenagers who didn't learn how to interact with other humans. Major problem.

A while back I was stopped at a red light and I saw two young adults, a male and a female, crossing the street in front of me. They were on opposite corners and were walking straight towards each other. I saw it and I laughed and I said oh how cute they're about to meet and fall in love with each other. It literally looked like it was about to be a scene in a romantic comedy. You know what happened? As they got closer to each other both of them reached into their pockets and pulled out their phones, put their heads down and looked down at their phones and they ended up crossing each other without acknowledging each other even though they both saw each other before this phone crap.

I was dumbfounded. I would have seen this moment coming and would have easily looked the girl in the eye and smiled and said hello and see how she reacted. But these two fools whipped out their phones like defense mechanisms to not have to interact with each other. I wish I had that recorded. That said so much to me about the world we live in now. It's awful.

There's so many examples of this. Sit down in a crowded office or waiting room, a restaurant, a bar, etc. and nobody interacts anymore.

I mean, I do that too if I don't want to talk to someone.  Not all the time, but it's definitely an easy go-to.

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I agree 100%. 

That actually happened to me the other day. 

In Miami it used to happen all the time. It’s like basic customer service is a foreign language to most South Florida fast food and retail workers. It’s horrible when you’re at a drive thru or counter or even check out lane at Publix and the cashier doesn’t acknowledge you or say hello or even tell you the total price in some cases. Of course I try not to take it personally, although it’s terrible when the person right behind you gets a friendly hello when it’s there turn. 😂

The other day I just happened to be driving through real boondocks part of Ga Bulldogs country. Went through a McDonalds drive through and at both windows they looked at me so weird and didn’t say one word or tell me the total just blank stared with a disapproving look on their faces. 😂😂😂😂😂

I’m half Hispanic but because of fun genetics I look more Hispanic most days  than white, so I’m pretty sure that was the main reason.

I have to admit that overall GA Bulldogs country people tend to be a lot more friendlier than Miami people in my experience. Just when you get further out in boonies then it can be hit or miss depending on how you look that day. 😂

That's a good observation. Our obsession with phones has given me a bit of fatigue. I wish we'd go back to the days of beepers. I'm considering getting a Pixel Watch with LTE capabilities so it acts as a beeper in that I'll get notifications and emails from work, but won't feel compelled to check it or do anything on it since it's so burdensome to scroll on a watch. I'll leave my phone at home more often.

Phones and social media are leading to social rot, and it's completely obvious.

7 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I mean, I do that too if I don't want to talk to someone.  Not all the time, but it's definitely an easy go-to.

I've done it myself too. It's just a big problem of society now and it's changed so much of how we interact and I think for many it hurts them. I do it but if I need to interact with someone I think I know how to. It concerns me when kids and young adults don't have these social skills.

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I've done it myself too. It's just a big problem of society now and it's changed so much of how we interact and I think for many it hurts them. I do it but if I need to interact with someone I think I know how to. It concerns me when kids and young adults don't have these social skills.

Oh for sure.  A 2nd or 3rd cousin of mine in Nashville (can't remember the exact relation) has a daughter who is 10 now, and she's ALWAYS glued to her iPad.  We see them once a year if that, and the whole time she's glued to it - barely eats food because she's too busy staring at the screen.  The parents are divorced, so even if my cousin enforced "iPad time", it likely doesn't get enforced on the other end, so there's a "favorite" war there.  She's actually very smart, but spends way too much time on that thing in social settings....I'm sure it's worse at home.

And I say that knowing I will voluntarily spend too much of my own time on devices if I have nothing else to do (or things I don't want to do).