2004 FIU Diamond Dinner VI

1truefan

The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics at Florida International University and BellSouth proudly present 2004 FIU Diamond Dinner VI.

Saturday, January 24th, 2004

6:00pm-Silent Auctoin/Reception

7:00pm- Dinner and Evening's Program

Gerry Hunsicker, GM, Houston Astros

Graham Center Ballrooms, UP Campus

Meet past, present and future players.

Seating is limited-call 305.348.2903. All proceeds benefit the FIU athletic program.

Table of ten- $1,000.00

Individual Seats- $125.00

GPC or FIU Employees-$100.00

They'll also be retiring Mike Lowell's number so that should be interesting!

• 2 weeks later...

This goes along with this.

Golden Panthers to Retire Mike Lowell?s College Number

Mike Lowell

Former Florida International University and current Florida Marlins? third-baseman Mike Lowell will have his college number retired as part of the FIU baseball program?s annual Diamond Dinner on Saturday, January 24. Lowell, who wore the number 15 at FIU, will become the third Golden Panther baseball player to have his number retired.

?It is a great honor because FIU was a major stepping stone toward achieving my goals in academics as well as on the baseball field,? Lowell said. ?To have [FIU] recognize my achievements with the retiring of my number is very rewarding and very gratifying. This is a very special moment for me.?

Danny Price, FIU?s baseball coach, who coached Lowell between 1993 and 1995, said retiring a player?s number is the highest honor a team can bestow on one of its own.

The dinner will be preceded by a reception and auction starting at 6 p.m. in the Graham Center Ballroom, FIU University Park, 11200 SW 8th Street. Gerry Hunsicker, the Houston Astros? general manager will be the keynote speaker.

Hunsicker, who earned his master?s degree in education from FIU in 1976, served as an assistant baseball coach at FIU from 1975-1978. Hunsicker is credited with turning the Astros into one of the most consistent teams in Major League Baseball, through careful player development in its farm system and strategic trades.

Coach Price said the attendance of a great such as Hunsicker is a tribute to Lowell?s persistence and dedication to honest work.

That work led to a career .353-batting-average, which is the fifth-best in school history. Lowell was also the Trans America Atlantic Conference?s Student-Athlete of the Year in 1995, and earned academic all-American honors in 1995.

?The two things Mike has are discipline and work ethic. Add to that loyalty. Through all his success he remains loyal to his alma mater,? Price said. ?I was not in the locker room when the Marlins were making their run to the championship, but I assure you that Mike was displaying those same qualities. Personalities like his are the ones that bond teams together and help them overcome impossible odds such as beating the richest teams in baseball in their home turf.?

Price points out that even when the New York Yankees drafted Lowell in 1995, Lowell decided to stay in school. In the off-season he took classes and graduated with honors in 1997 with a degree in finance. That was not surprising from a player who regularly stayed after practice to work on his batting skills, Price said.

Seeing his former player showered in champagne in the Yankee Stadium?s locker room, elated Price, but did not surprise him.

?When I started to get to know Mike, I realized he would be somebody. If he hadn?t made it in baseball he would be head of a major corporation, or a senator. I did not know what, but I knew he would be big,? Price said.

FIU President Modesto Maidique, said honoring Lowell is a special accomplishment for FIU.

?Mike Lowell is a tribute to what hard work and discipline can accomplish,? said Maidique.

Tickets for the Diamond Dinner are $125 each. For more information call 305-348-2903

Link