Battle for the Bullpen

From the Herald today. Sanders pitches in the late game in Jupiter tomorrow.

? Wednesday: Marlins (split squad) -- LHP Dontrelle Willis (14-6, 3.30 in 2003), RHP Aaron Small, RHP Marty McLeary, RHP Toby Borland and RHP Mike Nannini at Baltimore Orioles -- Pitchers TBA, 1:05 p.m., Fort Lauderdale.

? Wednesday: Marlins (split squad) -- RHP Brad Penny (14-10, 4.13 in 2003), RHP Chad Fox, RHP Kevin Cave, RHP Scott Sanders and LHP Franklyn Gracesqui vs. Los Angeles Dodgers -- Pitchers TBA, 7:05 p.m, Roger Dean Stadium, Jupiter.

*Update*

Franklyn Gracesqui- 3 IP 0 hits 0 ER 4 K 0 BB

Blaine Neal- 1 IP 0 hits 0 ER 1 K 0 BB

Mike Neu- 1 IP 0 hits 0 ER 0 K 1 BB

Tommy Phelps- 4 IP 6 hits 2 ER 3 K 1 BB

Michael Tejera- 3 IP 3 hits 1 ER 2K 1 BB

Justin Wayne- 1 IP 0 hits 0 ER 0 K 0 BB

Toby Borland- 2 IP 7 hits 4 ER 1 K 1 BB

Matt Perisho- 4-1/3 IP 4 hits 1 ER 3 K 0 BB

Mike Nannini- 4 IP 2 hit 0 ER 2 K 3 BB

Scott Sanders- 3 IP 5 hits 2 ER 5 K 0 BB

Gracesqui impresses again. You can't do much better than his line so far.

Tomorrow's pitchers after Pavano: Blaine Neal, Mike Neu, Matt Perisho, and Armando Benitez, who will make his 2nd appearance.

*Update*

Blaine Neal- 2 IP 0 hits 0 ER 1 K 0 BB

Mike Neu- 2 IP 0 hits 0 ER 0 K 1 BB

Scott Sanders- 3 IP 5 hits 2 ER 6 K 0 BB

Great job by Bump, Neal, and Neu today. Benitez performance is a little bothersome though.

and I took Mike Nannini off the list because he was sent to minor league camp.

*Update*

Scott Sanders- 3 IP 5 hits 2 ER 5 K 0 BB

Great job by Bump, Neal, and Neu today. Benitez performance is a little bothersome though.

and I took Mike Nannini off the list because he was sent to minor league camp.

Sanders has 6K's total

I have been to quite a few Marlins spring games and wanted to share my views:

We will have a six man bullpen with Benitez the stopper, Fox the setup man, two lefties and two men from the right.

Tejera as much as I hate to see him in the game is a third lock. He can serve as long-relief, as well as a spot starter. I believe Gracesqui has a real shot at making this team and if so, McKLeon won't want to have a rookie and a very shaky Phelps. So Tejera and Gracesqui are in.

From the right side we have a lot more options.

Neu -2 nice IP. They want him to make this team.

Neal - What's new...has looked great in the spring/AAA abnd then blows up in the majors. He is out of options so he may be given a shot if keeps up the good work.

Bump - he looked good today but his 5 baserunners in 3 innings looks like the inconsistent Bump we saw at the end of last season.

Perisho - He has looked strong, but would McKeon want two rookies in his bullpen on Opening Day? No.

Sanders - He has been throwing strikes and can pitch quite a few innings, but with Tejera in the bullpen and McKeon expecting 200+ IP from each starter we do NOT need two long relievers.

Small - He stats look better than he has pitched. He is not on this team in April.

Cave - I'd like to see more of him but we wont have two newbies in the BP in April.

Borland - Has looked dreadful.

Flannery - Seeya

Wayne - Just 1IP this spring surprises me. This cant be good for him

My Picks:

Benitez, Fox, Gracesqui, Tejera, Neu and Bump or Neal

Sorry....I was not implying Phelps was a rookie. What I meant was I didn't think Mckeon would want a rookie (Gracesqui) and Phelps.

