July 13, 200818 yr http://www.miamiherald.com/591/story/603217.html Marlins' Ross benefits from change in approach Posted on Sun, Jul. 13, 2008 r } D. ROSS CAMERON / AP The Marlins' Cody Ross is congratulated by his teammates after connecting for a solo home run off Oakland Athletics' Alan Embree to tie the score at 3-3 in the eighth inning of their game, Saturday, June 21, 2008, in Oakland, Calif. The Marlins won, 6-4. Marlins win fourth straight LOS ANGELES -- Cody Ross readily acknowledged that he was aiming for the fences in May when most of his hits were home runs. But now that he is playing regularly and pitchers are working the outside of the plate to steer clear of his power, Ross said his hitting approach has changed.''Once they start throwing sliders away, you have to take what they give you,'' he said. ``Sometimes they don't throw you any homer pitches.'' Ross took a 15-game hitting streak into Saturday's game, and he had raised his average to .266 since June 20, when his average stood at .209. Although Ross hit safely in 20 of his past 21 games, just four of the hits were home runs. At one point earlier this season, nine of his 10 hits during a torrid stretch were home runs. ''When I was hitting those homers, I was platooning and not playing everyday,'' he said. ``So when I'd get in there, I felt like I just needed to produce and help my team. I was going up, and I'm definitely not trying to get a base hit.'' That philosophy has changed, and although his power has tapered off slightly, his batting average has soared. Ross hit .369 from June 20 through Friday, when his fourth-inning single extended his streak. STARTERS PITCHING DEEPER INTO GAMES Although three Marlins starters in the past week have come tantalizingly close to throwing the team's first complete game since 2006, the fact they are pitching deeper has been a pleasant relief for everyone on the club. Scott Olsen, Ricky Nolasco and Chris Volstad produced starts of eight or more innings, with Volstad missing a complete game -- and a shutout -- by one out Friday. If it keeps up, Olsen said it could pay major dividends later in the season. ''Later on in the year, I think it would be really important for us, just because of the workload we've put on our bullpen the last year and a half,'' Olsen said. ''If we can get five guys consistently going six or seven innings that would save our bullpen.'' . . . Nolasco will make the first start for the Marlins after the All-Star break, when they open a homestand next Friday against the Philadelphia Phillies. He will be followed in the rotation by Olsen, Andrew Miller, Josh Johnson and Volstad. While it would be nice to go R/L/R/L/R.... I suppose Johnson and Volstad should both get more time before being a #3 guy. Congrats to Nolasco for being the number 1 guy! You deserve it!
July 13, 200818 yr On the TV broadcast last night, Tommy mentioned that Fredi said he wanted the two lefties to pitch against the Phillies, because of their abundance of left-handed hitters. I would have split it up and gone Olsen-Nolasco-Miller, but I guess it doesn't make that much difference. Maybe when we have an off day they will split them up again.
July 13, 200818 yr It's gonna get crowded when Anibal gets back... Not to mention Mitre isn't going to be gone forever. We're going to be stacked at starting pitcher before too long.
July 13, 200818 yr It's gonna get crowded when Anibal gets back... Not to mention Mitre isn't going to be gone forever. We're going to be stacked at starting pitcher before too long. The rotation will sort itself out fast.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.