November 28, 200421 yr 'Alexander' Fails to Conquer U.S. Box Office Sunday November 28 1:03 PM ET Conquering much of the world was a piece of cake for Alexander the Great. Conquering the North American box office is another thing. "Alexander," director Oliver Stone's three-hour epic starring Irishman Colin Farrell as the youthful Macedonian warrior, opened at No. 6 with ticket sales of just $13.5 million for the three days beginning on Friday. Since opening on Wednesday to get a jump-start on the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday, the film has earned $21.6 million. The independently financed film, a dream project of Stone's for 15 years, reportedly cost more than $150 million to make. Warner Bros. Pictures., a unit of Time Warner Inc., paid $35 million for North American rights from the film's producer, Intermedia Films, a unit of Munich-based IM Internationalmedia AG . Nicolas Cage's action-adventure "National Treasure" was No. 1 for a second weekend with $33.1 million, followed by the animated superhero saga "The Incredibles" with $24.1 million. Both were distributed by Walt Disney Co., with the latter produced by Pixar Animation Studios Inc. "Christmas with the Kranks," a holiday comedy starring Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis, opened at No. 3 with $22.7 million for the three days and a better-than-expected $32.0 million since its Wednesday bow. The film was distributed by Columbia Pictures, a unit of Sony Corp. "The Polar Express" held steady at No. 4 with $20.1 million in its third weekend, taking its total to $82.2 million. The Christmas cartoon was distributed by Warner Bros., which evenly split the $170 million production budget and marketing costs with real-estate heir Steve Bing. Kids cartoon "The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie" fell three places to No. 5 with $17.8 million, for a 10-day total of $58.6 million. The film was distributed by Paramount Pictures, a unit of Viacom Inc. I was really looking forward to seeing Alexander but after seeing the horrific reviews it got I decided it wasnt worth it.
November 29, 200421 yr I was really looking forward to seeing Alexander but after seeing the horrific reviews it got I decided it wasnt worth it. 622649[/snapback] You didn't decide not to, you just had nobody to go with. :plain
November 29, 200421 yr I was really looking forward to seeing Alexander but after seeing the horrific reviews it got I decided it wasnt worth it. 622649[/snapback] You didn't decide not to, you just had nobody to go with. :plain 622797[/snapback] QWNED
November 29, 200421 yr Author I was really looking forward to seeing Alexander but after seeing the horrific reviews it got I decided it wasnt worth it. 622649[/snapback] You didn't decide not to, you just had nobody to go with. :plain 622797[/snapback]
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.