Ridiculous requests from fam/friends?

Daddy Dix

I'm sure each of you have had something like this happen in your life based on your own set of skills and/or hobbies. 

I figured I'd share my most recent one and then see what ridiculous things you guys have been asked to do...

My mother-in-law's sister apparently wants to buy a new PC and she mentioned that to my mother-in-law who then brought my name up as I build PCs for people for fun.  I do enjoy finding good deals on parts, etc. and I enjoy bringing them to life and showing just how much better a custom built PC is versus some off-the-shelf trash (and for about the same price - or even cheaper).

Anyway, she asks if I can text her sister and gives me her info so i shoot her a text asking for her email address so I can send her over some questions to get an idea of what she's going to use it for, budget, favorite color, design aesthetics, etc..  I get the info back and this lady literally says "Yes, I have a budget of $300 and that includes the shipping cost for you to mail it to me. Please use the best parts you can find as I want it to last a really long time".

Yes.  $300 total including shipping.  She was looking at Walmart and saw they have refurbed Dell optiplexes on there from probably some call center circa 2004 that are selling for about $100 so she thinks that's the "normal" price for a PC hence $300 should get her something top of the line. 

I told her I could build her a very nice "office" type pc that will meet all her basic needs that she's going to use it for for around $425ish but she said nope - that's too much to spend on a computer.  I said she could buy a cheap laptop for that much and just connect it to her monitor if that's what she wants but she insists on a desktop only.

Now, I am being viewed as an unhelpful snob who thinks he's too good to help out. 

She's not poor either. She's a miser who has no kids and inherited a totally free house decades ago and has had a fulltime job. she just doesn't spend money on anything either.  I'll be fascinated who, if anyone, will actually get her money when she drops dead.

Anyway, what stories do you guys have?  I know family/friends LOVE to take advantage of people who are decent photographers/artists too and just expect that everything will be done for free.  I'm interested to hear some good stories though. Go for it!

I can't think of a specific story that's all that good, but I get family asking for graphics stuff often (like Illustrator/photoshop type work).  I also do sign painting gigs sporadically (either someone I know, or one I'm working on now actually drove by when I was doing work for someone else) for friends/family, but I do charge for that.

1 hour ago, fanofthefish said:

When I used to work at a central Florida theme park  I would get a lot of requests for free admission even having family members "Volunteer" me to get someone I've never met into the parks?!? Then I'm the jerk for not wanting to spend my day off getting them in 

Yeah I could see that going down. How often did you give in and actually do it?

1 hour ago, SirFishFan said:

Well, thankfully I don’t really have super interesting hobbies/skills so I don’t have this problem.

No one is going to ask me to watch baseball or play a song on the guitar as a favor for them. 😂

Well, I mean depending how well you can play I could see that.

13 hours ago, fanofthefish said:

When I used to work at a central Florida theme park  I would get a lot of requests for free admission even having family members "Volunteer" me to get someone I've never met into the parks?!? Then I'm the jerk for not wanting to spend my day off getting them in 

yuck, that sounds annoying!