Bill Cosby speech--WOW!

Dodge

The Washington Post

May 21, 2004

Bill Cosby was anything but politically correct in his remarks at a Constitution Hall bash in Washington commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Brown vs. Board of Education decision. To everyone's astonishment, laughter and applause, Cosby mocked everything from urban fashion to black spending and speaking habits.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal," he said Monday night. "These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids - $500 sneakers for what?

"And they won't spend $200 for 'Hooked on Phonics.' ...

"They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English," he said. "I can't even talk the way these people talk: 'Why you ain't.' 'Where you is.' ... And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk. ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. ... You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth!"

When Cosby finally concluded, Howard University President H. Patrick Swygert, NAACP President Kweisi Mfume and NAACP legal defense fund head Theodore Shaw came to the podium looking stone-faced. Shaw told the crowd that most people on welfare are not African-American, and many of the problems his organization has addressed in the black community were not self-inflicted.

Copyright ? 2004, Newsday, Inc.

On the subject of the NAACP, I feel like they are now useless. There purpose has been accomplished a few times over. Unless, of course, they really care about the financial and education status of colored people, rather than social superiority.

Way to go Bill Cosby!

No pudding pops for them!

Seriously, Bill Cosby is becoming an old crank. Everybody is dumb and lacking class to him. Your days are over, Bill. But what memories we shall have.

Not everyone was lucky enough to get the ride Bill did. He fails to realize how above the curve he's had it all his life.

Foot in mouth disease for sure...

Seriously, Bill Cosby is becoming an old crank. Everybody is dumb and lacking class to him. Your days are over, Bill. But what memories we shall have.

Not everyone was lucky enough to get the ride Bill did. He fails to realize how above the curve he's had it all his life.

Foot in mouth disease for sure... well said.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal," he said Monday night. "These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids - $500 sneakers for what?

"They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English," he said. "I can't even talk the way these people talk: 'Why you ain't.' 'Where you is.' ... And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk. ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. ... You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth!"

I don't like Cosby but I do agree with what he said. However if I say something like this, I'm a racist. However, props to Cosby saying the obvious.

I don't like Cosby but I do agree with what he said. However if I say something like this, I'm a racist. However, props to Cosby saying the obvious. Nah, there's lots of white people that talk like that now.

Cosby's making fun of lower economic blacks and whites and all low income people. Its not race necessarily. Trust me, he would make fun of the "nascar" culture in this country too.

NASCAR cultured people can form sentences. Some of us may speak too fast or slow, or with a thick accent, but we can form sentences.

The term NASCAR culture is quickly becoming obsolete, being as NASCAR's fan base has boomed all over the country. It isn't just the Southeast.

Sucks being stereotyped doesnt it?

And trust me..a lot of people make fun of Southern drawl/slang. Doesnt that offend you?

Plus low income whites arent good at forming sentences either. My point? There are a lot of cultured blacks too just as there are cultured Nascar fans.

Sometimes it sucks, sometimes it makes me chuckle... :cool

Yeah, I know a lot of people make fun of a Southern drawl/slang. I'm from Virginia, and when I go up to New England every year, I always get comments. Both the good ones, and the not so good ones make me proud. It's better to take it in stride, and that is what I do.

There are cultured and uncultured fans in every sport and genre of people. Stereotypes have no base.

Foot in mouth disease for sure... Luck didn't earn Cosby his degrees, hard work did. All the man is saying is others should strive the same way.

When his son was murdered some years back, the kid was working on a masters in special education. This seems to have been the constant Cosby theme - education is the solution. Good friend of mine is black, successful, and grew up in a very low income area. He is the first to tell me that it was a combination of a lot of luck for his life and hard work. He attributes his success to having parents that pushed him hardcore, a luxury a lot of low income KIDS dont have. Then those same kids become terrible parents themselves. Its like a perpetual cycle. The chances that low income people escape there status is a low probability.

Education is the answer. But right now the education system stinks.

Trash is trash. Regardless of color. Trash sucks. Anyone who can emberass anyone within earshot is usually trash (like people screaming the "N-word" at Tee Jayes).

There should be a law against people for having a public lack of class.

Guest Moneyball

At least Bill Cosby has the cojones to say what he said . he's not a racist he's BLACK, he speaks the damn truth. and it's not the education system it's the student themselves white, black, yellow, red, green if you want to learn, pay attention in class and stop trying to be a "pimp","hoe","gangsta", and stop trying to live the "thug life". also stop saying your going to "jump him with my boys" and stop saying that smoking weed is cool. STOP BLAMING THE SYSTEM AND BLAME THE STUDENTS AND PARENTS!

I have to admit, on some level alot of what Cosby says makes sense to me, as a white dude.

But, in the end I know better. Forget about race for a second. In the end Bill Cosby is nothing more than a really, really, really, really rich dude, and what he spouts is elitism in it's purest form.

Any rich white dude from meager beginnings could stand up and bemoan Nascar tank-tops, trailer parks, naked lady mud flaps and Old Milwaukee beer, but it is what it is.