What's Changed?

Entendu

I've been thinking about how different this team has played since before the All Star Break. I'm having a hard time separating anecdote from fact - but it seems like the SPs are walking a lot more (by way of more 2-2 or 3-2 counts) and some key hitters underperforming. It feels like DLC is not getting those big hits like he was earlier in the season, Soler is slumping and Arraez is swinging and missing a lot more.

What else has changed? Any of this just in my head? Would be nice to have a conversation about what the Marlins need to improve on to go on a first half-type run.

Feels like a lot has gone wrong at once. Oftentimes the offense picks up the pitching, the bullpen picks up the offense, and on and on. Lately nothing has clicked. Didn't someone here recently say "they're playing their worst baseball against their toughest opponents" and it leads to a bunch of losses.

I still feel like they're a strong series win away from righting the ship. If we assume the Reds series was that series, then we can look at the last few weeks and realize they got swept by two really great teams in BAL and TEX, and they lost two series to quality teams who have been playing better in PHI and STL. They split with the Rays which is fine with everyone. The only puzzling series was the series loss to the Rockies but we know the Marlins have had trouble with them this year.

So I don't think the bad run was unreasonable if we look at it like that. It's bound to happen to every team at some point and we all know that the Marlins aren't flawless. 

This all assumes they'll play better of course. I just think there's still time to pull the nose up on this thing. 

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Feels like a lot has gone wrong at once. Oftentimes the offense picks up the pitching, the bullpen picks up the offense, and on and on. Lately nothing has clicked. Didn't someone here recently say "they're playing their worst baseball against their toughest opponents" and it leads to a bunch of losses.

I still feel like they're a strong series win away from righting the ship. If we assume the Reds series was that series, then we can look at the last few weeks and realize they got swept by two really great teams in BAL and TEX, and they lost two series to quality teams who have been playing better in PHI and STL. They split with the Rays which is fine with everyone. The only puzzling series was the series loss to the Rockies but we know the Marlins have had trouble with them this year.

So I don't think the bad run was unreasonable if we look at it like that. It's bound to happen to every team at some point and we all know that the Marlins aren't flawless. 

This all assumes they'll play better of course. I just think there's still time to pull the nose up on this thing. 

Also, we can look at the teams around us too - several other teams also lost quite a few in a row too, which helped us out in not falling out of it completely.  So it's not just us struggling too.

It does seem like everything went wrong at once - SP would suck, offense would suck, and/or bullpen would implode nightly for a while there.  I admit it got me deflated there too since it seemed like they weren't righting the ship anytime soon....

I truly hope winning that Reds series was a permanent righting the ship.  I don't need sweeps either, just keep winning series - taking 2 of 3 more often than 1 of 3 - and it'll all be fine.  Just sucks that they lost their entire 3.0 games up/1st place WC cushion, but who knows, maybe we can get there again!

27 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Also, we can look at the teams around us too - several other teams also lost quite a few in a row too, which helped us out in not falling out of it completely.  So it's not just us struggling too.

It does seem like everything went wrong at once - SP would suck, offense would suck, and/or bullpen would implode nightly for a while there.  I admit it got me deflated there too since it seemed like they weren't righting the ship anytime soon....

I truly hope winning that Reds series was a permanent righting the ship.  I don't need sweeps either, just keep winning series - taking 2 of 3 more often than 1 of 3 - and it'll all be fine.  Just sucks that they lost their entire 3.0 games up/1st place WC cushion, but who knows, maybe we can get there again!

I think the team needs a good 7 game win streak and then consistent series wins to get back to where they were. I'm optimistic that it will happen at an unlikely time, but concerned that if it doesn't then we'll miss the playoffs 

Soler and Arraez really carried the offense the first half.  There was also a month there where Sanchez and DLC were hitting like all stars.

The bullpen also over achieved and really helped cover for our lack of offense and starters not going deep into games. That finally caught up to them.

