Peter Bendix Named Pres. Of Baseball Ops

Michael

2 hours ago, Das Texan said:

Contrarian thirnking...

The Rays 'system' is great at regular season winning.  It sucks when it comes to winning what really matters.  

And the Marlins haven't done much of either since 2003.

I would gladly take regular-season winning with the chance to get hot in the playoffs than not winning at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Anyways, kinda surprised how relatively quickly Bruce got this guy in. I thought it could have taken longer. But getting this guy in just on time for the GM meetings could be critical and if he's got even half a bit more urgency than Kim did in making moves this guy knows he has moves that need to be made and I'm now excited to see him get the ball rolling. This hire doesn't make me as nervous as I was weeks ago about a new GM/PBO having to start their run at a snail's pace while they familiarize themselves with the organization. 

It also leads me to believe that Bruce had his eye on him from the beginning. Bendix was probably the guy he wanted to place over Kim in the FO to begin with.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Serious question, how much turnover does he bring around him as far as the assistant GMs and others brought in by Kim, like Oz Ocampo? 

I'd imagine he'll keep some and move on from others.

And do they hire a new GM below him or just promote someone from within or don't bother with the position at all? 

I wouldn't be surprised if they leave if vacant this year while he adjusts to the new organization, and then fills the GM spot next year.

56 minutes ago, Michael said:

Mostly because of their failures in the postseason, which is fair. However, they get there, constantly, which is why this is still a good move. So hopefully his abilities and maybe a little more payroll flexibility, hopefully, perhaps, will get us through to a titleship.

45 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I mean, we just went 20 years between full season playoff appearances. I don't know anyone here outside of @TaiwanMarlinsand @Das Texan who wouldn't welcome consistent and consecutive playoff appearances even if it doesn't lead to many World Series wins. How is this even a question? How did we go from a 20 year drought to thinking some championship-less playoff appearances would be a bad thing? 

Yeah, you can't win it all if you don't even get there - I'd rather have a chance every year than watch countless rudderless seasons where we're out of it in May.

I don't think that's a fair assumption. The guy came from a low payroll organization but that doesn't mean he can only run cheap organizations. As I said above it wouldn't shock me if he gets to run an organization as smart as the Rays but now with some more money at his disposal. 

Right?

We have no guarantee Bruce will spend money, and it's more likely that he won't than he will given track record, but....

I love the narrative that just because we hired a Rays guy automatically means we want to be bottom of the barrel cheap.  Meanwhile Friedman went to the Dodgers years ago and the narrative is "they'll be smart with money".

I've been saying for years we should hire a Rays guy - about time we did.  Hopefully as you said, it'll be similar farm system success to replenish positions from within, but with some more funds at his disposal to retain/resign guys and have better FA targets than in the past.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Right?

We have no guarantee Bruce will spend money, and it's more likely that he won't than he will given track record, but....

I love the narrative that just because we hired a Rays guy automatically means we want to be bottom of the barrel cheap.  Meanwhile Friedman went to the Dodgers years ago and the narrative is "they'll be smart with money".

I've been saying for years we should hire a Rays guy - about time we did.  Hopefully as you said, it'll be similar farm system success to replenish positions from within, but with some more funds at his disposal to retain/resign guys and have better FA targets than in the past.

Agreed completely. I understand it’s easy to jump at the narrative when you see “Marlins hire Rays front office member”. The narratives and storylines write themselves. 

Beyond that surface level commentary is an owner who recognized his minor league system and player development is floundering. He sought after a solution to build a healthier organization by grabbing a key member from an elite player development organization. 

Edited by marlins_09
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, marlins_09 said:

an owner who recognized his minor league system and player development is floundering. He sought after a solution to build a healthier organization by grabbing a key member from an elite player development organization

An owner who could have easily said "first playoff spot in 20 years = keep everything the same and don't change a thing" and no one other than @TaiwanMarlins would have complained.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Das Texan said:

Contrarian thirnking...

The Rays 'system' is great at regular season winning.  It sucks when it comes to winning what really matters.  

Low payroll teams always played good in the regular season but played bad in the post-season, like the A's and Rays and I always think it's due to the inconsistent and the lack of experience for the young players. 

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I mean, we just went 20 years between full season playoff appearances. I don't know anyone here outside of @TaiwanMarlinsand @Das Texan who wouldn't welcome consistent and consecutive playoff appearances even if it doesn't lead to many World Series wins. How is this even a question? How did we go from a 20 year drought to thinking some championship-less playoff appearances would be a bad thing? 

