Red Sox to interview Wilder for GM job

MrAndMrsFish

BOSTON ? (AP) ? The Boston Red Sox will interview David Wilder, the Chicago White Sox director of player development, on Saturday for their vacant general manager's job.

Red Sox chairman Tom Werner and president Admin Lucchino, along with other team officials, will meet with Wilder, who has been director of player development for the World Champion White Sox for two years, the team announced Friday.

In his current job, Wilder oversees Chicago's entire minor league department and player development staff as well as the club's Latin American operations.

Wilder began his player development career in the Oakland Athletics organization in 1990 after a seven-year minor league career as an outfielder in the Oakland and Chicago Cubs systems.

He was assistant director of scouting and player development for the Atlanta Braves from 1991-95; farm

director and assistant general manager with the Cubs from 1996-99; and vice president of player personnel and special assignment scout with the Milwaukee Brewers from 2000-03, before joining the White Sox in 2004.

He was also a member of the United States Olympic Baseball team's selection committee in 2000, helping assemble the team that won the gold medal at the Sydney Games.

The Red Sox announced Thursday they invited Jim Beattie, former Orioles executive vice president, and Washington Nationals' general manager Jim Bowden for second interviews, and planned to interview two other candidates.

Boston is looking for a replacement for Theo Epstein, who left Oct. 31 after he and the team could not reach agreement on a new contract.

Guest Moneyball

I hear meetings are being set up with Anna Nicole Smith, Peter Griffin, and the Philly Phanatic next...

:banghead

I was contacted yesterday and chose not to take the job. :mischief

I hear meetings are being set up with Anna Nicole Smith, Peter Griffin, and the Philly Phanatic next...

:banghead

I was contacted yesterday and chose not to take the job. :mischief

The proper procedure is to take an interview, then when asked for a second interview...you decline...