Jack Running Interleauge

Marlins

I think it would be cool if they would switch it around so that we could see the Marlins play with a DH at the Pro. I wish we could do that but I don't think it's going to happen. How would you guys feel if we switched it around?

Link

NEW YORK -- Make Jack McKeon commissioner for a day, and Interleague play would have at least one interesting change.

Once an opponent of Interleague action, the savvy 73-year-old has warmed up to facing opponents from the American League.

"The more I see how popular it is, [the more I think] it's nice for fans to see a different type of baseball," he said on Saturday morning.

But if he could change one thing, he would put a different twist on the format: The home team would use the other league's rules.

So if the Marlins are in Cleveland -- as they will be on Tuesday, for a three-game series -- both teams play by National League rules. The reverse would hold true when American League clubs visit NL cities.

Under the McKeon formula, the Marlins would use the designated hitter at Pro Player Stadium instead of in American League parks.

"That's the suggestion I would make," he said.

Beginning Tuesday, the Marlins will play 18 of their next 24 games against American League clubs.

McKeon favors switching the rules so that fans in those markets would see a different brand of ball. So if he had his way, Marlins fans in South Florida would see the designated hitter.

From a managerial standpoint, McKeon prefers the National League style because of the scenarios that surface without the DH. He has managed in both leagues, leading the Royals and A's in the AL before directing the Padres, Reds and now the Marlins in the NL.

When the Marlins travel to Cleveland, DH options include Lenny Harris, Damion Easley and starting left fielder Jeff Conine.

That is an interesting idea. Because that way, the home fans get to see a different style of ball being played - and may even spark some more interest and raise ticket sales. Right now, you get to see the DH on TV but never in person. Of course, the purists would hate it, and rightfully so. But it is only for a limited time and would be quite fun for the home fans (unless you were in an AL city and had to watch your pitcher hit!).

Well I think that we would get more fans because of it because they would be more intrested in the game and I think that they would still be intrested in it after the first year because it would still be considered a "new" idea to them. But do you think it would benefit the Marlins if they did that? Do you think it would help them out if they had the DH at the Pro?

what's the big deal about the DH? another hitter is added to the lineup instead of the pitcher.

big whoop.

It's cool. It also means 2 things:

1-If you have someone who is great at the plate but he dosent have good defense than you could put him in the DH.

2-The other team isn't going to get any easy outs because of the pitcher and that makes the game more offensive.

I would like to see this because besides the fact of us fans getting to see a DH. The AL teams could see the pitcher swing the bat and get some excitement from that I mean we all go nuts with Dontrelle so maybe some AL fans will finding a big bat in there pithcing staff.

But even if the AL teams find a big bat in their pitching staff-I don't think they will use the pitcher over someone else as a DH for 2 reasons:

1-Pitchers get tired when they have to go to bat and run around the bases...etc. And you don't want your pitcher to have to go through that.

2-Even if your pitcher is a good batter it still dosent matter because I'm sure that you can find someone that is better than him to can bat as DH instead of him...the pitcher would have to be a REALLY good batter for him to bat DH instead of someone else and if he is such a good batter then he shouldnt even be pitching, he should be hitting-like Babe Ruth did when he changed from a pitcher to a hitter. The team would benefit more if he was a hitter and helped them out everyday rather than just helping them out 1 out of every 5 games.

Guest Juanky

what's the big deal about the DH? another hitter is added to the lineup instead of the pitcher.

big whoop.

At this point, it is just a rule that separates the two leagues since everything else has become dilluted. It's still cool that the AL has it, and it's very very awesome that the NL doesn't.

But it is only for a limited time and would be quite fun for the home fans (unless you were in an AL city and had to watch your pitcher hit!).

{National League fan in an American League team's region }

:mad :

{ / National League fan in an American League team's region }

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.