Orioles ending pursuit of Pudge

LATEST NEWS - January 12 - Previous News

An Orioles official told the Baltimore Sun that his team won't resume its pursuit of Ivan Rodriguez. Signing Pudge in addition to Javy Lopez would be a waste of money. The Orioles still could sign Jay Payton or Raul Mondesi and push Jay Gibbons to DH, but they also might focus solely on pitching from here on in. Though they probably don't know it, they already have the DH spot covered with Jack Cust.

LINK: http://www.rotoworld.com/display1.asp?spor...yers&x=4680&y=0

-------------------------------------------------

man, those 4-year, $40 million dollar offers that Boras promised just keep on pourin' in!

what are the odds he comes back?

i can't imagine they're that great. i think that if he really was available on May 1st, and was willing to sign the kind of deal the Marlins wanted, the Marlins would consider it. But i can't imagine he doesn't swallow his pride and take some kind of deal before then. Hell, pretty soon, someone will be able to offer him a 1-year deal like the Marlins did, and he'll have to take it.

With Vlad going into the AL West, I am looking for some movement for Pudge from that division. Since the A's are so frugal, I don't think it is them. Texas - no way. The Angels have to be done with Vlad's contract, and its sounds like they made trade away some payroll. The Mariners want to win, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them replace Dan Wilson . Wilson turns 35 this March, and made 3.5 last year. If they can get Pudge for $7-8, for between $3.5 - $4.5 they could signifcantly upgrade that position.

The O's were probably Pudges best remaining opportunity. It only goes downhill from there. He can forget about anyone coming up with his $40M/4yr demand. Only bargain hunters left out there now. You can bet he regrets not taking the Marlins offer.

He may be forced to take another 1 yr deal.....but that only makes him 1 yr older, and even less likely to get an attractive multi-year contract. Bottom line, Pudge and his agent Borass are in a poor negotiating position. :whistle

This proves that Pudge needed the Marlins more, than what the Marlins needed him.

This was the perfect scenario for him:

- best offer for him so far (if the 3/24 Million offer from the fish reports are true)

- Defending Champs

- Fans love him down here (not this board)

- Playing on his own backyard, better quality of life

Let this be a lesson, that going for the top dollar is not always in your best interest.

Pudge won't be around by the time May 1 comes around. The Tigers are slowly creeping into the picture with him. Probably wouldn't be able to pay him what he wants, but would give him a multi-year deal, and a guarenteed starting catcher position.

Wouldn't that be great......going from Champs to chumps. And likely at a lower salary. Just what Pudge deserves for being greedy. :D

Pudge won't be around by the time May 1 comes around. The Tigers are slowly creeping into the picture with him. Probably wouldn't be able to pay him what he wants, but would give him a multi-year deal, and a guarenteed starting catcher position.

Here is what Dombrowski said about why he is not interested in Pudge:

"We've had three offensive main needs: shortstop, second base and a bat in the outfield," Dombrowski said. "Those are the areas we wanted to address. In addition, we want to continue to give Brandon the opportunity to grow."

That's Brandon Inge, who hasn't established himself at catcher for a full season but improved last season after a trip to Triple-A Toledo.

The Tigers have signed free-agent second baseman Fernando Vina and free-agent outfielder Rondell White. They continue to search for a free-agent shortstop and a starting pitcher. The reluctance to pursue Rodriguez or Lopez could indicate that the club would make a Tejada-type bid only for a star who plays a position where the Tigers lack a visible incumbent.

That was from the Detroit Free Press last month, so the status may have changed. I screwed up the link and didn't save the article number. I have no idea what he sees in Inge.