Kim Ng Not Returning

Michael

Bruce totally tone deaf if he thought this was the right move to make.

I did wonder why we had a GM and not a President of Baseball Ops when most other teams have both but this is not how to introduce that to our front office.

It's insulting. 

If they had missed the playoffs and then tried this then that would be different. 

• Like 1

While I don’t think she was the best GM for reasons mentioned above, I do think she earned a 3 year extension offer, not just an option year (assuming it was a single year option and not a multi-year option).

she still had things to learn anout in-season roster management, and had things to complete here - we know many of the issues with the team and don’t need to rehash.

this news of Bruce wanting to add a PBO above her is strange, and no wonder she left, along with the lack of a multi-year offer.

why would he not just make her PBO and get a new GM under her?  Seems strange to me.

that said, before this season, many of us were ready to move on from her anyway, but this will annoyingly result in a new transition period where a new GM will want to evaluate the roster and reshape it to his (or her) liking.

I really don’t understand why he decides to shake things up after successful seasons, but stays the course after poor seasons….doesn’t paint a positive picture of ownership.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Truthfully I don’t understand the whole PBO/GM distinction (which I think we started under Loria way back when) - isn’t it just the same hierarchy as GM/AGM with different titles?

Apparently it's the same but with more prestigious titles comes better pay so I remember when Loria went to this system he kept the same hierarchy and basically bumped up everyone's pay but the job duties were the same.

But my big confusion with it is this: if a team has a GM under a PBO then what GM duties does the GM actually do? Like when the Marlins had Dan Jennings as GM under President Mike Hill, when a trade was proposed, do other teams talk with Jennings or with Hill? One would assume Hill so it made the title of GM sound silly. If Kim had stayed GM here but a PBO came in, would Kim even have GM duties anymore?

Like I get the promotion and titles and pay raise aspects, I just think it's really weird to say you're the GM of a team when you aren't actually the leader of the team building department. 

I always thought the whole “PBO” title was so dumb. That’s why I was actually happy when (presumably) Derek Jeter got rid of that and just brought back having a GM as the decision maker like had been commonplace for decades in MLB. You always only use to hear about “Marlins GM Larry Beinfest” or “Yankees GM Brian Cashman.” But in the past 20 years or so when more teams started migrating to the PBO as being the decision maker but then also having a GM.. dumb to me.

Probably Brucey was feeling left out because some of his other MLB owner buddies all have PBO on their teams and he wanted one for the Marlins too. Got to keep up with the others right?

A lot of you guys are making comments about how you think the media will respond about the whole optics thing. I don’t think it will make much of a splash to be honest. Of course the Marlins tried to get out in front of that one by releasing that statement saying they exercised the 2024 option but she declined. 😂

I’m guessing she ends up with Red Sox or back directly at MLB. Or.. even though the White Sox already hired a new GM.. maybe they make a PBO offer to her. 😂

I think the PBO position is fine, it's having a GM under them is what's weird. If it was my team I'd have a PBO who has the fancy title but the role of a traditional GM, and under the PBO would be one or more Assistant GMs or a Vice President of Baseball Ops. Just eliminate the title of regular GM since the PBO now had those duties. 

15 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

The last phrase in this tweet makes it sound like it wasn't about Kim, it was about improving in other areas and Kim just wasn't comfortable with the changes. I don't blame Kim for leaving but I can see where Bruce had reason to want to make changes alongside her. 

Kim probably wasn’t comfortable with having a PBO come in and be a bigger decision maker than her and have the final word on big decision. Maybe if they offered her a PBO position she would have stayed but probably felt after all these years that to stay at a GM position but not be the top decision maker was an indignity. 

Or maybe not.. no one really knows the real reason only her and Bruce. I will not speculate anymore. I’ll go and buy a 1/2 gallon of ice cream and some hot fudge sauce and sprinkles and whipped cream. Plop down on the couch. And get ready for the subsequent nap. 😔

49 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

Kim probably wasn’t comfortable with having a PBO come in and be a bigger decision maker than her and have the final word on big decision. Maybe if they offered her a PBO position she would have stayed but probably felt after all these years that to stay at a GM position but not be the top decision maker was an indignity. 

Or maybe not.. no one really knows the real reason only her and Bruce. I will not speculate anymore. I’ll go and buy a 1/2 gallon of ice cream and some hot fudge sauce and sprinkles and whipped cream. Plop down on the couch. And get ready for the subsequent nap. 😔

It's late enough, just go to bed.

• Haha 1

Man, Sherman is an idiot.

You forced Ng to essentially accept a demotion after her squad got your poverty franchise to the playoffs for the first time in ages.

That’s stupid enough.

But then you pick up her option?? Why?!

These two actions don’t make sense together, unless they picked up the option in hopes she declined so they could spin it to less-bad PR.

I don’t get it. Sherman is awful.

Edited by mystikol87
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, mystikol87 said:

But then you pick up her option?? Why?!

What's not to get here?

They picked up the option for 2 reasons, Bruce did actually want her to stay as part of his restructured front office and secondly by picking up her option the departure becomes her choice and if she leaves they didn't fire her which would have been even worse than what happened today.

I thought the reason for the option being picked up was clear. 

1 hour ago, Michael said:

It's late enough, just go to bed.

Don’t try to moderate my life..

Yes Sir.. I’ll go right to bed. Unfortunately I’m a night owl because of my work schedule.. so I’ll go take a nap and then wake up for a 1 am gym session. Bulgarian Split Squats And Barbell Romanian Deadlifts to start.. Maybe dumbbell Romanian deadlifts if I’m too lazy to load the plates on the bar.

5 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

What's not to get here?

They picked up the option for 2 reasons, Bruce did actually want her to stay as part of his restructured front office and secondly by picking up her option the departure becomes her choice and if she leaves they didn't fire her which would have been even worse than what happened today.

I thought the reason for the option being picked up was clear. 

Bruce picking up the option while also wanting his own 'restructured baseball operation office' (aka bringing his friends and ass kissers on his money making business) is a cop out. That's just a manipulation tactic to deflect, he knew Ng wouldn't want to report to a new person so to say the 'we wanted her but she chose to leave' is bullshit. They knew the result if they did this, and a lack of a extension is more proof they had no desire to keep her. Skip was Kim Ng's guy so I don't see Skip and Bruce ever being best friends and it seems Bruce loves his friends over anything, so I imagine them making Skip's life hell so he can 'choose to leave' and then Bruce will be like "we wanted Skip back but he chose to leave 😢"