AJ wants Marlins to keep him informed

MIAMI - (KRT) - If the Florida Marlins aren't intending to deal A.J. Burnett before Sunday's 4 p.m. EDT trade deadline, the pitcher said he'd like the front office to tell him now in order to end the suspense.

"I wouldn't mind seeing somebody around here coming to tell me, `Hey, you're all right. Don't worry about anything. Go out there and pitch.' Let me know what's going on," said Burnett, whose start on Saturday afternoon against the Nationals potentially could be his last for the Marlins.

Two years ago, the Marlins informed Mike Lowell on July 1 that he wouldn't be traded.

General manager Admin Beinfest said at the time that the organization "definitely stepped out of school" when it went public with its decision but that the front office "really wanted to end the speculation" and "put Mike at rest."

Burnett still doesn't know for sure what his immediate future will bring, but there remains a chance he could be traded, perhaps to Boston.

The Red Sox could be the one team capable of working out a contract extension for the right-hander, who can become a free agent after the season.

Any deal involving the Red Sox likely would include pitcher Bronson Arroyo. The Red Sox had a front-office executive in attendance at Friday's game.

The Marlins also remain in discussions with the Pittsburgh Pirates about left-handed pitcher Mark Redman, and are also said to be among several teams - including the Houston Astros and San Francisco Giants - looking at Seattle reliever Ron Villone. The Pirates are thought to have interest in Marlins minor-league pitcher Yorman Bazardo.

As for Burnett, he's simply looking forward to Sunday to end the speculation once and for all.

"I shouldn't have to ask," Burnett said. "I shouldn't have to go to them and say, `Hey, what's going on?' They walk through here. I see them every day. They always say hello. I guess that means I'm here one more day."

Burnett is not bitter or angry, though. He said he would prefer to finish out the season with the Marlins before testing the free agent market.

"I think I'm here and I hope I stay here," he said.

Despite the distractions, Burnett has pitched better of late, winning his past two starts.

"The night before he starts I think about it quite a bit so, hopefully, the day I pitch I wake up and I won't have one thought about it," Burnett said. "Maybe they should talk about trading me before every start."

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...ts/12260793.htm