Mega Millions Jackpot Climbs to $290M

TealMonster

CHERRY HILL, N.J. ? When lottery jackpots get this high, the ticket-buying rituals get more elaborate.

Renee Mitchell of West Deptford, aiming to win a record $290 million jackpot in the multistate Mega Millions drawing, made multiple stops to buy tickets Thursday in hopes of improving her luck, but let the computer pick her numbers.

"My own numbers weren't very successful," said Mitchell, 49, a school social worker who expected to buy about 100 tickets for Friday's drawing. "So I'll pick anybody else's numbers."

Mitchell's third stop for tickets was the Friendly Food Mart where state Lottery Director Virginia S. Bauer promoted the game Thursday.

New Jerseyans didn't seem to need much prodding to play ? by midday they were buying tickets at a clip of 3,600 per minute ? about five times the normal rate, said lottery officials.

Friday's jackpot is expected to be the largest ever for Mega Millions (search), which sells tickets in Ohio, Michigan, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Texas, Virginia and Washington.

The estimated $290 million jackpot would be the sixth-biggest in U.S. history. The biggest was the $363 million jackpot that went to two winners in a May 2000 drawing of The Big Game, Mega Millions' predecessor.

Thomas Cook, who asked the Friendly Food Mart's owner for "five early retirement tickets," said he usually plays when the jackpot climbs over $120 million. The 135 million-to-1 odds of winning deter him from playing when the jackpot is a paltry $50 million or so.

"It's not enough," said Cook, 37, a customer service representative who lives in Delanco. "I've got a big family."

The person that wins will be VERY happy person lol

CHERRY HILL, N.J. ? When lottery jackpots get this high, the ticket-buying rituals get more elaborate.

Renee Mitchell of West Deptford, aiming to win a record $290 million jackpot in the multistate Mega Millions drawing, made multiple stops to buy tickets Thursday in hopes of improving her luck, but let the computer pick her numbers.

"My own numbers weren't very successful," said Mitchell, 49, a school social worker who expected to buy about 100 tickets for Friday's drawing. "So I'll pick anybody else's numbers."

Mitchell's third stop for tickets was the Friendly Food Mart where state Lottery Director Virginia S. Bauer promoted the game Thursday.

New Jerseyans didn't seem to need much prodding to play ? by midday they were buying tickets at a clip of 3,600 per minute ? about five times the normal rate, said lottery officials.

Friday's jackpot is expected to be the largest ever for Mega Millions (search), which sells tickets in Ohio, Michigan, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Texas, Virginia and Washington.

The estimated $290 million jackpot would be the sixth-biggest in U.S. history. The biggest was the $363 million jackpot that went to two winners in a May 2000 drawing of The Big Game, Mega Millions' predecessor.

Thomas Cook, who asked the Friendly Food Mart's owner for "five early retirement tickets," said he usually plays when the jackpot climbs over $120 million. The 135 million-to-1 odds of winning deter him from playing when the jackpot is a paltry $50 million or so.

"It's not enough," said Cook, 37, a customer service representative who lives in Delanco. "I've got a big family."

436692[/snapback]

And that person will have alot of friends. :lol

436692[/snapback]

And that person will have alot of friends. :lol

436697[/snapback]

I don't think my mom will, but I'm hoping we come out with the winning ticket. That would really make my day and my mom's.-lol