What is the problem?

Hojo

Hey guys... I know I'm not the most liked guy around here... but over in a Mets board, I was having an argument over what the Marlins' woes are right now. Is it the lack of hitting with RISP, or is it the bullpen?

It takes a few pages, but jv3 and I (Hojo of 1991) seem to be the only people looking at you guys objectively. If you any of you guys wanna help me out, it's be appreciated. LOL

http://www.nysportsday.com/themofo/showthread.php?t=21583

Hitting, it just has a trickle down effect. We don't hit, we don't have a comfy lead, the bullpen has to be "perfect."

We left 35 guys on base in the Nats series, that's a hell of a lot when you get swept. You could say that the bullpen "blew" leads, but the offense sure as hell didn't help them out. This is the first time in a long time that if the Marlins are down two runs early, I just don't feel like we're going to win the game...

Damn... this place is dead

798786[/snapback]

I think the offensive problems are putting too much pressure on the bullpen.

For us to win games right now, the pen needs to be close to perfect and that's putting a lot of pressure.

Our starting pitching is holding well for the most part, but we are leading by only one or two runs after the 6th and the 7th and the bullpen or defense end up blowing the game.

The consensus definitely is the offense. The lack of RISP production and the general inconsistency (the 8 runs or none, feast or famine thing) seem to be the root of the problems. If only 20% of those runners had scored in the Nats series, you're looking at an extra 2 runs per game. The bullpen is problem 1a. While some extra runs would help, the fact is the bullpen isn't blowing a lead here or there. They're blowing all the leads right now. I don't think it's beyond the pale to expect them to hold a lead at least half the time, especially when guys are being asked to pitch one inning or to pitch to one batter. That shouldn't be as difficult as it has become for our bullpen. The Nats had Sunny Kim come in and shut us down for two or three innings the other day. I haven't seen that type of bullpen work from the Fish in quite some time now.