Choi and Cabrera

I just wanted to point out that right now, we have two of the best ranked young hitters in the game. We have them for several years without financial worry too. I think this is very exciting. I cant wait to see Choi in action - this guy, I think, is going to have quite a season. Better than Dusty ever imagined anyway. I think .260 25HR (110+K's though, 70BB). That would be great production at this point.

For Cabs, the sky is the limit. He could explode for 30+HR with a .300+ AVG. He too is going to K a lot though. But right now, you have got to be excited about these two young hitters. Choi needs to learn to lay off the high pitches inside and breaking pitches. He has good instincts though and scouts like his swing.

Not really news-worthy, I know, but I think a lot of experts are overlooking us in pre-season rankings right now. That is fine, but let us not overlook ourselves here. A lot of people are predicting the worst for Choi - which is intriguing. He only has 252 career ABs and has had solid success up to this point (barring his AVG).

Here is what Sickels wrote about Choi (before 2003 season):

Bill C asks: I've been a life-long (and just as long suffering) Cubs fan, but I never give up. As I watched Hee Seop Choi debut with the Cubs last year, it seemed to me that he wasn't very aggressive at the plate and seemed to lack confidence. Was that rookie jitters? What are your thoughts about his future?

Choi

Choi got in 50 at-bats at the major league level at the end of the year, hitting just .180, drawing seven walks but fanning 15 times. Drawing conclusions based on 50 at-bats is not a good practice. The sample is much too small. It is true that some scouts say Choi is "too passive" and gets tied up on inside pitches, but I've seen him a lot over the last few years, and I don't buy the criticisms. He is patient, yes, but this is generally a virtue. He has an uppercut swing, but his approach at the plate is intelligent, and he doesn't give at-bats away. He may need some time to adjust to major league pitching, but I am very confident in his ability to do so. I rate him as a Grade A prospect, a distinction he shares with just six other prospects in my book this year.

The question will be, will Dusty Baker feel the same way if Choi gets off to a slow start?

I also think Choi will have a big year. He's hitting .271 with 4 HR in the winter league. Not bad. Cabrera is hitting .325 with 4 HR. He is a stud. And let's not forget about Ramon Castro even though he is no longer a prospect. The guy has 20-25 HR power and has hit 8 HR i nthe Winter League. Abraham Nunez is another guy who intrigues me. He sould be our #4 OF and rotate with Conine and Choi for playing time as long as we don't sign Vlad.

I especially liked the translation of "diamond in the rough" to "untrimmed jewelry" in the story below. Enjoy.

Choi Hee-seop Aims ML Full Time Playing-25 HRs

DECEMBER 31, 2003 23:01

by Sang-Soo Kim ([email protected])

Choi Hee-seop greeted the New Year at Namhae Kyungnam.

This is the second time that he hailed the New Year at Namhae Ball Park since last year. He prays to have a wonderful year as he sees the rising sun standing at the shore of the sea in the early morning.

There were a lot of inconvenient things last year. He had seized the opportunity of full time major league play only five years after he advanced to USA, but after his sudden injury everything has changed. It was his moment when his value was raised by getting picked as Rookie of April. After he has wounded in the head at the match against the New York Yankees on June 8, he fell into the slump. He wandered the minor league for the bottom half of the season and in the end he got traded to the Florida Marlins, the World Series Champion team at the stove league.

?I felt really sorry when I left Cubs but now I take it positively thinking this trade is a new chance for me. I will play whole games next year.?

His nick name is Big Choi. Manger Dusty Baker of his former team, the Chicago Cubs, named it when he saw the big player, at 1m95cm and 110kg, at spring camp. He was the biggest man even in the Cubs. Choi Hee-seop got an even better evaluation in the US than Korea during his minor league times for having outstanding batting talent and physical status equivalent to Major Leaguers.

However he is still ?untrimmed jewelry.? He went 0.218 (44 hits out of 202 at bats) with eight homeruns and 28 RBIs in 79 games last year. This batting result shows his potential. He cannot be said to be an accurate hitter or outstanding slugger right now, because his weakness to in course balls and curve balls was exposed.

He showed us timidness just like other rookies show. Simple and honest Choi, son of a farmer, cares for others ahead of himself. Choi made an effort to earn base on balls for a team and he always tried team batting last year. He could not manage a full swing that fits his big body.

Now Choi knows well what Florida, his new nest, wants for him. ?There are few lefty hitters in Florida. I want to help our team with slugging this year.?

Choi?s goal this season is to play an entire game, get 600 at bats and hit over 20 homeruns. He shows confidence saying ?Frankly speaking, I think I can hit 25 homeruns if I play more games.?

Choi, who trains in a winter program at Namhae ball park with Bong Jung-keun of the Altanta Braves and Ryu Je-kuk and Kwon Yun-min of the Chicago Cubs since December 26, is scheduled to go to the US and enter into spring training.

Link

I know Migs can do it, he is young and already proved himself in his rookie season. He should have another big season again in 2004, well we need him to without Pudge in the lineup.

Im still not convinced about Choi. He has spent alot of time in the Minors and just came up from the Minors like last year, lets see if he can have this "Big" year.

I think a lot of people are underestimating Choi, last year this guy was thought to be the next Todd Helton/Raffy Palmeiro, yeah he started out being really good, but than he fell on his head and died the rest of the year. He was prolly one of the biggest dissapointments of the year because of his numbers, but im sure he will bounce back and have an above average year 260 18 75 ... and Cabrera is ok im not worried about him.

Marlins2003 - good post. I dont know where you got that article, but it is clearly written with a different point of view. Love it. It is good to see many here being very positive with Choi. I think he is going to put up solid numbers and start to grow into a monster offensively. I am very excited about he and Cabs in the same lineup for the next 10 years. Along with a staff of Penny, Beckett, Burnett, Willis - and Allison coming up? DAMN!

Let us not forget - Cabs does not have to replace Pudge. He has to replace Encarnacion. Conine has to replace H-worth/Cabs, Castro/Red replaces Pudge and Choi replaces Lee. I think our offense will be fine...

Let us not forget - Cabs does not have to replace Pudge. He has to replace Encarnacion. Conine has to replace H-worth/Cabs, Castro/Red replaces Pudge and Choi replaces Lee. I think our offense will be fine...

They replace the defense of said combatants. All but Hollandsworth/Conine IMO is a downgrade. The offense will be better with Conine replacing Pudge, Miggy - Lee, Choi - Encarnacion, Castro/Redmond - Hollandsworth. Offense looks good.

This season has a lot of intrigue to it. We'll be seeing how Ramon Castro can perform full-time, how Choi will turn out after a shaky but somewhat promising rookie year, how Miguel Cabrera can perform with a year under his belt, and how much our young pitching staff has progressed after their post-season success.

This season has a lot of intrigue to it. We'll be seeing how Ramon Castro can perform full-time, how Choi will turn out after a shaky but somewhat promising rookie year, how Miguel Cabrera can perform with a year under his belt, and how much our young pitching staff has progressed after their post-season success.

not to mention defending our world series championship

Guest Juanky

You know what, I could care less how bad Choi does when the score is 12-1. Becuase honestly, it is irrelevent. But if he can do what DLee and pre-September Pudge couldn't in the clutch (yeah, that's right, I'm talking about the Pudge that until September would ground into an inning ending double play every way possible) then it won't matter to me at all. I just want him to be able to come through in the clutch, and from what I've heard from people who saw him in the minors and in Chicago that he does that well. Play D and be clutch, and you already fit the system. Everything else is bonus.