Ron Gant in trouble

Ramp

he needs a bigger house

:plain

What does it say about us when 11 bathrooms just are not enough?

Rob Daumeyer

It was a small item, buried in the Wall Street Journal. The headline: "Outfielder at Bat." But I'm still in awe.

It seems former Cincinnati Reds slugger Ron Gant, now retired, has decided to sell his Georgia home for $3.25 million. Now, that in and of itself isn't a big deal. Baseball players are often, in addition to drug-addled, rich. The Gant bungalow is a 12,000-square-foot house with eight bedrooms, 11 bathrooms and three -- that's three -- full kitchens. It has three floors and an upper-level golf lounge overlooking the local country club.

But it was the quote from Mr. Gant's wife, Heather, that shocked me to the core. "We love this house," she said, "but we have four kids and really need more space."

Whaaaa? She needs more space? What in the name of William Randolph Hearst is she talking about?

And the punchline is this: There was no punchline. She didn't say, "I'm just fooling around. We don't actually need a home bigger than 12,000 square feet. What am I, insane?" She was, apparently, as serious as a steroid-induced heart attack.

link

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.