As for Perisho...I mixed up my people. I put him in the same class as Scott Sanders. I don't see either on the team.

I still think before the season opens you're going to see faces in the bullpen that none of us are considering, most likely through trades and working the waiver wire. We need a Rick Helling equivalent big time, a guy who can spot start and is able to give you quality MLB innings from the pen as needed.

*UPDATE*

Michael Tejera- 5 IP 5 hits 1 ER 2K 1 BB

Matt Perisho- 5-1/3 IP 5 hits 1 ER 5 K 1 BB

Pretty good job by Tejera and Perisho yesterday.

I found the box score for yesterday in this mornings Palm Beach Post. Couldn't find it on the net...so had to input it the old fashioned way...by hand....

I don't live in south florida so I can't get the box scores, and I was working all weekend and didn't have a chance to listen to the games. I'd really appreciate if someone that got the box score from the paper could let me know how these guys did.

*UPDATE*

Franklyn Gracesqui- 4 IP 1 hits 0 ER 6 K 0 BB

Blaine Neal- 5 IP 6 hits 0 ER 4 K 1 BB

Mike Neu- 2-1/3 IP 0 hits 0 ER 0 K 1 BB

Tommy Phelps- 5 IP 7 hits 2 ER 3 K 1 BB

Michael Tejera- 5 IP 5 hits 1 ER 2K 1 BB

Justin Wayne- 2 IP 1 hits 0 ER 1 K 0 BB

Toby Borland- 3 IP 9 hits 4 ER 1 K 1 BB

Matt Perisho- 6-1/3 IP 5 hits 1 ER 5 K 2 BB

*UPDATE*

Blaine Neal- 4 IP 4 hits 0 ER 3 K 0 BB

Mike Neu- 5 IP 3 hits 0 ER 3 K 3 BB

Tommy Phelps- 5 IP 7 hits 2 ER 3 K 1 BB

Michael Tejera- 8 IP 6 hits 1 ER 3 K 1 BB

Justin Wayne- 5 IP 3 hits 0 ER 3 K 1 BB

Toby Borland- 4 IP 9 hits 4 ER 2 K 1 BB

Matt Perisho- 6-2/3 IP 5 hits 1 ER 5 K 2 BB

Scott Sanders- 4 IP 5 hits 2 ER 6 K 0 BB

:marlins :marlins Neu has actually pitched 5-1/3 innings. His innings tonight were credited to Neal in the boxscore. I listened to the game and it was Neu who pitched the 7th and 8th innings. I also listened to the other broadcast after it was archived and they also said it was Neu pitching. Since Neal is 6'5" and 240 lbs compared to Neu's 5'10" 175 lbs, I find it hard to believe they would mix them up. In fact the Marlins announcers described him as diminitive. In addition, the article on the Marlins website states that Neu pitched. Check out the stats at:

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...ining_stats.jsp

You will see that he had 3.1 innings before tonight so the total is now 5.1. Neal still has 4 innings. Hopefully they will fix the stats soon.

:marlins :marlins Neu has actually pitched 5-1/3 innings. His innings tonight were credited to Neal in the boxscore. I listened to the game and it was Neu who pitched the 7th and 8th innings. I also listened to the other broadcast after it was archived and they also said it was Neu pitching. Since Neal is 6'5" and 240 lbs compared to Neu's 5'10" 175 lbs, I find it hard to believe they would mix them up. In fact the Marlins announcers described him as diminitive. In addition, the article on the Marlins website states that Neu pitched. Check out the stats at:

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...ining_stats.jsp

You will see that he had 3.1 innings before tonight so the total is now 5.1. Neal still has 4 innings. Hopefully they will fix the stats soon.

ok I changed it, thanks.

I also took Gracesqui off the list since he was optioned to AAA camp. I will be shocked if he doesn't get called up at some time this year though.