Good Stuff on the Fish

Marlins2003

if that aint enough i dont knwo what is ... and they would also steal a base or two to make pudges work easier.... basically he always had a man on scoring position when he stepped up to bat.... but those darn double plays

and you said he was moving to a worse lineup ... as if the tigers one is better?

learn the facts and than speak sonny boy

"(he) basically he always had a man on scoring position when he stepped up to bat."

Always? He had 511 at bats last year, only in 144 of those did he have at least one runner in scoring position. In those at bats he hit .375/.463/.583. That's a 1.046 OPS.

"and you said he was moving to a worse lineup ... as if the tigers one is better?"

I said the Marlins' lineup was worse than the Rangers' lineup. Of course the Marlins' lineup is better than the Tigers' lineup. The Marlins' lineup will be worse in 2004 than it was in 2003, however. Lee's VORP last season was 45.0 while Choi's is only projected to be 25.6. Pudge's VORP last season was 46.3 while Castro's projected VORP is 22.1. It is projected that your lineup will score about 40 runs less than last season.

Jonnylons,

Ckeck out the least post. I wouldn't consider runners in scoring position 144 times out of 511 at bats the great amount of opportunites you are making it out to be.

I'm sorry but 53 AB is too small of a sample size to give you a good read on what Castro will produce next season. It's nice that he had a .937 OPS last season in those few at bats, but Baseball Prospectus expects him to be significantly inferior to Rodriguez next season (Last season Pudge's VORP was 46.3 and Castro's projected VORP next season is 22.1). If you are expecting the same production out of Castro, you will probably be dissapointed. When you factor in the cost difference between Castro and Pudge, your team is probably better off with Castro than Pudge, but it's doubtful that he will put up the same kind of numbers. It's probably better than Pudge is with an AL team now where he can DH which will extend his career. And I don't expect him to catch 140 games, but Trammell said he wants Pudge to catch 125-140 games next season.

Also, someone posted this on the Tigers board. These are Pudge's OPS+ over the last 3 seasons:

01-130

02-123

03-124

I don't really see a huge decline.

Great stuff Marlins 2003, Is this your new site fishpitch? Very good info for those fan who don't understand what goes into the Marlins thinking with this trades. Also show what I've been saying for a while, our front office is one of the best in baseball.

As far as Mike Nannini, I have to agree with Fish Fry. Yorman has huge upside BUT he hasn't done it pass A ball, while Nannini has and dominated (AA). I will say this if (God I hope not) one of our starters goes down. Nannini WILL be the arm they call up. Nannini is good but Oswalt's good? I'd say he's closer to the A's Hudson.

Its going to be a great year, I see blood in the waters and fire in the eyes. What's the most dangerous thing in sports? A DISRESPECTED CHAMPION!

Great stuff Marlins 2003

My only concern is the RICH pitching talent we Do have in the Farm system. I dont care to trade Young talented Pitchers from the farm like we did last year, But if we keep them, Who Goes???

I can't bear to lose AJ Burnett....and now Beckett, Palvano can go, but If Willis continues to impress, how can we let him go...then we hv Penny (a keeper in my book).

So AJ, Beckett, and Willis must stay and who could forget about our Penny.

But if one of these guys could be traded for a great young positional player...i just hope Penny's the one.

I may be looking deeper into the future...maybe 2 to 3 years ahead....wondering how others feel about this senerio.

This talk about I-Rod's statistical decline is ridiculous. The guy went from one of the 3 best hitters parks in baseball, to one of the better pitchers parks, and had the second-best OBP of his career. It's to be expected that his power numbers would drop. Had he played in a neutral park, his numbers would've easily matched what he did in Texas the past couple of years.