Jazz Chisholm, Jr. MLB the Show 23 Cover Athlete

Michael

Im happy for Jazz, honestly, but I really think Sandy Deserved it over him.

Also, I agree with @QbanCastillo, the pose the photo they chose to use is ridiculous. It isn’t a baseball photo whatsoever, it may as we’ll be a photo from Dick’s sports advertising clothing. He has a beeeeeautiful back-swing that would have lent itself to that cover so perfectly. Or even a photo of him screaming “let’s go” after sliding in safe at third with his cool blue dreads if they wanted some color to the photo. But honestly this just screams of a bunch of old dudes in the board room telling Marketing to try to appeal to black kids through “swag” instead of baseball. For god’s sake, even Sony and MLB basically had to over explain their decision and say that it’s about more than stats because it really makes little sense for Jazz to be there. I’m glad it’s a Marlins player, but 1) Sandy deserves it more 2) if you’re gonna put Jazz on the cover, then respect him, the team and the sport enough to put a game photo in there. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Im happy for Jazz, honestly, but I really think Sandy Deserved it over him.

Also, I agree with @QbanCastillo, the pose the photo they chose to use is ridiculous. It isn’t a baseball photo whatsoever, it may as we’ll be a photo from Dick’s sports advertising clothing. He has a beeeeeautiful back-swing that would have lent itself to that cover so perfectly. Or even a photo of him screaming “let’s go” after sliding in safe at third with his cool blue dreads if they wanted some color to the photo. But honestly this just screams of a bunch of old dudes in the board room telling Marketing to try to appeal to black kids through “swag” instead of baseball. For god’s sake, even Sony and MLB basically had to over explain their decision and say that it’s about more than stats because it really makes little sense for Jazz to be there. I’m glad it’s a Marlins player, but 1) Sandy deserves it more 2) if you’re gonna put Jazz on the cover, then respect him, the team and the sport enough to put a game photo in there. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sandy was NOT going to be on the cover as casual fans and a lot of kids probably still have no idea who he is. Jazz is simply much more marketable. It's a freaking game and you're supposed to have fun with it. I don't care that he's doing a non-baseball activity on the front. We all know what baseball "motions" look like - let Jazz do something that reps himself (and I guarantee he approved this picture). If you want the sport to survive and younger generations to follow the team and bring themselves on board as fans you're gonna have to learn to appeal to them as well.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, hovertical said:

Sandy was NOT going to be on the cover as casual fans and a lot of kids probably still have no idea who he is. Jazz is simply much more marketable. It's a freaking game and you're supposed to have fun with it. I don't care that he's doing a non-baseball activity on the front. We all know what baseball "motions" look like - let Jazz do something that reps himself (and I guarantee he approved this picture). If you want the sport to survive and younger generations to follow the team and bring themselves on board as fans you're gonna have to learn to appeal to them as well.

So the way we should be appealing to kids is with vanity over substance? I’ve been playing MLB since I was seven on PS1, I didn’t need a picture of Bobby Bonilla in a Kangol hat, adidas track suit and gold chain to get me excited about. Same goes for pretty much every single person here. If they want to get kids back into the sport they need to dig deep and every team needs to sponsor the local youth leagues and tournaments that are keeping kids from playing the sport. You can find a basketball on the side of the road, spend 5 hours a day on your own improving your shot, and making layups. But to play meaningful youth baseball you beed $500 in equipment, a monthly fee to your team, $400 buy in for a tournament, a new bat each season, new cleats every few months cause your foot is growing etc. push kids to play it, and they become life long fans. Instead they want to add a couple of tik tok kids to the crowd?

16 minutes ago, hovertical said:

This nails it. It's marketing and marketing swag and ultimately meant for a younger audience. Older baseball fans who play this game will complain but they'd buy the game if Brinson was on the cover because they're gonna buy it anyways, the cover isn't an influence on their purchasing decision. Jazz is an excellent choice as far as catching the eye of people who might not be guaranteed to buy it. Those are the people that the cover athlete is for. 

As for "deserving" it? Jazz doesn't deserve it from a baseball perspective. but thats not what this is about.

3 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

I’ve been playing MLB since I was seven on PS1, I didn’t need a picture of Bobby Bonilla in a Kangol hat, adidas track suit and gold chain to get me excited about. Same goes for pretty much every single person here.

This is why you and us are not the target audience of the cover. You would buy the game if it had Bruce Sherman on the cover.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

If they want to get kids back into the sport they need to dig deep and every team needs to sponsor the local youth leagues and tournaments that are keeping kids from playing the sport.

