Burnett, Leiter news

MrAndMrsFish

Blue Jays: Team making play for Marlins pitcher Burnett

There are plenty of suitors for Marlins pitcher A.J. Burnett as the trade deadline nears, but the Blue Jays are one of the teams with the most realistic shot at acquiring him, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports. Jays pitching coach Brad Arnsberg is one of Burnett's closest friends, dating to their partnership with the Marlins in 2002-03. Add to that the fact the Marlins covet what the Blue Jays consider a tradable commodity in pitcher Gustavo Chacin, and the Blue Jays have the ability to raise payroll as much as $30 million a year over the next two years and you have a scenario that makes sense. Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi recently called Marlins GM Admin Beinfest and told him to check back with him before dealing Burnett, so we'll see if something gets done.

Views

The Jays are even more desperate for quality starting pitching given the Roy "Doc" Halladay injury and Burnett would be a very solid patch to that problem, and eventual number two when Doc is able to return. If Burnett makes the move, he'll be going from an extreme pitcher's park to an extreme hitter's park which would make predicting his success much more difficult. Burnett is likely to be somewhere besides Florida when the trade deadline hits and for now, only time will tell.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marlins: Leiter may be designated for assignment

Marlins pitcher Al Leiter hasn't had it quite as easy in his second go around with the club. After 11 wins and a World Series title in 1997, Leiter spent seven years with the Mets before returning to South Florida this season and posting an ugly 3-7 record, 6.64 ERA, and 1.85 WHIP. According to two baseball sources, the Marlins are giving strong consideration to cutting ties with the veteran left-hander. In the most likely scenario, he would be designated for assignment, which would give the team 10 days to trade or release the 158-game winner, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports. He is scheduled to start on Monday, but manager Jack McKeon is non-committal on who his starter will be for that game.

Views

Leiter has drawn zero trade interest from other clubs, so it would seem likely that he is reaching the end of an 18-year road in the major leagues. We highly doubt there is any scenario that would see him on fantasy rosters at this point, but if you're holding on to him with the hopes of resurgence, you are living a pipe dream.

Just my two cents:

Knowing the way the media works (and knowing how pathetic the baseball coverage is in South Florida), I find that a lot of the AJ rumors are simply regurgitated info from the Baltimore Sun, and that in turn is reported as "new news" by the beatwriters at the Herald and Sun-Sentinel. Not to say that there isn't something possibly going on, but I highly doubt any trade is imminent if we play well over the next 14 days.

Remember, Loria, in an interview with the Herald, said that he hadn't even begun contract negotiations with AJ, something that you'd feel would predicate any trade talk when a team is very much in contention for a playoff spot. Simply put, I think AJ will remain with the team for as long as we play well...kind of like Lowell in '03.

Just my two cents:

Knowing the way the media works (and knowing how pathetic the baseball coverage is in South Florida), I find that a lot of the AJ rumors are simply regurgitated info from the Baltimore Sun, and that in turn is reported as "new news" by the beatwriters at the Herald and Sun-Sentinel. Not to say that there isn't something possibly going on, but I highly doubt any trade is imminent if we play well over the next 14 days.

Remember, Loria, in an interview with the Herald, said that he hadn't even begun contract negotiations with AJ, something that you'd feel would predicate any trade talk when a team is very much in contention for a playoff spot. Simply put, I think AJ will remain with the team for as long as we play well...kind of like Lowell in '03.

854916[/snapback]

it could also mean that he has no intentions of starting contract negotiations b/c he knows its a lost cause.

Just my two cents:

854916[/snapback]

it could also mean that he has no intentions of starting contract negotiations b/c he knows its a lost cause.

854977[/snapback]

Alot of GM's/players dont like to talk contracts during the regular season because it is a distraction...Something else to consider...

Just my two cents:

Knowing the way the media works (and knowing how pathetic the baseball coverage is in South Florida), I find that a lot of the AJ rumors are simply regurgitated info from the Baltimore Sun, and that in turn is reported as "new news" by the beatwriters at the Herald and Sun-Sentinel.? Not to say that there isn't something possibly going on, but I highly doubt any trade is imminent if we play well over the next 14 days.

Remember, Loria, in an interview with the Herald, said that he hadn't even begun contract negotiations with AJ, something that you'd feel would predicate any trade talk when a team is very much in contention for a playoff spot.? Simply put, I think AJ will remain with the team for as long as we play well...kind of like Lowell in '03.

854916[/snapback]

854977[/snapback]