Bleday traded to Oakland for A.J. Puk

THRILLHO

5 minutes ago, canada-marlin24 said:

I thought Bleday had a lot of potential but he would have needed to clean up a lot of things to make it happen. I remember Puk from 2-3 year ago and he was a legit top prospect. Seems like he put it together last year and has the ability to be dominant. 

Yeah it's a solid trade. I liked Bleday a lot as well when we drafted him but they changed his approach and he was just not very good even before being called up. Puk did well last year and now he's coming over to work with Mel too so this is a win in my books.

21 hours ago, hovertical said:

Again, I think most of us are just happy to see real changes made to the big league roster that should make them better.  Two months or so ago this was an absolutely putrid offseason attempt.  Good to see Ng finally get down to business.  Now, her next task will be actually managing the roster in-season and not leaving the bench short for days or even weeks at a time.  I would think that would be the easier part of her job but she's been pretty bad at it two straight seasons and I can't see how Jeter/Denbo would have forced her into deliberately sabotaging the roster - I guess MAYBE to get "better" picks? But Jeter clearly also wanted to win now so I don't quite think that fits the narrative either.  Who knows for sure

Oh I agree - nice to see some attention being paid to the ML roster.   Doesn't change that it'll be interesting to see how he does with a different hitting philosophy (whether that'd have been here, or now in Oakland).

21 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Oh yea let's not forget that piss poor in season roster management of hers. There's no way that's on Jeter or Denbo or anyone. That one is all on the GM and it'll be something to keep an eye on this season. 

Agreed - she's been terrible in that regard.  The only thing we don't know for sure is if it was truly a "committee" approach in that several people had to vote/agree to make calls, and that wound up hamstringing decisions on roster movements?

We'll find out this season.  If she reacts much faster, it'll either mean she's finally learned how to do it, or that there was a limiting decision factor.

21 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I would also love to find out how Kim would do with a contending team leading up to the deadline as that's a different ballgame in terms of urgency. Like Mike Hill in 2020 and Beinfest in 2003 who both excelled. 

If she takes weeks to start like this offseason, then yikes.

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

Yeah it's a solid trade. I liked Bleday a lot as well when we drafted him but they changed his approach and he was just not very good even before being called up. Puk did well last year and now he's coming over to work with Mel too so this is a win in my books.

It amazes me that an organization that hasn't developed any noteworthy bats in the last decade would try to change a guy's approach that has had success.

• Like 1

I agree with the trade, but part of me is wondering if with the new offensive coaching staff and the changes they’ve already made to the hitters’ mechanics  (according to the players) may have been able to correct the issues they embedded into J.J. Over the years. Probably not which is why I think this trade works, but definitely still a lingering thought lol

Edited by marlinsmaniac

17 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

I agree with the trade, but part of me is wondering if with the new offensive coaching staff and the changes they’ve already made to the hitters’ mechanics  (according to the players) may have been able to correct the issues they embedded into J.J. Over the years. Probably not which is why I think this trade works, but definitely still a lingering thought lol

Even still. Outfield very crowded. Jazz and Avisail are taking two guaranteed spots and we have DLC and Jeezy (at least) in left, Soler being another option. Team probably believes Jeezy's ceiling is higher and worth the risk, I guess.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Michael said:

Even still. Outfield very crowded. Jazz and Avisail are taking two guaranteed spots and we have DLC and Jeezy (at least) in left, Soler being another option. Team probably believes Jeezy's ceiling is higher and worth the risk, I guess.

Yeah definitely, might as well get a solid piece fod him like they did. Avi is the one that I desperately wish they hadn’t committed to. Could have signed Benintendi this off-season instead and really balanced out the lineup more.

Edited by marlinsmaniac

2 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Yeah definitely, might as well get a solid piece fod him like they did. Avi is the one that I desperately wish they hadn’t committed to. Could have signed Benintendi this off-season instead and really balanced out the lineup more.

Eh. IDK about Benintendi. Would he have been a better bat than Avi? Sure. Would he have been worth that same contract? Probably not.

Then again he'd have gone very much in line with the team's current preference for low strikeouts high contact, so hey. lol

4 hours ago, hovertical said:

Both Puk and Luzardo are listed on ESPN as breakout candidates this season in MLB based on their advanced stats from last season. 

I'd go as far to say that Luzardo broke out in 2022, but in fairness, I guess the sample size of 100.2 innings was somewhat limited.

56 minutes ago, Michael said:

Eh. IDK about Benintendi. Would he have been a better bat than Avi? Sure. Would he have been worth that same contract? Probably not.

Then again he'd have gone very much in line with the team's current preference for low strikeouts high contact, so hey. lol

Absolutely man! I remember Benni before they told him to lift the ball in 2019 and quite literally ruined his swing. Once he went to KC and got his approach back the average and OBP shot back up. Plus he’s an awesome teammate and one of those gritty players you just love to root for. 

Basically I’m a fan of his if you can’t tell lol