I'm afraid Sherman wants to reconstruct the team for the future and not win-now.

4 hours ago, Michael said:

Quote from The Miami Herald (link provided at the end)

“Peter is an established industry leader with an extensive skill set and deep experience that will continue the momentum we have made on the Major League level, while also strategically building the foundation for sustained success through player acquisition, development, and scouting at all levels,” Marlins chairman and principal owner Bruce Sherman said in a press release.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article281455868.html#storylink=cpy

Underlined point very important, methinks!

AKA, we want to have a lower 1/3 of payroll and this is how to justify said low payroll. 

11 minutes ago, TaiwanMarlins said:

I'm afraid Sherman wants to reconstruct the team for the future and not win-now.

It would be a very small rebuild and not a traditional one at this point. Lots of young and good players who are still cheap, plus the young rotation - I think Bendix is going to do some good stuff here.

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I come from a mindset of the only thing that ultimately matters is that piece of metal as the Commish called it.

Its wonderful to just get there for a few years, but at some point... you gotta have something meaningful to hold onto.  Hooray regular season titles that nobody actually cares about.  

My biggest complaint is just that this sets up the Marlins to justify jettisoning players that are getting ready to cost money because it doesnt fit in with the draft and develop mindset.  Just saying that dont necessarily expect to see big dollar extensions for any guy as they are entering into that time of their career.

Thats how you build a system, the jury remains out on how successful it is if your acutal long term goal is to win a title.

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Das seems to think this is a stupid thing to care about. 

I dont recall saying that.  

The Marlins ALREADY have plenty of payroll flexibility, they have nothing really bad on the books other than the Avi contract which in the grand scheme of things isnt that bad from a financial standpoint if you look at the BIG picture.  

Just now, SilverBullet said:

Sure but the Marlins are in dire need of more of those made up regular season titles. 

That would require Bruce Sherman to actually open his checkbook.

If he were serious about changing the narrative, Luis Arraez for one is signed to a long term deal sometime before the winter meetings.

I'll let Bruce show his hand on this one...

"building the foundation for sustained success" = improving minor league system = getting better prospects = trading sandy and arraez for said prospects = rebuilding with low mlb payroll.

anyone who knows the marlins knows this "sustained success" is corporate jargon for rebuild and tank. now that we have hindsight... in 2017 Jeter's exact words sitting next to Sherman when Sherman bought the team:

"We want to build an organization that's sustainable over time"

1 hour ago, Das Texan said:

AKA, we want to have a lower 1/3 of payroll and this is how to justify said low payroll. 

Or they simply aren’t accepting a WC appearance as all things being good. This organization isn’t in a healthy spot, and it’s in large part due to the lack of minor league system. I don’t think that’s subjective. 

21 minutes ago, UpperDeckFishTank said:

"building the foundation for sustained success" = improving minor league system = getting better prospects = trading sandy and arraez for said prospects = rebuilding with low mlb payroll.

anyone who knows the marlins knows this "sustained success" is corporate jargon for rebuild and tank. now that we have hindsight... in 2017 Jeter's exact words sitting next to Sherman when Sherman bought the team:

Or maybe they’re tired of watching the worst developmental system in baseball. 

They didn’t hire a GM to make a few trades. The hired a VP of Baseball Ops to rework the development side of things. 

30 minutes ago, UpperDeckFishTank said:

Except why would we trade Sandy, who is on a RIDICULOUSLY affordable contract for his abilities [but is also OUT for all of 2024], and Arraez, who is still quite cheap [arbitration years] and coming off consecutive batting titles? They're not expensive. The only salary that needs to be dumped is Garcia, and that likely won't be doable unless attached with a prospect.

It's not going to be a full rebuild like before. Nor does it have to be.

You can't even compare it to Jeter coming in because he had to shed a $300M contract. Probably could have built around the rest of em [Ozuna, Yelich, Realmuto] but decided to try and re-stock that way, but even still, the situations are not comparable. We ALREADY have a low payroll compared to MLB teams, we don't need to slash it much.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, UpperDeckFishTank said:

This is bullshit jumping to conclusions. They can rebuild the farm without selling off the major league roster. Not once has Bruce Sherman given any indication of tanking in 2024. This is such a stupid discussion.