This is true but video games help introduce them to the gane as well even though it's not the same as getting them on actual fields. The only reason I enjoy anything about football is cuz as a kid I heard what a great game Madden was and so eventually I got a copy just to play it and I learned sooooo much about the NFL because of that game. Damn now that I think about it I did the same with an NHL video game as a kid. Crap now I'm thinking about NBA Jam... there's definitely a path to loving a sport through video games.

15 hours ago, Hook, Line, and Sinker said:

It hasn't been announced yet but last year you couldn't. Even if they did add the feature it's unlikely you could transfer from anything other than last year's version of the game.

14 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Yea the aesthetics of the cover has to be the answer, but my first look just saw a colorful cover and didn't see how his red and white sleeves wouldn't fit. I think they still could have left it as is but looking at again I see they're limiting the color palette and that works too. 

I don't know the answer to the second question but any year to year transfer most likely has to go 21 to 22 and then 22 to 23, unlikely that you can skip from 21 to 23 unless that's some new feature being added in. 

Ah i guess that make sense.  Annoying that I'd have to start over just because I skipped a year.  I haven't played it much in some time.

10 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Ah i guess that make sense.  Annoying that I'd have to start over just because I skipped a year.  I haven't played it much in some time.

According to their FAQ, they will not be allowing year to year transfers even from last year this time around. So it turns out even if you hadn't skipped a year, you'd be in the same spot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLBTheShow/comments/10pdwlb/there_will_be_no_year_to_year_saves_for_mlb_23/

6 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

According to their FAQ, they will not be allowing year to year transfers even from last year this time around. So it turns out even if you hadn't skipped a year, you'd be in the same spot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLBTheShow/comments/10pdwlb/there_will_be_no_year_to_year_saves_for_mlb_23/

So basically "here's our new game, you start from complete scratch, good luck."

I get most games are like that, but most don't have an individual/personalized character that you're "building" to get to a certain point.

Just now, rmc523 said:

So basically "here's our new game, you start from complete scratch, good luck."

I get most games are like that, but most don't have an individual/personalized character that you're "building" to get to a certain point.

I agree, and I don't understand the rationale behind the decision. It'd be a reason for someone to buy the new game. Now that same person may say "fuck it, I'll stay on 22"

1 minute ago, SonOfJack said:

I agree, and I don't understand the rationale behind the decision. It'd be a reason for someone to buy the new game. Now that same person may say "fuck it, I'll stay on 22"

Yeah, that's my thinking as well.  I've put X hours into getting this character this far for nothing?  Forget the new version.

It's not like, say, GTA, where it's a different theme/location/characters.  It's the same thing, just a new year with new features.

2 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

So the way we should be appealing to kids is with vanity over substance? I’ve been playing MLB since I was seven on PS1, I didn’t need a picture of Bobby Bonilla in a Kangol hat, adidas track suit and gold chain to get me excited about. Same goes for pretty much every single person here. If they want to get kids back into the sport they need to dig deep and every team needs to sponsor the local youth leagues and tournaments that are keeping kids from playing the sport. You can find a basketball on the side of the road, spend 5 hours a day on your own improving your shot, and making layups. But to play meaningful youth baseball you beed $500 in equipment, a monthly fee to your team, $400 buy in for a tournament, a new bat each season, new cleats every few months cause your foot is growing etc. push kids to play it, and they become life long fans. Instead they want to add a couple of tik tok kids to the crowd?

So your logic is because 25 years ago you didn't need to be marketed to in a certain way that nothing should change to stay current and attract new clientele to your product? 

Kids want flash, style and larger than life personas -  it's as much a part of the game now as the game itself and for many casual younger fans probably even moreso than the game itself. Most kids are not going to want to learn a new sport where you aren't allowed to express yourself. Anyone buying this knows it's a baseball game - the cover shows kids it's MORE than just baseball though and that thought went into more than just the baseball mechanics.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, hovertical said:

So your logic is because 25 years ago you didn't need to be marketed to in a certain way that nothing should change to stay current and attract new clientele to your product? 

Kids want flash, style and larger than life personas -  it's as much a part of the game now as the game itself and for many casual younger fans probably even moreso than the game itself. Most kids are not going to want to learn a new sport where you aren't allowed to express yourself. Anyone buying this knows it's a baseball game - the cover shows kids it's MORE than just baseball though and that thought went into more than just the baseball mechanics.

season 13 GIF

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

If they went strictly by baseball stats, Jazz would not be on the cover so it makes sense they leaned into his persona.

That has been so many people's arguments.

"Do these stats look like a cover athlete?!"

Who shits a fuck?