2023/24 Off-Season

The Marlins continue with the BIG moves....

...by signing a 31 year old that hasn't pitched in the bigs in 3 years, and had a 6.19 ERA in Triple A for the Pirates last year.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/marlins-kent-emanuel-agree-to-minor-league-deal.html

The Marlins are in agreement with left-hander Kent Emanuel on a minor league contract, reports Craig Mish of SportsGrid (on X). He receives a non-roster invitation to MLB Spring Training.

A North Carolina product, Emanuel has 10 big league games on his résumé. Those came back during the 2021 campaign, when he logged 17 2/3 innings of 2.55 ERA ball with the Astros. That year was cut short in June by a UCL injury that required surgical repair. Emanuel hasn’t appeared in the big leagues since then, largely because of injuries.

Houston waived him at the end of the ’21 campaign. He landed in Philadelphia via claim but opened the next year on the injured list as he worked back from the elbow procedure. Emanuel suffered a shoulder injury late in 2022 while pitching in the minors. Philadelphia let him go at the end of the year without getting him into a major league game.

The 31-year-old signed a minor league deal with the Pirates a year ago. He started 13 of 20 appearances for their top affiliate in Indianapolis. Emanuel posted a lackluster 6.19 ERA over 84 1/3 innings, running a slightly below-average 20.1% strikeout rate in the process. Pittsburgh released him in August.

Edited by rmc523

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/marlins-to-acquire-darren-mccaughan-designate-peyton-burdick.html

The Marlins are acquiring right-hander Darren McCaughan from the Mariners for cash considerations, reports Jordan McPherson of the Miami Herald (X link). Christina De Nicola of MLB.com reports (on X) that outfielder Peyton Burdick is being designated for assignment to clear space on the 40-man roster.

The Long Beach State product, who turns 28 next month, saw very brief MLB action with Seattle in 2021 and ’23. He has allowed 13 runs in 14 big league innings. McCaughan has spent most of the last three years working as rotation depth at Triple-A Tacoma. He started 25 games there a season ago, pitching to a 5.83 ERA across 139 innings. His 21.2% strikeout percentage was a little below average, but he kept his walks to a modest 7.2% clip.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/marlins-to-acquire-darren-mccaughan-designate-peyton-burdick.html

The Marlins are acquiring right-hander Darren McCaughan from the Mariners for cash considerations, reports Jordan McPherson of the Miami Herald (X link). Christina De Nicola of MLB.com reports (on X) that outfielder Peyton Burdick is being designated for assignment to clear space on the 40-man roster.

The Long Beach State product, who turns 28 next month, saw very brief MLB action with Seattle in 2021 and ’23. He has allowed 13 runs in 14 big league innings. McCaughan has spent most of the last three years working as rotation depth at Triple-A Tacoma. He started 25 games there a season ago, pitching to a 5.83 ERA across 139 innings. His 21.2% strikeout percentage was a little below average, but he kept his walks to a modest 7.2% clip.

Bendix trying to stop the WAR in the middle east by acquiring a critical mass of negative WAR in Miami.

• Haha 2

Ng developed from the rich team system (Dodgers and Yankees) so she's not used to be cheap and would spends some money, Bendix developed from the poor team system (Rays) so he's used to be cheap and enjoy to be the most cheap, it's why Sherman likes him so much.

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I get that this team needs starter depth. This guy sucks. But even beyond that, did they really have to DFA one of the few guys who actually showed some potential as a hitter? Seems odd to me. Not particularly consequential, but confusing.

5 hours ago, mystikol87 said:

I get that this team needs starter depth. This guy sucks. But even beyond that, did they really have to DFA one of the few guys who actually showed some potential as a hitter? Seems odd to me. Not particularly consequential, but confusing.

"If he's a good hitter, why doesn't he hit good?"

- Billy "Brad Pitt" Beane [and also me]

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mystikol87 said:

Every one he’s acquired sucks.

I’ll be happy if they all way outperform their numbers Rays-style, but I have zero confidence they do.

it’s just pathetic that this is how they follow up a playoff season.

whether or not Kim’s offseason would’ve been different I don’t know, but just about anything would’ve been better than this.

• Like 1

This could be the most boring off-season in team history. At least 1998 had some firesale trades. They sucked but it wasn't boring!

And technically the off-season ends when the team reports to spring training IMO which is 5 days away. We could actually go the entire off-season without one FA signing.

2 hours ago, Admin said:

This could be the most boring off-season in team history. At least 1998 had some firesale trades. They sucked but it wasn't boring!

And technically the off-season ends when the team reports to spring training IMO which is 5 days away. We could actually go the entire off-season without one FA signing.

yeah the prospects they got back for a lot of the 98 firesale were actually highly regarded too so there was at least some sense of "hey, for real, give us a few years and we'll crush".  Bendix seems to be shopping the dumpster behind Goodwill

• Sad 1