An article discussing trade possibilities

jonnylons

Here it is:

Bullpen options: Now that the Marlins have brought up Manzanillo, there are few, if any, reliever options in Albuquerque.

The Marlins are exploring trade possibilities, but the availability out there is limited because so many teams believe they are still in playoff contention. While the Expos are slumping, they aren't interested in trading, especially with their division rivals.

The Royals are a team seeking moves for prospects or affordable veterans. Veteran reliever Jason Grimsley is a possibility; so is acquiring right-hander Rudy Seanez from the Royals' Triple-A Omaha affiliate.

In terms of acquiring position players, the Marlins are taking a wait-and-see approach. It's no secret the Royals are looking to move star outfielder Carlos Beltran, but his contract demands and current salary make it very unlikely the Marlins would be in the mix.

The Marlins parted with eight top prospects a year ago to acquire pitchers Mark Redman and Ugueth Urbina, and outfielder Jeff Conine. The team is being careful deciding which young players to part with now because the farm system is thinner.

Florida's priorities are relief help, first and foremost, and then another batter, possibly a catcher or outfielder.

It's doubtful a push will be made for Kansas City catcher Benito Santiago, a former Marlin with playoff experience. Santiago has a multi-year contract and his skills have declined.

Grimsley and Santiago. I wonder if something might happen there. The fact is KC is dealing and we are clearly in discussion with them. That is not to say that we are asking specifically about Beltran though.

Just keeping the pulse...

Grimsley, yes.

Santigo, no.

May be part of the package though. You want Grimsley, but will have to eat Santiago's contract. May not be soooo bad...

Santiago is making $2.2M this year....that would be a bit much to eat.

I'd rather see how Treanor works out first. Redmond is doing fine in the starting role.

May be part of the package though. You want Grimsley, but will have to eat Santiago's contract. May not be soooo bad...

I'd rather see how Treanor works out first. Redmond is doing fine in the starting role. I like Treanor a lot. I think he is very solid. I would like to see him ease into a platoon with Redmond. (and why not hit Redmond 3 - when Conine isnt there, of course :D )

But you never know, maybe we get Grimsley and Santiago because we deal Treanor to KC as part of the deal...or maybe Beltran too...something is brewing though I am sure of that.

May be part of the package though.? You want Grimsley, but will have to eat Santiago's contract.? May not be soooo bad...

I'd rather see how Treanor works out first. Redmond is doing fine in the starting role. I like Treanor a lot. I think he is very solid. I would like to see him ease into a platoon with Redmond. (and why not hit Redmond 3 - when Conine isnt there, of course :D )

But you never know, maybe we get Grimsley and Santiago because we deal Treanor to KC as part of the deal...or maybe Beltran too...something is brewing though I am sure of that. Redmond would hit well in the 3rd spot for sure.

His speed on the bases would be the issue. But I suppose having him hit 8th, in front of JP and Luis clogs the bases often enough already.

Grimsley and Santiago. I wonder if something might happen there. The fact is KC is dealing and we are clearly in discussion with them. That is not to say that we are asking specifically about Beltran though.

Grimsley's an identical pitcher to Bump (sinker-baller without overpowering stuff or command) only older and more expensive.

We don't need a catcher now that Castro is gone.

Are there any lefty outfielders available? Maybe one on a team with a fireballing reliever?

Grimsley's an identical pitcher to Bump (sinker-baller without overpowering stuff or command) only older and more expensive.

We don't need a catcher now that Castro is gone.

Are there any lefty outfielders available? Maybe one on a team with a fireballing reliever? I smell what you are suggesting - and that is that we dont have to make any sudden moves. I agree. This team has enough talent to win - and has all season long thus far. I like Bump, I really do. I think he could be a very good reliever and possibly a solid #5. He has been solid all year long despite what happened last night.

I just dont like going out and trading for a middle reliever just to make a deal. The talent isnt going to be upgraded just because a trade is made. You have to get someone with some ability. Eddie Guardado would be a very interesting acquisition, but his price tag is kind of heavy for us and I dont know what Seattle would want for him.

I am sure Beinfest is working on something though...