However,  there's reason dor optimism.  Our rotation now has 4 solid starters with Sandy, Jesus, Eury and Braxton. Our bullpen should rebound.  Those Robertson blown saves were probably an anomaly because he's better than that.  Scott and Nardi are nails in the late innings and Puk has looked like early season Puk his last 2 or 3 outings. 

Also, Bell has been great, and Burger will also be able to contribute as well.  He's already so much better defensively than Segura. Jazz being back and hopefully staying healthy is going to be crucial, also. 

All in all, the offense is as deep as it has been in a long time.  We just have to get Wendle, Avi, and the catchers out of the lineup and we are rolling.  Addition by subtraction!  

By the way, do you all know that we have a catcher with 20 HR's already in AAA.  I mean, please call him up already!! FFS!!

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

Arraez hasn’t been terrible, but he also hasn’t been a god like he was in the 1st half.

Soler just recently started hitting again.

And our bullpen hasn’t been as good (Nardi being hurt didn’t help). 

That’s basically it. 

This team relies on its bullpen more than most other teams if you truly look at it. We’re 26-10 in 1-run games. 

• Like 2

Bergers home runs all came in short 3-4 game chunks in Chicago. 

He gets into one of those soon in August it can help us string some wins against some tough opponents. 

We have above average power now, if a few get hot together with our rotation we can win some games against anyone on this schedule imo

Edited by WillyumKeef

This last month probably ruined what I was gonna bring up here but I would love to get to a point where just playing barely above .500 would be enough to get us a spot. Being 14 games over .500 sure felt like a nice position to be in for that. So like get far enough ahead that we wouldn't need to rely on sweeps and streaks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

This last month probably ruined what I was gonna bring up here but I would love to get to a point where just playing barely above .500 would be enough to get us a spot. Being 14 games over .500 sure felt like a nice position to be in for that. So like get far enough ahead that we wouldn't need to rely on sweeps and streaks. 

That's why I think we need a big win streak. They need to get somewhat comfortable in a wildcard spot with the schedule they have coming up

52 minutes ago, Entendu said:

That's why I think we need a big win streak. They need to get somewhat comfortable in a wildcard spot with the schedule they have coming up

Franchise first 10 game win streak would be great. We got our first cycle out of the way, why not a 10 gamer?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Entendu said:

I think the team needs a good 7 game win streak and then consistent series wins to get back to where they were. I'm optimistic that it will happen at an unlikely time, but concerned that if it doesn't then we'll miss the playoffs 

Oh sure, that'd be great, but let's at least start winning series again.

17 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Yeah, that was the thing, we'd have been fine if we could've just played .500 then.  Now we have some work to do.

11 minutes ago, Erick said:

Something that’s also changing is that Skip Schumaker refuses to hit Luis Arraez 1st all of the sudden. 

When you have one of the best leadoff hitters in baseball, that’s the part of the team that clearly needs to change. 

Skip is throwing games on purpose

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

Skip is throwing games on purpose

I'm sure you're not being serious but it makes zero sense to me to suddenly have Soler leading off. If they're going to just go for. Ore power at the top you may as well just put Jazz back in there at leadoff since at least he can take an extra base or via steal or if Arraez follows up with a hit. 

Who knows, maybe they are throwing games. The whole second half has been in stark contrast to the first. Not just in terms of winning but bullpen management, trades that seem to be more future based than current, and lineup construction. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hovertical said:

I'm sure you're not being serious but it makes zero sense to me to suddenly have Soler leading off. If they're going to just go for. Ore power at the top you may as well just put Jazz back in there at leadoff since at least he can take an extra base or via steal or if Arraez follows up with a hit. 

Who knows, maybe they are throwing games. The whole second half has been in stark contrast to the first. Not just in terms of winning but bullpen management, trades that seem to be more future based than current, and lineup construction. 

Yeah, some of the decision making has seemed 180 from the first half, and doesn't make sense.