Rays-Red Sox - The Aftermath

BasesLoadedWalk

I know others have said this before but I want to say that what the Rays have just done has given new hope to millions of fans who don't root for the big clubs. Before, every other media person has opined that there was no point in showing up if you're not the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers or Mets. I know that teams like the Twins, Reds and Marlins have reached this point before but that hasn't stopped the big mouths of the ESPNs from being big-market shills.

The victory is even more impressive considering that they played a familiar foe, a division rival. As you should know, when you play a team so many times once you meet them in the playoffs there's as much of a chance of them beating you because they know your strengths and weaknesses and can best exploit them. This would explain in part why the series went to seven games. The Red Sox are well familiar with playing high-end games and are not intimidated by anyone.

The Rays players have never tasted anything close to playoff glory. This group of guys have played as anonymous as possible in the Bay area sports scene, let alone the country. Now, they have reached the point that even many of the greats of the game have not had the opportunity to enjoy. Now I don't know what's going to happen in the World Series. However, this is going to be something they will remember for the rest of their lives.